Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Using Clay Mitts vs Traditional Claying

Has anyone used a clay mitt? If so, how do they compare to using "traditional claying"? Do you have a favorite brand and what are the steps you used?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using Clay Mitts vs Traditional Claying

Quote Originally Posted by bes225 View Post
    Has anyone used a clay mitt? If so, how do they compare to using "traditional claying"? Do you have a favorite brand and what are the steps you used?
    I have a Nanoskin Autoscrub. It`s not a mitt, it goes on my PC 7424XP. It`s certainly faster than traditional clay, but I`m not 100% sold it does a better job overall.

I use Riccardo Yellow Clay for the tight spots the Autoscrub can`t get to, and when I`m in the mood to clay my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I`m only taking care of our two cars I use the Nanoskin Speedy Prep Sponge as it`s much less expensive than the mitts. I find it much faster and safer than using clay in that you can rinse it off after every panel. If you drop it you can also just rinse it off. It`s also able to get into tight spots because of it`s shape.

I wash the car, rinse, IronX decontamination, rinse, Nanoskin decontamination with waterless wash as a lube, rinse, dry then on to polishing etc.

"If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Only conventional claying for me. Can`t see how the mitts/towels could be used without a greatly increased risk of marring and I`m not gonna polish my paint if I can avoid it. But then my clay technique is kinda extreme...not like I go inches without kneading/replacing my clay since IMO as soon as it picks up anything abrasive it turns into sandpaper. Plus, I clay so gently as to basically just "clay the LSP clean". Just never seem to need to do a serious decontamination any more.

Now OTOH, if a vehicle had hideous contamination, *AND* I were gonna do a serious correction anyhow, I *might* consider one of the mitts/towels...if, for some reason, I weren`t just doing a Chemical Decontamination, which is almost certainly what I would do. Eh, nah...I`d just ABC it and maybe clay while the stuff is dwelling. That`s taken care of worse contamination than I`ll ever encounter again.

Now OTOH...for a Pro, where time is money, vehicles are often in terrible condition, a full correction is in the works anyhow, and long-term clearcoat survival is somebody else`s concern..then sure, use whatever works both effectively and efficiently. For anybody else I dunno...
    Likes Alweeja liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel – Fine Grade for years with good results. I have not seen any micro marring from the FINE GRADE.
    I had a 2010 White Ford F150 recently that was "covered" in grey paint overspray from painters spray painting the house next door to his.
    For that I used the Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine Foam Pad – 6 inch on a PC 7424xp and it made short work of removing 95% of the overspray.
    There were a "few" areas and curves that I followed up with a traditional clay bar in order to remove overspray in the small curvy areas.

When my current towel "wears out" my next purchase will be a Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt instead of a towel. Why you ask?
    I fold the towel into 4 sections (like I do microfiber towels) and if the polymerized rubber is not wet with clay lube the rubber sticks together.
    A mitt is one sided, I can put my hand inside and should easily be able to decon the worst of the contaminants with the one side of the mitt.
    The advantage of the towel is that I have 8 clean sides (although much smaller) to work from and I can continue without constant rinsing.

Now is a mitt "better" than a traditional clay bar? I`ve found that on "most" vehicles (after Iron-X and a thorough rinse) the Autoscrub works fine.
    Even if (after the baggie test) I still find a few specks left behind, I then use traditional clay to refine the surface for any "orphaned" contaminants.

Short version: The Autoscrub works 90% of the time. If traditional clay is needed for a follow up, the clay bar is MUCH cleaner when you are done.
    I can do 50+ vehicles with an Autoscrub. If you drop Autoscrub on the ground you can rinse it off. I`m lucky if I get 4-5 vehicles out of a clay bar.

IMHO the (Autoscrub FINE GRADE) is a worthwhile investment. It makes your quality clay bars stay cleaner and they last much longer.

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Likes grungy, nickclark08, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used both the fine and medium grade Nanoskin Autoscrub mitts with good results -- the medium grade works wonders on neglected paint. I haven`t seen any marring attributable to the use of the mitts.

I also bought the Nanoskin Autoscrub disk for my DA, but haven`t used it at all -- you can`t feel how it interacts with the paint and any contaminants that may be on the surface, so what`s the point?
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that the Nano towel does an adequate job if your paint doesn`t have a bunch of crap on it. I think that a clay bar does a better job if you have lots of contamination on your paint.
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Merlin - had a neighbor borrow my older Nanoskin fine grade to remove overspray. He was about to spend 8+ hours with clay that would not last for the work being done. 30+ minutes later, he gave me back my towel and clay lube a happy person. The towel is the only think I use on my SUV (soooo much real estate to cover) and yes clay can only cover those fine areas that the towel cannot fit into or is too awkward to work with. If you have mostly large flat panels to deal with, clay is pricey when it gets dropped or full of gunk. I like my towel very much for this purpose.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009
    Likes Merlin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I held off on the sponges for a long time waiting for the hype train to head outta town. I finally came around. Kinda feel foolish on this one. It speeds up claying so much. It`s like comparing using a machine to polish vs by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an OLD vid but you get the idea...(turn on the audio and watch and listen till the end)
    The video shows you can "hear" and "feel" contaminants being easily removed with the towel.

Currently my favorite "Clay Lube" product is Carpro Immolube. It is a concentrated product.
    I like concentrated products. I don`t like "watered down" products or paying to "ship" water.

Side Note: The first time I used Carpro Immolube I used it full strenght. It was ridiculous!!!
    Be sure and dilute it to suit the purpose and tool. I personally use 10:1 & that works for me.

Dilutions:
    Claying 1:5
    Wet Sanding: 1:10

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Likes JustJesus, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Merlin ... do you prefer the Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel over the Speedy Prep Towel in the video?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    Merlin ... do you prefer the Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel over the Speedy Prep Towel in the video?
    Remember the saying "Find something you like and use it often"?

I have not used the Speedy Prep Towel. My guess is they are about 50/50???

I have always used the Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel products and they work for me.

BTW - as I mentioned...I have tried MANY different "clay lube" products. I like Immolube!

Wanna have some fun? Spray Immolube full strength on a "spot" and try to rinse it off! It`s a riot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    IMHO the (Autoscrub FINE GRADE) is a worthwhile investment. It makes your quality clay bars stay cleaner and they last much longer.
    Agreed. I have plenty of clay bars (Poorboy will attest to that!) but I prefer using clay alternatives for the bulk of my work. I reserve the bars for special jobs (as in, when I don`t want to bother the LSP, Accumulator style).

I mainly use the Autoscrub (fine) 6" foam pad: by machine if I`m working on a neglected car that is in for a big correction job; by hand using the Nanoskin Hand Strap if I`m working on a car that will get a light (or no) polishing.

I also have the Autoscrub Speed Prep Sponges for tighter areas.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Nanoskin fine mitt and will never go back to traditional clay. Game changer
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nanoskin or Griots medium grade mitt and Glide for lube, rarely do I touch clay now days. I use the pads on the DA for glass.
    Likes grungy liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information