Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Product reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just wondering why all of the product reviews are aimed at companies like Meguiars. I have been detailing professionally for a long time, and I use nothing from companies like them. I order from such companies as Ardex Laboratories, Auto Magic, and Production. I find that products from Meguiars are more for the weekend warrior, and not the professional. I tried to put some of the products I use on the review polls, and I don`t even see the companies listed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please write some reviews of your favorite products. I`d be happy to read them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DetailKnight
    I was just wondering why all of the product reviews are aimed at companies like Meguiars. I have been detailing professionally for a long time, and I use nothing from companies like them. I order from such companies as Ardex Laboratories, Auto Magic, and Production. I find that products from Meguiars are more for the weekend warrior, and not the professional. I tried to put some of the products I use on the review polls, and I don`t even see the companies listed.

The majority of Meguiars stuff that is mentioned regularly comes either from the professional Detailer line or the Mirror Glaze line, which is usually marketed toward body shops and paint facilities. They definitely have professional-grade products. Only a handful of Megs products that people post about are OTC, weekend warrior-type products. Of course, I`m speaking of the products detailers use in their write-ups. The actual review section is different, and I`d agree that it seems to favor their consumer products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenap
    The majority of Meguiars stuff that is mentioned regularly comes either from the professional Detailer line or the Mirror Glaze line, which is usually marketed toward body shops and paint facilities. They definitely have professional-grade products. Only a handful of Megs products that people post about are OTC, weekend warrior-type products. Of course, I`m speaking of the products detailers use in their write-ups. The actual review section is different, and I`d agree that it seems to favor their consumer products.

I have used a lot of the Meguiars stuff myself from time to time, and most of what I have used from them is good product. But, from my standpoint, it is way overpriced! I can buy a gallon, or more of a similar product that works the same or better from companies such as Auto Magic, for less than what you pay for a squirt bottles worth of Meguiars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the products I use from Ardex... I stand by them 100%... try them out, you wont be disappointed!!!

4200 EXPRESS! A Liquefied Paste Wax Express is designed for really fast application. It contains real carnauba wax, amine-functional silicone polymers . Shake before use. Express wipes off in a flash and leaves a brilliant luster without streaking. Holds up for months.

4203 1500 PLUS Finishing Material This product is designed to be used after wet sanding on brand new paint. It produces a bright, smooth surface by removing 1500 grade sandpaper marks.

4211 STEREO GLAZE #2 Longest Lasting Machine Brightener This is our finest polish. Use sparingly to avoid build-up on the pad. Use after removing acid rain spots or other blemishes with a precleaner. This polish contains a high percentage of functional silicones, polymers and synthetic waxes and lasts over a year! Stereo Glaze #2 has an exceptionally deep and lustrous shine.We recommend this polish for the quality detail shop doing private work. Stereo Glaze #2 is as long lasting as any sealant on the market. On black cars, Stereo Glaze #2 with a foam pad or a clean wool polishing pad will produce a 100% swirl free finish.

4290 NANO SEALANT This product is the latest in technologically advanced chemistry. Thanks to some of the developments in the field of nano science, we`ve brought to you a paint sealant and protectant that is the most effective in protecting paint surfaces while enhancing the depth and shine of all painted surfaces. This unique product has displayed remarkable side effects including restoring dulled finishes on various surfaces from glass to plastic and chrome without leaving any residue behind. This is ideal for showroom cars.

9200 CLEAR COAT SEALANT Clear Coat Sealant is similar to Stereo Glaze #2 with the addition of PTFE. This adds to the overall effectiveness of the formulation and substantially increases the depth of shine and the durability of the polymer film.

5213 CAR WASH CONCENTRATE 100 to 1 Concentrate Ardex has one of the foamiest car wash concentrates on the market. The high foam level suspends the dirt till it is washed away. This product will not dull or streak the finish or glass nor will it remove the wax. Ardex car wash can be diluted 100-1.

This is the best AP I have ever seen!!!

5228 NEW WAVE A Great All Purpose Cleaner New Wave is the newest and best cleaner/degreaser from Ardex. New Wave cleans as effectively as a powerful caustic cleaner without the caustic and at very high dilutions. New Wave is a relatively mild product with a great smelling perfume. The speed and ease of cleaning and degreasing with New Wave must be seen to be appreciated. New Wave is a very effective prewash for automatic car washes.

Buster is a must for German cars... will not damage the wheel... its a gel that is sprayed on, and left for 10 minutes.... then sprayed off.... works great!!

6235 BUSTER For Brake Dust This product is for removing brake dust from Mercedes, Volvo, BMW and VW wheels, only. This very impressive product works instantly.

6219 ULT DRESS The concentrated version of New Concept. Can be used straight or diluted with water.

6203 MIRACLE GLASS CLEANER

These professional glass cleaners are formulated to get the job done quickly and without smearing or streaking. They can be used for light cleaning and are pleasantly scented. 6202 contains ammonia while 6203 does not.

