Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail City Rule: To Link or not to Link?

A link can contain either some sharing their personal experience with or opinion of a detailing product or process or it can also be specific information about a product or chemical ( silicone, acrylic, sodium hydroxide, isopropyl alcohol, etc). I also somtimes find it difficult to discern whether or not what is written, here on DC or elsewhere, is established, unchallengable fact or strictly opinion as well. Sounds like we are in the same boat.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

i think stressing the SEARCH feature will save people from answering the same questions over and over again....if someone asks a common question just respond by saying Search

Post Thanks / Like

Dwayne, Fuzz,

I`m impressed with Detail City. It is the first detailing forum that I was directed to. Since joining DC, I`ve also joined autopia. I`ve even seen other detailing forums, but have decided not to join them as there are only 24 hours in a day.

Reading threads about detailing is, for me, like reading the sports pages of several newspapers for others. I don`t mind reading the same story over and over again, from different points of view, because each one has bits and pieces that another one might not discuss.

This detailing thing has become an addiction, and I`ve learned so much in so little time. DC has features that other forums do not, and vice versa. So, to get the full experience, I enjoy flip-flopping between both forums (and The Motley Fool - the first forum I joined 6 years ago - it is not a detailing forum).

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pappy
    i think stressing the SEARCH feature will save people from answering the same questions over and over again....if someone asks a common question just respond by saying Search
    Actually, this subject comes up every once in awhile. We are Newbie friendly here at DC, and the general consensus is that we should NOT just tell people to "do a search". We strive to be more helpful here. We can do the search ourselves, post a link(s) to an existing thread, then mention that this information was found with the search feature. We can also suggest terms and member names for the person to search under for further information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awd330
    Actually, this subject comes up every once in awhile. We are Newbie friendly here at DC, and the general consensus is that we should NOT just tell people to "do a search". We strive to be more helpful here. We can do the search ourselves, post a link(s) to an existing thread, then mention that this information was found with the search feature. We can also suggest terms and member names for the person to search under for further information.
    So true! Whenever I see people take the time to tell someone to search but not take the time to help it just doesn`t make sense to me.

Dwayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OI812
    I guess I look at it this way, if I tell you something, and you tell it to someone else, and they tell it to someone else, by the time it gets back to me it has changed. If we try to explain what someone else has said, what was originally meant could be change drastically. I guess thats my point.
    That`s VERY true! First, I don`t think there`s any forum, web site, or other that has ALL the answers for anything. I think it is even preferable to quote an excerpt and provide a link to THE SOURCE of that excerpt. I think our goal should be to provide all the answers we can, but direct folks to where they can get a more detailed discussion on specific items. To me that`s every bit as helpful as having ALL the answers.

This is NOT a problem -- let`s not make it one.
    Last edited by JaredPointer; 11-07-2004 at 10:59 PM. Reason: fixed the quote :)

Post Thanks / Like

This is NOT a problem -- let`s not make it one.
    That was always what I thought

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I think as long as the author & source are given proper credit (and avoid any charges of plagarism) we should not have a problem with this issue.

If a link directs you off-site, when you`re done reading then use the back arrow in the upper right-hand corner & you`re right back at DC.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

why make a rule when there is no need for one. i think you got it down Dwayne. information is information andd if it is properly documented ,IMHO, it does not matter. i am a proud member of DC but i also am amember of autopia. each fills my days with many informative threads to which i look forward to reading almost each and everyday.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn`t have said it better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information