Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Possibility of adding Pay After Delivery as a Pay Pal option?

I would definitely order more stuff if PayPal had Pay After Delivery on here. I`m not exactly sure if it`s up to the site, or up to Pay Pal who gets it and who doesn`t. I see PAD on many sites, but I`ve also saw a bunch that don`t offer it. For those who don`t know what it is, basically PayPal will let you order something and you won`t be charged for 14 days. It`s great for broke people like me lol.

I asked about this on AGO sometime last year, Nick responded he wasn`t sure and would look into it. I dunno if he forgot, or just didn`t update that thread. But there`s still no PAD on AGO. Any chance of seeing it here?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Possibility of adding Pay After Delivery as a Pay Pal option?

You mean Pay Pal credit?

Sounds like exactly what a Credit Card would do for you if that is the route you want to go. You dont have to pay right away.

NOT that I recommend credit or especially credit cards.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    You mean Pay Pal credit?

Sounds like exactly what a Credit Card would do for you if that is the route you want to go. You dont have to pay right away.

NOT that I recommend credit or especially credit cards.
    Hey credit cards are one of the greatest tools for purchasing things. And the advantages that some provide are well worth an annual fee. The trick to credit cards is that you MUST pay them off on time each month. If you can`t afford it today you shouldn`t plan on being able to pay for it tomorrow.

Quebert,

I understand why you are asking but to me it seems PAD would be geared more for buying things on say eBay where you don`t know that what you ordered is what you are actually getting.

Granted I don`t order but once or twice a year, the Autopia Store has never gotten an order wrong. I even accidentally doubled an order once and they paid for the return shipping on my mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above. PAD seems geared to where there is a higher possibility of being in a transaction where you don`t receive what you ordered. It isn`t a really a financing mechanism. More of a buyer protection vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    Hey credit cards are one of the greatest tools for purchasing things. And the advantages that some provide are well worth an annual fee. The trick to credit cards is that you MUST pay them off on time each month. If you can`t afford it today you shouldn`t plan on being able to pay for it tomorrow.
    Unsecured credit cards are one of the greatest, if not the #1, tools for wrecking people`s personal finances. This is absolutely terrible advice, even with the caveat of paying it off each month... I won`t say that there`s never a need to use credit, but for the majority of the population who can`t control spending urges, complete a monthly budget or pay bills on time, a credit card is a recipe for disaster. This kind of thinking exemplifies everything wrong with our consumer culture - we all want what we want right now, even though we don`t have the funds to buy it, so we use someone else`s money at 25% interest to buy it... Just looked up, and per Google, the average American owes $15K in credit card debt... That`s utterly and absolutely ludicrous...

The sound financial advice would be that if you`re too broke to pay upfront for some detailing supplies, maybe you need to wait to buy detailing supplies. Not that that`s what anyone wants to hear, nor is it what you asked.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.
    Likes Dwayne@Poorboys, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks Dwayne@Poorboys, rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some of us used to be $52k in debt not counting their house. Probably $12k+ of that was CCs that were obviously not paid off every month. After seeing how dumb debt is I will never buy ANYTHING on credit of ANY KIND again. SOME people can use CC`s the smartest way possible and pay them off every month but the majority cannot and will not, how do you think the CC companies make so much money?

Im glad Jared said it how he did cause I can never seem to put it nicely. To me DEBT IS DUMBBBBBBBBB! STUPID!!! HORRIBLE! It makes you a slave to the lender. Think about it, who are the people saying that debt is a tool? THE CREDIT COMPANIES...and car dealers. Just the type of people you want to learn how to handle money from right? People with WHOS interest in their heart? Yours or theirs??????

Sorry OP, I`m not calling you or anyone else dumb. I don`t care what you or "they" do I just wish "they" could walk in my old shoes of the burden of debt and learn without having to go through it.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    Likes rlmccarty2000, Dwayne@Poorboys liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not unfamiliar with credit card debt. In my younger (and honestly more impatient) years, I used credit cards and got into some CC debt. Thankfully, I have learned from the errors of my past. There`s times when debt is unavoidable in most cases - say a mortgage for instance. But guys - if you`re going into debt for stuff like detailing supplies, please step back and take a look at what you`re doing. Consumable items on 25% interest loans is a terrible idea. I can`t even fathom how someone would advise another person that credit cards are a useful tool in that regard.
    Likes Dwayne@Poorboys liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Unsecured credit cards are one of the greatest, if not the #1, tools for wrecking people`s personal finances. This is absolutely terrible advice, even with the caveat of paying it off each month... I won`t say that there`s never a need to use credit, but for the majority of the population who can`t control spending urges, complete a monthly budget or pay bills on time, a credit card is a recipe for disaster. This kind of thinking exemplifies everything wrong with our consumer culture - we all want what we want right now, even though we don`t have the funds to buy it, so we use someone else`s money at 25% interest to buy it... Just looked up, and per Google, the average American owes $15K in credit card debt... That`s utterly and absolutely ludicrous...

The sound financial advice would be that if you`re too broke to pay upfront for some detailing supplies, maybe you need to wait to buy detailing supplies. Not that that`s what anyone wants to hear, nor is it what you asked.
    I actually said not buy something if you can`t afford it in my post...

