Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good Detailer in So Cal

Quote Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
    I kinda disagree, honestly. The guys I mentioned are spread all over the country. Even here in Charlotte, we have a ton of specialty cars, exotics, tuned performance cars (NOT ricers), etc. The key is marketing yourself to that demographic in your area, IF that`s what you`re after.
    I don`t disagree with that at all. What I`m saying is its a very limited market, and not one that falls into the normal detailing services.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I don`t disagree with that at all. What I`m saying is its a very limited market, and not one that falls into the normal detailing services.
    Ok, I understand what you`re saying. Personally, I do this as part hobby, part side business. Not to sound arrogant or rude, but since it`s primarily a hobby, I want to enjoy my detailing time. As such, I try to go after more of the enthusiast market. I think being a part-timer helps me be a little more selective in what jobs I choose to take. Hopefully that doesn`t sound bad.

The guys that only do high-end work obviously paid their dues to get there, so I have nothing but the utmost respect for them and their hard work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
    Ok, I understand what you`re saying. Personally, I do this as part hobby, part side business. Not to sound arrogant or rude, but since it`s primarily a hobby, I want to enjoy my detailing time. As such, I try to go after more of the enthusiast market. I think being a part-timer helps me be a little more selective in what jobs I choose to take. Hopefully that doesn`t sound bad.

The guys that only do high-end work obviously paid their dues to get there, so I have nothing but the utmost respect for them and their hard work.
    I`m the same its weekend business for the most part. Like you I won`t take on certain jobs, mini vans and such. To much work for the return on time.

I have some pretty high end customers that pay at the top of the market for this area, and that`s where I want to stay.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I`m the same its weekend business for the most part. Like you I won`t take on certain jobs, mini vans and such. To much work for the return on time.

I have some pretty high end customers that pay at the top of the market for this area, and that`s where I want to stay.
    Sounds like we`re in the same boat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Any update, how did it turn out for you?
    Well I just got the car back and it turned out ok considering the condition it was in. It`s a black 2007 Toyota 4 Runner, the car had heavy fall out, some over spray and issues with the factory paint on the hood and front bumper. It cost $400 and the guy spent 8 hours on it (what he told me). There is still some fall out in the paint and some haze in the hood (where the issue is) but he said he did not want to risk burning the paint which I can understand.

At this point I think I am just going to buy the equipment myself and have at it, I detailed for 4 years about 12-15 years ago.

SO I have a few questions:
    1) What are the best polishers and type, Dewalt, Flexx, DA, orbial, high-speed, etc???
    2) Where is the best/cheapest place to get them?
    3) What is the best place to buy product from in So Cal?
    4) What is the best place to buy supplies from in So Cal?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAdetailer View Post
    Well I just got the car back and it turned out ok considering the condition it was in. It`s a black 2007 Toyota 4 Runner, the car had heavy fall out, some over spray and issues with the factory paint on the hood and front bumper. It cost $400 and the guy spent 8 hours on it (what he told me). There is still some fall out in the paint and some haze in the hood (where the issue is) but he said he did not want to risk burning the paint which I can understand.

At this point I think I am just going to buy the equipment myself and have at it, I detailed for 4 years about 12-15 years ago.

SO I have a few questions:
    1) What are the best polishers and type, Dewalt, Flexx, DA, orbial, high-speed, etc???
    2) Where is the best/cheapest place to get them?
    3) What is the best place to buy product from in So Cal?
    4) What is the best place to buy supplies from in So Cal?

Thanks
    1) It depends on the type of polisher you want to use.
    For rotary polishers I am partial to the FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher and the Makita 9227C Variable Speed Polisher

I like the Flex for its lightweight and powerful motor. It also feels very balanced for a light weight rotary to me.

I like the Makita because it feels extremely balanced and smooth running.

A dual-action polisher is doing to be safer (less chance of burning the paint). For a random orbital D-A polisher the Porter Cable 7424 XP and Griot`s Garage 6 inch are both great choices.

2,3,4) Autopia-CarCare.com, the title sponsor of this forum offers a price match guranette. Also with there are many promotions and specials that run time-to-time that offer free shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Chemical Guys - Inglewood
    2. Detailing.com - Irvine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information