View Poll Results: Install GenerationDUB's vHoist Car Profile System?

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Way! (I don't want my profile on other sites)

164 72.89%
  • Oh, Yeah!!! (would be nice to have a central profile)

61 27.11%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    I think that would be a fun and interesting resource between the two communities. Maybe you can bring it up with the DW leadership?

will do - know them both so will have a chat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpikle
    will do - know them both so will have a chat

Many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    My biggest concern at this point is what vHoist might want to do with advertising and cross tracking of members. I`m trying to think of this in a positive light, but also realize what your information "could" be used for. :secret

:bat

Bingo!

I say no. But I`m a suspicious crotchety old man, so take it for what`s it`s worth.
    Gary
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatgain
    Bingo!

I say no. But I`m a suspicious crotchety old man, so take it for what`s it`s worth.

Gary, as one of the few who voted "no" that spoke up, I really appreciate your feedback.

I`ve had several conversations with Harry, the developer, about his system and intentions. I believe he is on the right track.

What`s missing for me is a strong public privacy policy and the assurance that advertising will not be exported (injected) to subscriber sites (like Autopia.org).

If Harry did these things, would that bring you over to the "YES" column?

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

I appreciate your concern about possible spam or worse.

Intentions (Harry`s) are one thing. Possible misuse by others, injecting ads notwithstanding, are another. I`d still say no.

I`m loath to spread information about myself, ie: what I own, my interests, etc, on a world-wide web. New spams and scams appear everyday, most of them concerning schemes normal people wouldn`t even have imagined previously.

Told ya I was crotchety!
    Gary
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary,

Not crotchety at all. I`m trying to understand why members are concerned. Maybe there is a misunderstanding that you`re not in control of where your profile is displayed (you are). Maybe it is something else.

It should be understood by all members, that anything you post here (or on any community forum) does not stay here. Google, Yahoo and other web crawlers swing by several times a day picking off your information, including your pictures. Other sites, like BoardReader.com index complete conversations. So, all day long our words, pictures and profiles are being "ripped off" for use by others.

For those who really value their privacy, it`s important to realize you are being tracked (by many) for various reasons. You gave permission to none of these 3rd parties to be tracked or to have your words and pictures grabbed. That`s because they don`t have to when we "publish" in the public domain.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi David,

I`m well aware of the above, believe me. As a Private Investigator, I`ve discovered much information on subjects due to all the info gathering on the Web that you speak of. I`ve seen posters post how many guns they own, where they keep them, where they work, (hence the hours they`re away from home), and other such info about themselves.

Advertisers love it. Scam artists love it. Gypsies tramps and thieves love it. As a PI, I love it. As a private citizen, I hate it.

My thinking is: if someone wants to search for info on me that seems pertinent to them for whatever reason, they have to do SOME work and searching on the Web. I just don`t care to make it easier for whoever by putting info in a central repository. Let `em at least work a little for it.

This is, of course, just MHO.
    Gary
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Major concerns, that`s for sure!

I`ve been working on this "Privacy Policy", but I`m not much of a writer. I`ve been backing most of this with my "word" - and the fact that I`ve been running a car forum myself for the last 8 years, but we all know how good someones word is in a court of law! That being said ...

Right now, the "central database" is not public by any means. Information that you want to be displayed can be displayed on forums you want it displayed on. I have no intention of postings people information unless they want it to be posted. The privacy policy I have right now is essentially the same that you will see on any vBulletin forum.

As David points out, once your info / post is public on a forum, Google, Yahoo and all sorts of other misfit search engines / data collectors are going to get it.

Here`s a prime example:

You posted on this thread, a few hours ago?

Type in "heatgain vhost" into google, and it`s already been crawled.

Heatgain vhoist - Google Search

This isn`t something we can stop easily, particularly if you want to show off your car(s). It`s not for everyone, but I`m a huge showoff when it comes to the work that I put into my ride, as are a lot of people, so this is right up my alley.

Anyway, vHoist is still young and I`m working to appease everyone`s interests!

Thanks for posting up! Info like this is imperative to me for making vHoist better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t see what all the fuss is. I just made my profile, and it`s only viewable on this site right now. I don`t have any other forums that I surf that use this system yet, so it can only be seen here.

Guys it a cool option to have on the site let`s vote yes on it!

Post Thanks / Like
    So don`t post any information that could be found by a search engine and used against me. Got it.

Note to self: do not start the "post your SSN and birth date" thread.

haha

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ ahah so true! I`ve found posts on the internet when I used to be a stupid IRC kiddy back in 1998, and I laugh at some of the stupid "1337" talk I did

Anyway... I Added the / Year / Username / make /model /date search tonight..

Your admin will have to drop in the new php file (v1.0.0.3) in order to take advantage of the new features.

Still looking for feedback from users

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems the tribe has spoken on this feature :tribe: so I will go in search of another solution.

Poll closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information