Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AutopiaForum and Autopia.org MERGED! Breaking News

Quote Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
    Would you expect Autogeek recommend products that they don`t sell? Your post doesn`t make much sense. And I do not see you complaining about AG pushing their own line.
    I did not mean to mention they have a sub par product line. Autopia is/was touted to be as an "open" forum. So with the mention of HD to most such threads , I did not find it much "open" and such threads weren`t interesting to "me". YMMMV. AG is not an open forum and even there are such (which product) queries asked on AG, there is a varied range of answers from members. I know AG offers a varied range but Autopia wasn`t a store like AG.
    Having said that, every now and then when one has to Google for detailing queries, Autopia`s old threads do bring in a LoT of valuable information, so I hope all of that stays intact.

Post Thanks / Like

PBMG & HD both make good products. This "feud" is so silly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    PBMG & HD both make good products. This "feud" is so silly.
    You are missing the point.

If Menzerna had a detailing forum, would you not think that they would suggest their own products? That is exactly what AG is doing. "pushes" what they sell, and doesn`t let you talk about products they don`t sell. Don`t forget, this is a business. So if you call out 3D, you should also call out AG.

Post Thanks / Like

AutopiaForum and Autopia.org MERGED! Breaking News

If Menzerna had a detailing forum, would you not think that they would suggest their own products? That is exactly what AG is doing. "pushes" what they sell, and doesn`t let you talk about products they don`t sell. Don`t forget, this is a business. So if you call out 3D, you should also call out AG.

I didn`t call out anyone. Buy what you want from where you want. Be happy the forums are free.

People are dying of Ebola in Africa. This stuff is silly.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention a lot of the people that suggest their products don`t in any way work for HD/3d

Post Thanks / Like

Would you expect Autogeek recommend products that they don`t sell? Your post doesn`t make much sense. And I do not see you complaining about AG pushing their own line.

http://tdekany.com/wp-content/upload...er-300x188.gif

Hope the flavor your posts aren`t glimpse into the future Thomas (unless 3d gets it`s own forum)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    http://tdekany.com/wp-content/upload...er-300x188.gif

Hope the flavor your posts aren`t glimpse into the future Thomas (unless 3d gets it`s own forum)
    Ron...I think 3D is going to have it`s own forum. Isnt that picture from like 2 years ago at SEMA?
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Ron...I think 3D is going to have it`s own forum. Isnt that picture from like 2 years ago at SEMA?
    I think you are right Pat, wait no you are definitely right! Of course 3D will have a section on the forum, we are not taking anything away from the forum just updating and adding to it.
    And we are very excited that 3D is staying on for the journey with us!
    Helping fulfill and complete the vision of Autopia Forums

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I wish PBMG would carry some 3D products. I`d like to try some - but I never order because I always get sucked in by PBMGs massive choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Honestly, I wish PBMG would carry some 3D products. I`d like to try some - but I never order because I always get sucked in by PBMGs massive choices.
    sounds like they gonna

Post Thanks / Like

Just like with anything that gets lots of "voices" Detailer Buddies is not a place I`d want to spend my time anymore so I asked to be removed. Too many big egos are way out of line in that group.
    I frequent many fb groups and standard forums and try to contribute when I can. Avoiding big egos is required on any forum of type of social media. Nobody is going to agree with anyone 100% 0f the time. JMO.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, having been around the block and back, and speaking with Thomas a long way back about the very HD/3D thing and knowing the old crew AF guys let me state my personal opinion and see if I can bring some peace to the forum.

Thomas AKA tdekany, is an extremely talented detailer. Products aside, we all know you can get results with any product if you have skills. Thomas has skills trust me. Thomas also spent some time as a HD/3D employee (to my understanding) He is no longer (for a while and Employee). I think we should all let him speak his mind, as long as he is not spaming the forum. He had posted many 3D/HD details and Opticoat details that were amazing in both content, pictures and format.

Ronny, just like me is a pro-sumer. That is a guy caught between a professional and a consumer (run on the mill detailer). Ron is much more toward the pro than I am.

So-Full Confession-Thomas and I went a few rounds as I did with a lot of people when every question I asked at .org was answered in a flood of HD/3D. I felt like it was a snake oil product by the very nature of the marketing and then the 3 reviews on all boards for free product was upsetting because I could not get away for the 3D/HD by leaving .org. I felt I needed to be vocal simply because there are a lot of post that go like this:

I am new here, I just got a new car and I want to learn. What hit these poor newbies was 3D/HD swarms and I was also hit as a guy looking for the best for my use. I have no idea if there HD products are Great/Good/Horrible or whatever because I was totally turned off by the whole marketing approach.

I really don`t mind people recommending what they use and like. The problem I had was my SPAM Radar went into overdrive on the whole 3D/HD thing. And evidentially I was not alone.

A lot of this is my opinion. What is not opinion but fact is:

1. Thomas is a top level detailer and if he participates this forum will be better for it. I do not agree with everything he has said in the past but that is fine and we are entitles to disagree like gentlemen.

2. The AF people are good people who have been so kind to me over the years. From the Mods to the members just about all have been great to exchange info with. I have been lucky enough to meet a few in person. The past has been great, and the future is to be developed here. To you AF guys I say-Yes-I wish we could keep our little fiefdom. Its been a great, comfortable safe place to do what we do-lets lead by example and try to give this a whirl.

Bottom line-Its a detailing forum, everyone relax and play nicely in the sandbox!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    With change there is always going to be negativity. I for one welcome the new Autopia. I was part of the original .org forum for well over 10 years and back in the day it was the "pinnacle" of detailing information and knowledge. Every and any detailing professional domestically and internationally was on that forum. Some of the greatest and epic "Click and Brag" posts were generated from the Autopia forum. I can still remember Todd Helme`s epic Ferrari posts with over 100 pictures detailing every aspect of Concours de Elegance detailing.

We used to have Wednesday night "chat nights" with some of the greatest detailing minds in the industry.

I can still remember:

-Microfiber group buys-microfiber towels were even popular at this point and the debate raged over cotton diaper vs microfiber towel use

-Pinnacle Souveran group buys-it was the first high end carnuaba that I ever purchased.

-Lab49 sample conspiracies with the release of Megs NXT wax

-Zaino wars (similar to WWIII)

With a forum that size the egos were just as big but the knowledge and info flow was huge.

I can`t wait to see what the future holds

Pat, I remember all that...and even before that! I remember typing until midnight on the Interweb with 3-4 other geeks in an antiquated public chat room talking cars and sharing our concours tricks like blending paste wax, the best cotton towels and how to polish chrome wire wheels. How we found each other was a miracle.

One of the guys, his name was David Bynon-something, had a techy day job and figured he knew how he could get us our own private chat room. How cool would that be. This is a pretty tall order given that it was the last freaking century and the whole Interweb would implode come Y2K anyway.

We hoped could get some of our friends to join us. Maybe a dozen? More? Nobody knows we are even here. We may need a catchy club name. And definitely a secret handshake. We wouldn`t want just anyone wandering in.

Who knew!? What a long strange trip it`s been.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Keep in mind that a lot of people recommend HD products over there because they work really well and are priced reasonably.
    Rarely see anyone from HD on the forum let alone pushing products. There seems to be more discussions of non 3D/HD products unless you`re in the 3D/HD section.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information