Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chat Box Use?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chat Box Use?

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post

If the admin. has placed the chat room link in the nav bar to proove a point or make a comparison between the way it was and the way it has become, how about making it the way it was, including the notification window to show all members who are currently chatting..??...

I am only trying to voice my oppinion here and stand up and be heard. TD
    DONE!!!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    DONE!!!
    Not quite.
    The "Who`s Chatting" window on the home page still isn`t working.
    At least it isn`t working for me.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you !
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    DONE!!!
    Awesome!!!! OK I am back!! Thank you to admins. and whoever effected this change, I really hope it stays...

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    There are some people that are more comfortable asking things in a "less public" area.

Ya know kind of like when you were in school and were afraid to ask something cuz you didn;t want to ask "a stupid question`.
    The very few times I visited the chat room, it was not an area sharing any useful information, so from my perspective this is not the case.

So you you made a trade off for higher post count. (imho)

If you went to an irc chat room, you could have the best of all worls, since it wouldn`t slow down the server as you say and still have a less public area that some feel more comfortable in.

I watch member #`s in forums. If you looked you would see that at most any given time other detail forums are having more members online. We are getting fewer members. Bad trend.

IMHO you decided to sacrifice what your loyal members are telling you to take the board in "new direction".What and who are you talking about? I don`t see this at all.

The question is........ Are you trying to alienate your loyal members for new ones? Because that`s what`s happening. I`m not feeling alienated and I`ve been around as long as most, so I`ll disagree with your assessment. Problem is the % of new members is going down, while the memberships of other setail boards (including a relatively new one) is going up. (as well as post counts)

Now before you shrug off what I say you need to remember I am a super mod at a board who`s current stats are:

Threads: 135,064, Posts: 1,793,942, Members: 227,468
    Well why don`t you just spend your time on that site? Obviously each forum has their own unique personality. If you prefer one over the other, simple...stay there! And as for post counts. I don`t worry as much about quantity as I do quality. I would say that we have a mixture of both here at DC.

Your members are talking, and you`re not listening, or you`re listening to the wrong people.
    Again what members and how is Troy taking this forum in an opposite direction?

Hope it works out for you.
    There are even posts on other forums on how few posts there are here now. So they are joining other boards.
    I visit a couple of other detailing related forums and haven`t seen any evidence of this.

Even though your porbably annoyed at me, let me put it a different way.

Now I am betting that I am either going to get banned or put on global ignore and my posts in this thread will be gone. But you need to figure out if your members opinions count or not.

As far as the chat room is concerned, there are numerous post about how members want it back. There are alos numerous posts about "chat night" etc in the past. It was something people looked forward to.

Now it`s your board, you have put your money into making it what you want. But before it goes in a bad direction and it goes the way so many other boards have gone, it may be time to listen to the people that helped make DC what it is.

You are taking away the friendly helpfull atmosphere, and it`s just going to turn into a mutual admiration board. No help, just lots of pretty pictures saying "Look what I did"
    Again with this reference of unnamed and disgruntled membership. I`m just dying to know who you think these people are?

Troy, from my perspective Detail City remains one of the top forums of any genre (I`ve stated this before). AFAIK the disgruntled (if there are more than a handful) are outnumbered by those of us who enjoy DC.

I don`t get how the presence or lack of a chat room can stir such debate.

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I, as a user of Poorboy`s products, can think of dozens of times where Steve has been able to straighten out my thinking as it pertains to the use of his products. Wheather it be a question about product or process it was and is very nice to get the scoop right from the horses mouth. (not calling you a horse Steve)

Some people are just way too busy for small talk in a chat room and to each his own. I do post questions and also try to answer questions in the forums as it should be, but sometimes have right now questions that only Steve as the owner of the company that supplies my products can answer. So this chat feature has been and hopefully will remain a tool for me to learn about my chosen proffession. To me it is part of the customer service experience of using Poorboy`s products.

I have attended a few of the detailing weekends that Steve has put together and have actually become friends with some of the guys who chat here, I find it relaxing to come into the chat room. so again... a very grateful thanks to Troy and the other people involved in making it possible.TD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I visit a couple of other detailing related forums and haven`t seen any evidence of this.

Again with this reference of unnamed and disgruntled membership. I`m just dying to know who you think these people are?
    Troy, from my perspective Detail City remains one of the top forums of any genre (I`ve stated this before). AFAIK the disgruntled (if there are more than a handful) are outnumbered by those of us who enjoy DC.

I don`t get how the presence or lack of a chat room can stir such debate.
    Go look at other boads and see how many of our members are members there. Then look at join dats and posts.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee, I post on a couple of other detailing related forums...does that make me a disgruntled DC member?

And what are these alleged members DC disgruntled about? I`ve somehow missed all of these complaints.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information