225 60.32%
  • Yes before each detail

26 6.97%
  • Yes but only once in a while

122 32.71%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SteveOst

I never use Dawn. The claying, polishing, and cleaning processes will remove everything anyway.

If and only if you are using water-based polishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to be such a science ninny, but from what i remember, the dawn wash solution at typical working concentration read very closely to pH 7. Acids (acid rain, hydrochloric acid) bring pH lower than 7, but that`s an irrelevant correction. Actually my entire point is that pH is irrelevant; dawn works well because it`s a good detergent.

Post Thanks / Like
    No Dawn, EVER, on my cars.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

If and only if you are using water-based polishes.
    I don`t think so. I`m quite sure that AIO will take it all off. I use Dawn as a presoak to clean my MF`s and my pads. Never would even consider washing my car with it, and quite frankly don`t think that I would use someone`s product that recommends that as a first time use. I don`t care how good it would look using Zaino.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: Sorry to be such a science ninny, but from what i remember, the dawn wash solution at typical working concentration read very closely to pH 7. Acids (acid rain, hydrochloric acid) bring pH lower than 7, but that`s an irrelevant correction. Actually my entire point is that pH is irrelevant; dawn works well because it`s a good detergent. EOQ raymond_ho2002

pH 101:

A scale of measurement of the relationship between hydrogen and hydroxyl ions, to determine if the material is neutral, basic (alkaline) or acidic (reactive), if there are more hydrogen than hydroxyl ions you have an acid the reverse will give you an alkali (another way to say basic) A substance that is neither acidic nor basic is neutral, pure water has a neutral pH of 7.0.

Each whole pH value below 7 is ten times more acidic than the next higher value. For example, a pH of 4 is ten times more acidic than a pH of 5 and 100 times (10 times 10) more acidic than a pH of 6. The same holds true for pH values above 7, each of which is ten times more alkaline than the next lower whole value. For example, a pH of 10 is ten times more alkaline than a pH of 9.

Acidic and basic are two extremes that describe chemicals, just like hot and cold are two extremes that describe temperature. Mixing acids and bases can cancel out their extreme effects, much like mixing hot and cold water can even out the water temperature.

Chemicals that are very basic or very acidic are called "reactive." These chemicals can cause severe burns. Automobile battery acid is an acidic chemical that is reactive. Automobile batteries contain a stronger form of some of the same acid that is in acid rain. Household drain cleaners often contain lye, a very alkaline chemical that is reactive

The pH scale

Range Reactive Component

0.0â€â€œ1.0 Strong acid Hydrochloric acid

1.0-2.9 Acidic Lemon juice

3.0-4.9 Weak Acid Vinegar (Acetic acid) Oxalic, Orange juice

5.0-6.5 Very weak acid Acid rain

6.6-7.3 Neutral Distilled water

Basic

7.3-9.0 Very weak alkali Car wash concentrate

9.1-10.9 Weak alkali Baking soda, Seawater

11.0-12.9 Alkaline Bleach, Ammonia

13.0-14.0 Strong alkali Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)

Leather cleaners, 7.5 â€â€œ 8.0, Fabric / carpet cleaners, 10.0 â€â€œ 12.0

Chemicals that are very basic (alkaline) or very acidic are called reactive. These chemicals can cause severe burns. Automobile battery acid is an acidic chemical that is reactive; batteries contain a stronger form of some of the same acid that is in acid rain. Household drain cleaners often contain lye, a very alkaline chemical that is reactive. When chemicals are mixed with water, the mixture can become either acidic or basic.

Your entire point that pH is irrelevant is incorrect; it makes a big difference in the way things are â€Ëœcleanedâ€â„¢. With car care products there is no such thing as a â€Ëœgood detergent.â€â„¢ (but thatâ€â„¢s the subject of another post)
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

Quote: Your entire point that pH is irrelevant is incorrect; it makes a big difference in the way things are â€Ëœcleanedâ€â„¢. With car care products there is no such thing as a â€Ëœgood detergent.â€â„¢ (but thatâ€â„¢s the subject of another post)

It is nice that you are quoting from a science book that I probably help edit.

The point of my post was that the pH myth has no bearing on this discussion unless one is using a detergent or cleaning soap straight from the bottle. After dilution (water and Dawn in wash bucket) the pH of the Dawn washing solution is quite within even your pH scale differentiation and quite within your dedicated car washing product perimeters.

A vehicle`s paint or rubber components can NOT differentiate the pH from a car wash or Dawn. As you stated pH is just a log scale of active ions (H+ and -OH) which are the same in both washing agents. So a pH solution of Dawn, important point is solution, and a car wash with the same pH will have the same effect on the paint in terms of active pH determining components.

Until someone can show the real differing factors (surfactants and / or other components) in a detergent (Dawn) and a dedictated car wash product and the mythical paint/trim problem, the pH myth hold no credence.

This Dawn myth has been a backdoor smack at Zaino for years. Otherwise, there is no reason that this point of pre-cleaning draws soooooooo much unwarranted attention.

raymond_ho2002 you were correct in your statement. :xyxthumbs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information