Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Part 2 from Captain Obvious about Keeping this AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That`s what I was driving at, though I didn`t want to make it sound like a slam at Mike (whom I do esteem highly). He got that from the guy at PPG...whose name *still* escapes me.
    I thought he had the attribution in his signature, perhaps at MOL, but I just looked there and it`s not. Wait--here you go, full explanation at AGO: Find something you like and use it often
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Part 2 from Captain Obvious about Keeping this AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING

OK Setec, you are the true Sherlock Holmes and historian of this forum. Thanks for finding that information and the link to it!
    So the original author of the saying "Find something you like and use it often" is John Anderson from Pittsburgh Paint and Glass (PPG)
    What an "interesting" post about "What do you recommend for a car wax?" from his seminar about painting a vehicle with PPG products and then fielding questions from the attendees, which is how this adage was coined.
    I guess we could substitute the word "Coating" for ""Wax" in the present time of detailing Last-Step Products (LSPs).

MORE humor from MP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    Question: How many car waxes do you need?
    "Car waxes and paint sealants are to men like shoes are to women, you can never have too many"

Here`s Mike Phillips initial post (I THINK) within this forum from August 21, 2003:
    Hi, my name is Mike and I like to polish paint...
    Side note: I see in the above linked thread topic that members mention "Welcome to DC". Was this forum originally named "Detailer`s Choice", hence the "DC" initials??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Does DC mean Detail City?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Here`s Mike Phillips initial post (I THINK) within this forum from August 21, 2003:
    Hi, my name is Mike and I like to polish paint...
    Side note: I see in the above linked thread topic that members mention "Welcome to DC". Was this forum originally named "Detailer`s Choice", hence the "DC" initials??
    As I mentioned in another recent thread, Detail City was acquired by PBMG and renamed AutopiaForums.com in 2011-ish. That was at the time that PBMG acquired Autopia Car Care. Then when Classic Motoring Accessories/Proper Auto Care folded and PBMG bought what was left of that, they acquired with it CMA`s forum, Truth In Detailing (TID, which had been stood up by Todd Helme), which got merged in to AutopiaForums. Then ultimately PBMG bought the Autopia.org forum from 3D and merged that into AutopiaForums (or vice-versa), resulting in what we have today. So theoretically a member here could have 4 intro threads, I guess.

Just for the history, and I`m not an original member of Autopia.org, having come here in 2004 (my join date shown is when I joined Autopia Forums), I think DavidB may have started Autopia before Autopia Car Care, but when he decided to sell both (in 2008? 2010?), he inexplicably sold Autopia.org to 3D, and sold his half of ACC to either his partner in ACC (the other David, I can`t remember his last name), or to Premium Finish Care. Regardless, ACC wound up at Premium Finish Care for a while until they sold it to PBMA (which I believe was the point they became PBMG--Palm Beach Motoring Group vs. Palm Beach Motoring Accessories). I just try to get this stuff typed out sometimes so there is some record of it beyond what`s in my memory.
    Likes Lonnie, 65chevy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Setec:
    Thanks for the history lesson on the ownership and names of this forum.
    While it may be of little interest to Autopia members and guest lurkers who are looking in this forum for specific car-care products suggestions and experiences and answers to detailing problems they have today, this ownership history is a truism of the adage:
    "How do you know were you are going if you don`t know where you`ve been."
    or my adage, "Those who do not know history are prone to make the same mistakes of the past."

My intent with this thread topic is as stated in subject line: to keep this forum alive and going.
    That does not happen if:
    1) There are no participants (AKA, active members posting content and discussions)
    2) Owners who are not willing to oversee the operations of this forum, which includes software, and forum rules as it pertains to contents posted
    3a) IF there are no owners or vested parties who "invests" the necessary capital (money) to keep this forum going
    3b) No individuals who provide this capital, either from buying products from the owner(s) which they make a profit on and then invest some of it into the forum OR
    3c) Pay for a subscription fee to the owner for the ability (not right, but that`s the legal jargon) to access the forum`s content.
    Hopefully the owners will NOT succumb to the "OR 3c" part and force us Autopian members into that financial decision. That is another can of worms I do not want to open or get into. I cringe at my own mentioning of it. But I am sure it had crossed some minds by both parties involved, owners and members. (Isn`t mentioning it opening it, Captain Obvious??.. Just sayin`!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I thought he had the attribution in his signature, perhaps at MOL, but I just looked there and it`s not. Wait--here you go, full explanation at AGO: Find something you like and use it often
    Ah, thanks! Jack Anderson, Jack Anderson, Jack Anderson....think I have it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Curious what `MOL` is? I see it and think `Ministry of Labour`. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh, Meguiar`s Online...??
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In the photo within the linked thread above of Mr. Anderson`s PPG business card his first name is printed as "John", but within the article he is called "Jack". I assume that Jack is either a nickname OR his middle name that he has preferred to be called by. Not that it matters here, but it does to John/ Jack. I get confused sometimes in associating individuals who use this two-name identity OR will offend someone who prefers to be called by their nickname or middle name, and they correct me when I address them with their given name. I have also gone the other way when I address someone by an societal-accepted shorter or alternate version of a name, like Bob for Robert or Lissy for Melissa, when they prefer to be called by their given full formal name, and they will "correct" me; sometimes nicely and politely, sometimes curtly and sternly. What`s in a name?? Apparently that proper identify means a lot to some individuals.
    (You can call me Captain Obvious; just don`t call me late to a meal!)

Again, though, we are just trying to identify who originally coined the phrase, "Find something you like and use it often.", and we have: John/Jack Anderson.
    GB detailer
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Ahhhh, Meguiar`s Online...??
    Yes.

MOL = Meguiar`s Online
    AGO = Autogeek Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    What`s in a name?? Apparently that proper [identifier] means a lot to some individuals.
    Yes indeed, and IMO that oughta be respected. If in doubt, ask what a person prefers (though "sir" or "ma`m" usually work fine).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D;[URL="tel:2193591"
    2193591[/URL]]I`ve been here for 20 years and I`ll stay until the end , whenever it may come. I just post whenever I have a comment to make or whenever I can be of help but the majority of the time I just lurk.
    Same here.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the bigger issue is whether it`s worth spending money on maintaining two forums and two dot com stores that do and sell the same products. At some point, I think AG is probably going to streamline operations.
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I think the bigger issue is whether it`s worth spending money on maintaining two forums and two dot com stores that do and sell the same products. At some point, I think AG is probably going to streamline operations.
    Point well taken! Makes good business sense. But for those of us who have been here within this forum for a LONG time (cannot call them "lifers", but in essence that is what many of those who will read this post are) it would a tragic loss to my self of what this forum represents and has become if that were to happen.

Some have said "change what you have control over and can change, and do not worry about the the rest because there is nothing you can personally do about it."
    While that may be true, what concerns me most, that even if I cannot change things because I have no control over them, we ALL live with the consequences.
    That certainly would be true if this forum went away.

A much bigger philosophical and political discussion is the current federal government budget deficit limits and the bickering and posturing that is currently dominating the news. It is a MUCH bigger concern than the survival of this forum. Regardless of what happens with this economic situation, good or bad, we will all live with the consequences of those economic realities. And I don`t think you or I can speculate or imagine what those "realities" will be or look like in the near term and in the future.
    GB detailer
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just received an email notification about a post here... I haven`t gotten a notification for like forever! I had to log in and reset my password... so, as Arnold Schwarzenegger stated in the film "The Terminator"... I`m back.
    Likes 65chevy, wannafbody liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information