6221 LEATHER PERFECT Leather Perfect is a rich, creamy emulsion of gentle conditioners and cleaners which will safely restore fine leather and then protect it. Also contains UV protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    DetailKnight- You aren`t the only person who appreciates Ardex. Barry Theal really likes some of their stuff too.

How`s the price on the 5228 APC? What sort of dilutions are you using it at for stuff like wheelwells and undercarriages?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    DetailKnight- You aren`t the only person who appreciates Ardex. Barry Theal really likes some of their stuff too.

How`s the price on the 5228 APC? What sort of dilutions are you using it at for stuff like wheelwells and undercarriages?

I usually buy 5 gallons at a time, and of course I just did taxes, so I cant find a reciept... but if my memory serves me right, its $40 or $50 for 5 gallons. Since it`s non-caustic, you dont have to be too exact with dilutions, so I usually use about a 50/50 mix for exterior, and about 6 to 1 for interiors. I usually only use New Wave for interiors though. I have over the years found that Auto Magic Red Hot AP ($30 or $40 for 5 gallons) is very concentrated, and I usually make 10 gallons out of 5 with the Red Hot, and then con mix it 5 to 1, and its still does well enough to clean tires, wheel wells, and engines the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    DetailKnight- Ah, OK...thanks for that info on the Red Hot. I keep toying with the idea of finding some APC that`s a lot cheaper than my usual ones. I bet there`s something from one of the "pro lines you never hear about" that`d be just perfect for me, but I never make any real progress with finding it

Post Thanks / Like
    DetailKnight- Ah, OK...thanks for that info on the Red Hot. I keep toying with the idea of finding some APC that`s a lot cheaper than my usual ones. I bet there`s something from one of the "pro lines you never hear about" that`d be just perfect for me, but I never make any real progress with finding it

Red Hot is nice, but its caustic, so if it gets on the paint and dries, it can leave marks, just be careful with it... soap the fenders down before you do an engine!
    Knights House of Detail Mobile Detailing and Pressure Washing...Capon Bridge,WV... 540-686-2927

Post Thanks / Like
    Red Hot is nice, but its caustic, so if it gets on the paint and dries, it can leave marks, just be careful with it... soap the fenders down before you do an engine!

Well, then I think I`ll pass. I like stuff to be Accumulator-proof whenever possible and my current APCs are OK in that regard. Heh heh, every time I think about trying a different one I end up just ordering my old stand-bys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, then I think I`ll pass. I like stuff to be Accumulator-proof whenever possible and my current APCs are OK in that regard. Heh heh, every time I think about trying a different one I end up just ordering my old stand-bys.

The New Wave works awesome also... just not as cost effective for me. I always use it for interiors! It has a very pleasant smell. I do all carpets by hand with it and a damp cloth, and there haven`t been too many stains I couldn`t get out with it! I do use it on exteriors when I run out of Red Hot, and it works just as well... try it... it should be Accumulator- proof...lol
    Knights House of Detail Mobile Detailing and Pressure Washing...Capon Bridge,WV... 540-686-2927

Post Thanks / Like
    DetailKnight- Ah, that sounds more like it! I might have to look into the New Wave, thanks for the additional info. My usual stuff (EF HI) seems *so* pricey to be spraying around on the undercarriages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Detail Knight how about products from automagic anything good ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually buy 5 gallons at a time, and of course I just did taxes, so I cant find a reciept... but if my memory serves me right, its $40 or $50 for 5 gallons. Since it`s non-caustic, you dont have to be too exact with dilutions, so I usually use about a 50/50 mix for exterior, and about 6 to 1 for interiors. I usually only use New Wave for interiors though. I have over the years found that Auto Magic Red Hot AP ($30 or $40 for 5 gallons) is very concentrated, and I usually make 10 gallons out of 5 with the Red Hot, and then con mix it 5 to 1, and its still does well enough to clean tires, wheel wells, and engines the best.

I think it would be great if you and others here did comparisons of bulk vs. bulk & bulk vs. specialty. We`d see for ourselves how over-inflated many things (like shampoo, cleaners and clay) can be.

Yes AM Red Hot is very strong, but does a mediocre job (compared to other cleaners) on interiors. I used it for over a decade and probably went through several dozen 55 gallon drums of it too. Used it on engines, wheel wells and door jambs along with their Special Cleaner & 777. When doing high volume work I`d put Ardex, Pro, AM, Carbrite and 3D`s against anything out there for most applications. Out of those companies there are some real great knock out products that stand out amoung any. But, when you dissect each product and compare them to the specialty/boutique/enthusiast offerings you`ll casually notice that many (not all) of their lines can be classified as the jack of all trades, but the master of none. After trying and comparing the likes of AM, Carbrite & Ardex over the years to each other, I can honestly say that 3D has a much superior line-up of offerings.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sulla
    Detail Knight how about products from automagic anything good ?

AM has several good products, but several bad ones also! I use their leather conditioner, Red Hot AP for exteriors, and pretty much their whole line of compounds, waxes, and finishing glazes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information