Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Possibility of adding Pay After Delivery as a Pay Pal option?

LOL didn`t think it would start a debate about credit and getting in over your head. PAD is credit, I guess. Plenty of other sites besides Ebay have it as a pay option. Polish Angel`s site has it, as about 5 other detailing sites I order from. I`m not the most financially responsible person, no lol. I use PAD mostly when my funds are low, but a site`s having a good sale and I know I`ll have the money before 14 days is up. PAD requires full payment in 2 weeks, so it`s not exactly like credit. I don`t make a lot of $$$, so even if I don`t waste money I`d still usually be just a bit short when I come on here and see a 20% + free shipping deal. And as for it being geared more to smaller companies where delivery will be questionable. I use it on Newegg, which is one of the largest online retailer, and they have some of the best shipping around. For me comes in especially useful when I order something for a client where they will reimburse me, but not right away.

Post Thanks / Like

Debt is MUCH easier than saving money but let me tell you being debt free is worth all the "pain" of not having payments. No where worth going is easy to get to. But it is worth it when you get there
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

No dislike or hate here.

I`ve read Total Money Makeover and am aware of that Dave Ramsey style of debt free living.

The fact of life is most are not willing to live the "debt free lifestyle".

Personally, I am comfortable making a car and a home payment and I keep a pretty rigid budget which accounts for every single dollar that comes in or goes out. Also have a safety net and solid retirement plan that doesn`t lean on any chance of social security.

I don`t think credit/debt is a bad thing when used responsibly.
    I imagine everyone has a different definition of responsible too.
    Likes dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Both sides have validity. I agree that carrying high interest debt is very bad and credit cards may also be used for good.

For example, the Walmart store card now provides 3% cashback when used for purchases at Walmart.com. Walmart sells food online at competitive prices but you do need to comparison shop each item to be certain. Many items ship well such as oatmeal, coffee, cereal, snacks, canned food and many more items. Value shipping is free on orders over $50 so the food is delivered right to your door. Pay the bill in full every month (with the money you would have spent on food anyway) to avoid paying interest and net 3% cash back as a statement credit each month just for using their card.

You don`t have to deal with any people. You can buy perishable items such as fresh fruit, veggies, meat, bread and dairy anywhere else that you prefer and there is no downside that I can think of. This is just one example as I am always looking for ways to make things work for me.
    Dwayne McPeeks
    Operations Manager at Poorboy`s World

Poorboy`s World Polishing & Detailing Products at Autopia Car Care
    Likes FIDOAG14, dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    Don,

No dislike or hate here.

I`ve read Total Money Makeover and am aware of that Dave Ramsey style of debt free living.

The fact of life is most are not willing to live the "debt free lifestyle".

Personally, I am comfortable making a car and a home payment and I keep a pretty rigid budget which accounts for every single dollar that comes in or goes out. Also have a safety net and solid retirement plan that doesn`t lean on any chance of social security.

I don`t think credit/debt is a bad thing when used responsibly.
    I imagine everyone has a different definition of responsible too.
    Good for you man! I think everyone should read that book. Even if you are doing smart things with money it will still teach you a couple things. It has changed my life. I wish I was able to control debt the way you do (then I could drive new cars again) lol but I just cant keep from having a balance. I know this about myself and I have to keep myself away completely. I could discuss debt for hours with people cause I feel so strongly about it and think its a good thing to talk about.

I`m trying to raise my daughter to be debt free forever. I can`t imagine how much money I could have right now if I never played with debt!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me sick just thinking about the CAR DEBT alone I have done.

SORRY OP to have taken this off topic but it is at least slightly relevant.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    Likes FIDOAG14 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It is interesting that we have low interest rates but credit card rates are still astronomical.

I do not lease cars despie financial people saying it is cheaper. I want to own them and not have a monthly payment.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    It is interesting that we have low interest rates but credit card rates are still astronomical.

I do not lease cars despie financial people saying it is cheaper. I want to own them and not have a monthly payment.
    Bunky,

Leasing your car is definitely a topic for another (lengthy) thread! I can`t help but think people get screwed on those deals more often than not. There are quite a few more variables at play than just a conventional loan. What really scares me away from them is negotiating what the future depreciated value on the car is going to be.
    My take on leasing is that it`s like renting an apartment, nothing wrong with it, but you aren`t putting your money into anything that`s "yours".

Post Thanks / Like

A new car period depreciates faster than ever. In 4 years the average car loses 50-70% of its value. So even at a low interest rate purchase you are paying in depreciation. The smartest way to buy a car (on a loan) is to buy when the depreciation is already hit. 3-4 years old. An example of this is on a $35k car average will lose 19k in 4 years.
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information