View Poll Results: Is Autopia Properly Serving its Community?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Don't change anything.

141 82.46%
  • Yes, but some of your rules are too restrictive.

17 9.94%
  • No! You have not progressed to meet my needs.

5 2.92%
  • No! The dynamics have changed & it's no longer enjoyable..

8 4.68%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    This March marks our 5th year on the internet. While many things have changed, a lot remains the same. With our 5-year anniversary looming, I want to take the pulse of our community to make sure we are still serving in the community’s best interest.

I was recently reminded why our hobby and community are unique. Quite simply, we transcend the typical car enthusiast group, which gathers around a make, model or type of car. We gather around perfecting car appearance, where success often lasts but a few hours. Like all other aspects of the car hobby, we are passionate about successes, failures and minute improvements.

I ask that everyone please cast your vote and speak up in the thread if you have constructive feedback.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, I`ve personally been more busy the last year so I haven`t spent as much time on Autopia. But I`ve also found less of interest to read. I don`t know, it seems like there are fewer reviews of products and such and more and more of the intro questions. The thing is more and more of those questions are things like "which is better x or y?" or "which product is the best for z?". Questions that no one could really answer, but which someone could answer for themselves if they just read some of the opinions/reviews about the products in question and thought about what criteria were really important to them.

I can understand why people would come here with questions, but maybe a FAQ (seems the e-book doesn`t cut it as people would rather just pump the board for info) or something would help? I dunno... :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been a member less than a year. This site offers soo much priceless info. I love everything about it.

However, the only thing I could ask for is use of a picture for our sigs. I think showing off our vehicles in our sig`s would be cool. Obviously, within size requirements and even if it would only be posted once per page...For instance, if I had 3 posts on the page, the sig would only be posted on my first post. Just something to think about.

Overall, I love this site, especially with the addition of www.bettercarcare.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that images in signatures is a big issue for some, and I`d like to get more feedback. If the majority want an image in their signature block, I will look at the impact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by DavidB

I know that images in signatures is a big issue for some, and I`d like to get more feedback. If the majority want an image in their signature block, I will look at the impact.
    David,

If you do allow pictures in the signature please put a limit to size. Some sites I visit let it get out of control and I personally find it very annoying when reading through posts. I go to the gallery to look at pictures. No offense GSRstilez, I also see your point and it would be nice but with limits.

Post Thanks / Like
    most boards allow you to turn off sigs if you dont like them, I turn them off since im on dialup when traveling.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the way the site is set up currently. The vast majority of members treat each other with respect. Flame wars are few and far between. I even like the limit on signatures. Pictures in sigs are overrated IMHO. Autopia has a pretty clean look. Signatures lead to clutter.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a pic of your car in your signature, place it where the avtar goes instead.

What I like about Autopia is the clean look of the page unlike other forums that seem to be populated by juvenilles that load up their signatures with pics of cars and mods, etc... that go for like 10 lines!

If you have a website of your car or a site where you post your pics, then you can include tht in your signature with a title prompting members to check it out. I`d love to see them and any mods done to the car. I, like many others, often follow links on folk`s signatures to see their stable of pictures.

However, I should be one to talk, with my oh, so mature signature But, ain`t it the truth! Thanks for letting me get my $.02 in with it :p
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

No clue if you remember me or not. If so, Whats up? if not, Howdy. My name is Sam.

When I came here forever ago the forum was a small intricate group of in depth discussions about a widee variety of topics. This got me into detailing. Unlike other things in life, I could see the facts, why they were the facts, and how they could be applied. Over time the forum got larger, ,and soon mandatory joining came to post (or read, not sure which one) the forums. A large influx of people came, asked the allready spent questions and I was driven off.

I still check the forum now and again for one reason. The info is still here, just not regularity of indepth threads as there used to be.

The forum serves its purpose. You have given millions the place to look, learn, and teach about all types of automotive stuff. To this I give you kudos. not many others could have made a forum like this one with the cool temeredness (is that a word) as you have.

Keep up the good work. I will be checking back often.

P.S. What happen to the quizes? I need to fail some more quizes!

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like Autopia and the general direction of the board in the 2 1/2 years I`ve been a member. My only request would be to *slightly* loosen the posting rules in the Hot Tub. Not suggesting nudity, pr0n or grossout pics, but maybe a little more leeway with regards to language and subject matter....maybe PG 13 instead of PG!

I do like that you and the mods have allowed heated discussions to continue longer (provided they stay on subject and don`t get too nasty) before stepping in or locking the threads. Sometimes everyone needs a chance to vent.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Sam, you bet I remember! The quizzes are still here. I`ve been thinking of a new series called "Stump the Wax Zar"...

Scott, I`m happy to loosen the rules as long as people realize that when they get carried away their thread may get closed or zapped. My general rule of thumb is... one complaint warrants a close look, two or more complaints is a true problem. Members may not realize it, but I field a lot of complaints. Event though a forum may be "open", people have to be responsible for what they say. In the Hot Tub, we frequently have things posted that are potentially insensitive (or really insensitive).

db

Post Thanks / Like
    No sig pics please............they make the site look well....not detailed.....a nice clean page is what should be here as we are all after a clean detailed vehicle why not a detailed web pages....

I am fine with the Pg rating.....as there are other places for that kinda stuff....

I do think what aurora said above has merit...too many what is best and which is better and similar subjective newby type posts clutter the product and detailing section when they belong in the university......

As the site ages people come and go and post a bunch and post a little but what makes it special is direction is the same....

Keep it pretty much as is if ya need to change take baby steps...and do it slowly...no reason to rush...

Peace

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Aurora and Guess My Name, when I first joined, the forum was full of more in depth more helpful threads that helped me alot as far as all around detailing knowlege. It seems that many new people are not using the search feature and are content to ask the whole forum questions that are old topics.

Maybe more questions should be moved into the University and maybe the University, like the Hot Tub, should be removed from the "Current Topics" list on the main page. :nixweiss
    ~Miguel

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with BlackRegal and others...pics in the sig line make for a much longer load time and a thread that is difficult to scan quickly. The thread preview option is an excellent idea. A few other forums I visit use it and I must say that I`ve been spoiled by it now.

If you do implement a sticky for new users or some other solution to answer the most commonly asked questions, don`t forget to mention the acronyms on the home page...people are constantly asking what all of the abbreviations mean. A tutorial on the search function and what it can do for you would also solve many of our issues.

Other than that, I have no suggestions. Few and far between are forums that are organized and run as well as this one. I have plenty of other places to goof off online, I come here to get serious (most of the time ) and as long as that continues, I`ll be happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been a member only a short while and I have found the site to be a great source of info and inspiration. I wish I had found this site many years ago. I use the search function often and find it invaluable.

The main things I like about this site are......

1 The open friendliness, no matter what age, race, sex or car brand.

2 The random pics on the homepage (don`t change that please, unless you put more pics up )

3 The lack of obscene words, you don`t need to swear constantly to make a point.

4 No pics in the sig, makes page load quickly. (If people have an autopia gallery, put the link to their gallery either in the sig or under the avatar, similar to the journal)

A couple of other points

1 Make entering a location mandatory, even just the country will do for a start. People ask for `local` outlets without saying where they are, that`s sooooo annoying!

2 A few new smilies perhaps :nixweiss

3 Maybe make the acronym link stand out a bit more, I missed it when I first joined and others have done since too.

I, personally, don`t think there`s too much to alter. Whatever you decide to do David, I`m sure the site will remain one of the best :xyxthumbs
    2005 MINI Cooper S

Pepper White, Black roof and mirrors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information