• I care a bit

9 21.43%
  • I care a moderate amount

10 23.81%
  • I won't buy without an intact seal

5 11.90%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, due to threats of legal action, my other thread on unsealed products was sadly deleted. I hope the (unnamed) manufacturer got the message though. I was sincerely trying to help them, although they thought otherwise. Anyway, moving on ... talking of acrylic or synthetic sealers, who here can say off the top of his/her head which ones are sealed? I`m finding that here in Australia I cannot get my hands on most of the best brands (Klasse, Zaino etc). The most widely available are Megs, Armor All, Turtle Wax, and other OTC stuff. Megs NXT seems overrated to me, and very pricey here too (AUD$40).

Other than that, what do you feel about having your products sealed when you buy them? The implication is that I am the only one who likes to see a virginal seal on an expensive product. It gives me real confidence that I`m getting the real McCoy. Anyone else feel that way, or is this just a private perversion of mine?

Post Thanks / Like
    I could care less. All that will do is add more money to the packaging and tick me off! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not concerned about anybody switching my product for something else or otherwise tampering with it. But I can see how seals will keep something from spilling/leaking/drying out if the bottle isn`t vertical though so on a practical level I`d say they`re a good thing.

Seems like most of the products I use come with a seal. While I usually only think about it in a negative way ("argh...I gotta go get something to get this #@&% seal off!") it`s probably a good thing. But if a product doesn`t have one I don`t care unless there`s been spillage/spoilage. And in those cases the vendors I deal with have always taken my word for it and sent a replacement. But yeah, the seal would`ve meant no problems to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like
    A sealed bottle of wax is the last thing i will worry about in my life.

I would actually go find Waldo before i even made a post about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubba
    The implication is that I am the only one who likes to see a virginal seal on an expensive product. It gives me real confidence that I`m getting the real McCoy. Anyone else feel that way, or is this just a private perversion of mine?
    The latter, I suspect.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kgb
    I could care less.

Agreed. I don`t see the concern.
    Bryan

2003 Mustang Cobra

SSR2.5/ UPP/ Maintained with TOL Bubble Wash/QEW & QS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some interesting and amusing replies to this poll. I suspect most of you saying that you couldn`t care less about seals are basically unaware of the ease with which products can be stolen and adulterated by store staff, to say nothing of the out-of-control situation in the USA with returns by customers. What do I mean by that?

Firstly, in relation to store staff: most shrinkage in retail occurs via staff. The best waxes and sealants are quite expensive and would make a nice side-line of income for staff. It`s so darned easy to open a bottle, pour some into an empty container, top the bottle up with water, give it a shake to mix the product up and make it look normal, and replace on the shelf. Do that to 3 bottles and you`ve got a whole extra full bottle of pricey product to use or sell! At minimum wage, which is what people working at auto parts stores usually make, it`s a no-brainer for boosting income. You think that`s far fetched? I suggest you speak to people who are experts in "shrinkage". They`ll support what I`m saying.

Secondly, there is the problem with customers. In the USA, and to a lesser extent in Australia, there is a very free and easy attitude to returns. Staff basically don`t check the condition of stuff returned. They simply put it back on sale if it looks ok. They don`t send it back to the supplier the way they should. It`s so bad at W**mart that if ever I buy something there, I carefully check the condition of what I`m buying. I`ve been caught so many times buying stuff that was pre-used from that store! You see, that`s the down side of the easy return policy that pertains in most stores. Yes, it`s nice to just return stuff, but then, on the other side, you have to be wary of buying the returned stuff.

It`s really laughable to see those of you with a negative opinion of sealing a product! It costs pennies, and is actually used as a matter of course in products that are properly designed. The products that do not use it are often badly designed, and have lids or caps that prevent the use of seals. I would not buy many cheap items without seals, especially food items, and that applies so much more to expensive products like polishes. Sure, polish and wax are not food, but they are often quite pricey products that many of us keep for years and apply to the surface of our second most expensive investment: our cars! But some of you think that this is not important, and you`re prepared to take this risk. :shocked

In short, I think those who either don`t care about seals or don`t want them, or think that caring about them is silly, are all a little bit dumb on this topic!

Flame away :hide:

Post Thanks / Like
    :lol You`re well on your way to a banning

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that your secret hope? Why would I get banned for challenging your opinion?

:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think that he`s going to be banned. I just think that`s his opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

I like having seals on my liquid products for no other reason but to make sure nothing spills out during shipping.
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    :lol You`re well on your way to a banning
    :chuckle: Yeah, nobody cares about the seal because NOBODY WOULD DECANT 30% OF A BOTTLE OF SEALANT, dammit! The reason there are seals on food/drug products is that it could cause health damage if tampered with...that ain`t the case with this. Seriously Shubba, I wish I had as much time as you to worry about such things.

And BTW, the only detailing product I have found that was sealed was Lexol. I have stuff made by Meguiar`s, Mothers, Turtle Wax, Eagle One, Detailers Pride, Poorboy`s, Black Magic, DuPont, and others, and none of them were sealed. Nor do I care.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont really see why you suspect so much, store employees couldnt care less, at least around me they are all older and really know nothing about cars... Im sorry but im glad the detailing world has not adopted seals, it is kind of an unspoken trust...idk....one of the reasons i choose not to live in the ghetto...people dont do crap like that where i live, i mean what kind of world would we live in if we would ahve to worry about something so stupid? give me a break...

-Justin
    "God made turbo lag so V8`s could keep up!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubba
    Is that your secret hope? Why would I get banned for challenging your opinion?

:nixweiss

I never offered my opinion. I`ve just been around long enough to know when someone begins pushing their limits.

I don`t hope you get banned, nor do I think you should be necessarily, but when someone`s thread gets deleted and they come right back with a similar post...it usually doesn`t turn out well.

Post Thanks / Like
    So far, 50% don`t care if their waxes and polishes are pristine and sealed, but 50% do. Manufacturer`s please note: up to half of your customers want those seals!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that there is no seal on a bottle is of such little consequence to me that I worry more about picking the lint out of my belly button before it gets all cheesey.

Furthermore, the likelihood of someone taking the time to tamper with a bottle or two of wax out of an entire shelf is remote and silly. Should someone, in the rare event, tamper with the bottle, then bring it back and exchange it.

In order to prevent this tragedy from occuring to begin with, and to put an end to your obsession, the easiest thing to do is twist off the cap and take a looksy to see if either:

1) a criminal investigation needs to occur

or

2) it looks perfectly fine to purchase.

This simple step would alleviate your seal-less neuroses.

IN FACT, just today I purchased 3 bottles of tomato juice of the variety that I find to be the most tasty. When I brought it home, to my dismay and shock, the seal was slightly broken! "Cripes!" I exclaimed as got back into my horseless carriage and traversed back to the store. I was ready to verbally assault the cashier when she simply handed me back my $1.79 (roughly 2.4395 in Aussie dollars or 4.8781 Somoa Talas if you`re keeping track).

The important things in life are sealed - medicine, vitamins, Tylenol, condoms, juice boxes, fruit roll- ups, cream cheese and Crystal Light iced tea mix.

The moral of the story and hopefully to put an end to your saga is, open the damn cap in the store and look to see if some pimply 17 year old store clerk tampered with your wax.

p.s. - change that font
    Seth

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information