I am speaking from my own experience when I say that credit cards are a great tool for purchasing things. I have never been in credit card debt, I pay off my credit card each and every month, and I rack up some pretty awesome miles by doing so. Obviously 25% interest is absurd and should be avoided at all costs.

Debt is absolutely a tool though. How do you think companies finance things like R&D or expansion? Often by issuing bonds, which are a form of debt.
    How do most people buy homes or cars? By taking out a loan with financing company. And interest rates are as low as the will probably ever be for most of our lifetimes.

We have a car financed at .99%, that is next to nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

You`re the exception to the norm in the credit card regard. All you gotta do is look at the multi-billion dollar industry of credit card interest and the millions of people in unsecured debt that can`t make monthly minimums to see how predatory of a business model it is. Using debt as leverage is one thing - unsecured consumer debt is another. One can be used as a tool, the other is a terrible idea for a vast majority of people. Advising someone to use a debt instrument to purchase consumable items is terrible advice - you won`t convince me otherwise. Using an oranges to apples comparison of different kinds of debt doesn`t help.

Again, sometimes debt is unavoidable, like I said before. But anytime you`re paying someone else to use their money, it`s costing you. That may be reasonable on a house, maybe even a car, but it`s totally absurd on consumer goods. Even at .99%, over a 60 month span on a car, the cost of you paying to use the bank`s money is more than just the current value of those interest payments. I`m not saying "don`t ever use debt." I`m saying using a credit card is the absolute worst from of debt you can use and that it`s terrible advice to give someone.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for this misunderstanding. I was not intentionally advising someone to use credit cards as a form of debt. I merely meant that when used responsibly, credit cards are a useful means of payment.

Post Thanks / Like

And to your point of "most people use it to buy cars etc"...that doesn`t make it a good decision just cause others are doing it.
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    And to your point of "most people use it to buy cars etc"...that doesn`t make it a good decision just cause others are doing it.
    Guess we will just have to agree to disagree. You and I clearly have differing opinions regarding debt and it`s uses.
    Likes dcjredline, Dwayne@Poorboys liked this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

the Thread certainly has taken a turn but here`s my 2 cents

Credit cards have their place for some and most people ...

can`t check into a hotel without a card

most rental car companies require a credit card

some credit cards give extra warranties

some give miles or money back

having credit cards help build credit to buy a home

all that being said , just like almost everything in this life it can be abused and you have to ask yourself do I WANT this or do I NEED it.

as far as using credit in a detailing situation, I have dealt with many who are in over their heads and ask why they are buying Detailing Products ....

there were only 2 good answers I have heard
    1) was he was planning on making a lot more from using the products detailing other people`s vehicles.
    2) a guy was trading in his truck and wanted more on the trade ... bought a $15 bottle with a credit card and came back the next day and told me the dealer gave him $1500 more towards the trade.

credit is a privilege not an right ... you have to earn it!
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes Dwayne@Poorboys, WaxAddict liked this post
    Thanks FIDOAG14 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    the Thread certainly has taken a turn but here`s my 2 cents

Credit cards have their place for some and most people ...

can`t check into a hotel without a card - FALSE you can do it with your DEBIT card. I know you said card but you probably meant credit card. I just went to Carlisle PA and checked in just fine using my debit card. I have no Credit Cards.

most rental car companies require a credit card - FALSE AGAIN Most do not require a CC, most make it MUCH easier to get with a CC. You can use a utility bill and a check for the majority of them, there are only a few who do not accept debit/checks. Ive also looked into this when I was going to make a trip to NC last year. Plus if you search for Dave Ramsey you will see that he travels more than all of us combined and does not have a CC.

some credit cards give extra warranties - You pay (if you do not pay it off each month) a whole lot for a warranty in interest. Ill take my chances with the broken item and having money in the bank to fix or get another instead of paying interest and owing a bank.

some give miles or money back - Never made anyone rich. Its a game and they(CC Companies) invented it, do you think they do it cause the consumer wins? Nope. Its to get people (who dont pay it off every month) to use their card versus someone elses card.

having credit cards help build credit to buy a home - Building credit is the worst reason to have one. You build credit so you can have more credit which builds your credit so you can have more credit. See the cycle. There are some banks who will still MANUALLY underwrite a mortgage. They just wont do it if you are broke and wont do it on a house you cant afford. Stricter rules.

all that being said , just like almost everything in this life it can be abused and you have to ask yourself do I WANT this or do I NEED it.

as far as using credit in a detailing situation, I have dealt with many who are in over their heads and ask why they are buying Detailing Products ....

there were only 2 good answers I have heard
    1) was he was planning on making a lot more from using the products detailing other people`s vehicles.
    2) a guy was trading in his truck and wanted more on the trade ... bought a $15 bottle with a credit card and came back the next day and told me the dealer gave him $1500 more towards the trade.

credit is a privilege not an right ... you have to earn it!
    See the truth in blue. I am also not trying to pick on you either, they are myths that have been told for so long that everyone believes them now.
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    Guess we will just have to agree to disagree. You and I clearly have differing opinions regarding debt and it`s uses.
    We can, and it doesn`t make me dislike anyone it`s just not for me and in my mind there is much more peace not worrying about paying off my cc at the end of the month. Not having consumer debt and as few payments as possible (just my mortgage and utilities) sure makes payday alot more fun. The stress of being in debt was overwhelming to me. Once my house is paid off I will never ever have debt or owe someone money again.
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information