View Poll Results: how often do you use masking tape to cover trim/panel separations?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • never use it

34 40.00%
  • only sometimes (when i have extra time)

29 34.12%
  • high end/top dollar clients only

5 5.88%
  • always use (from geo's to benz's)

17 20.00%

Thread: masking tape

Post Thanks / Like
    next week i will be doing an interior/exterior detail on a white clk 230. since this is a nice car and the owner has deep pockets, im going to tape off all trim so that no polish or wax will get on it and possibly discolor it. i am pretty good at keeping polish and wax off the trim without taping it up but this time i want to go the extra mile for this lady. my question is: what is the best way to remove any tape glue/tape lines left over after removing the tape from the surface?

any suggestions/comments greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by shaunthebadass

.. what is the best way to remove any tape glue/tape lines left over after removing the tape from the surface?
    The best way is to avoid them in the first place by using a fresh roll of high quality painter`s tape instead of old or cheap masking tape.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by the other pc

The best way is to avoid them in the first place by using a fresh roll of high quality painter`s tape instead of old or cheap masking tape.......
    Very good tip! I like 3M brand blue painters tape..... the cheap and off-brand blue painters tape doesn`t work as well for me.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    at work we use this blue tape they call "fine line" which is excellent at preventing anything from getting under it. we use it for painting stripes on top of new paint. it comes in several widths. Its also very good at peeling off without leaving a mark, which is important on paint that is barely dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    What products are you using? Many of us, myself included, carry certain paint products onto the trim for cleaning and protection. Not only do you get excellent results but you will not be dealing with dressings that may run or risk getting the dressings on the paint.

Otherwise, use QUALITY painters tape (3M). There are less expensive brands of painter tape and they are equivalent to masking tape in that they leave behind residue, do not release, etc.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Masking Tape:

Mask-off around windows, badges, and door handles and any bodywork vinyl trim, using 3M`s Scotch® Safe-Release TM Painters` Masking Tape, this tape removes cleanly from a paint film or glass surface without adhesive transfer or surface damage for up to 14 days - even when exposed to direct sunlight. It is a medium adhesion tape with a flexible crepe backing allows for exceptional conformability to semi-smooth surfaces. When removing masking tape pull the tape close to and horizontal to the surface. Avoid pulling the tape in an upward direction as it possible to lift paint (especially on re-painted finishes)
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always use the Blue stuff when needed .
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently, there have been some problems reported with the 3M blue tape. I`ve not experienced any problems, or read this entire article, but here`s what I came across:

http://www.practical-sailor.com/pub/...es/5044-1.html

Post Thanks / Like
    3M Blue painter`s tape but I have NO problems with the "Blue Duck" brand from Wal-Mart. A little cheaper and works exactly like it should. I stopped buying the 3m. Buy various widths. 3/4" and 1" mostly.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you guys for all of the help, i went today to lowes and purchased the 3M all surface masking tape. ill try it out and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody know the smallest ( thinnest) width available? Often I`m finding the "common" size to be a bit too wide
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

Anybody know the smallest ( thinnest) width available? Often I`m finding the "common" size to be a bit too wide
    I think Scotch-Blue goes down to ¾". Some of there other stuff goes down to 12mm. Here`s 3M`s tape page If you`re interested in digging through it.

PC.

Thread Information