Post Thanks / Like

What`s Going On With Werkstat?

(I reviewed the rules before posting this and understood this to be an acceptable topic--I hope)

Perhaps others have followed the progression of the Carlack nano products here in North America, from the aborted Shokar line to Werkstat (nee Jeff`s Werkstatt). I never bought any Werkstat products because I never used up my Klasse, but some weird stuff is going on there (I browse the site from time to time).

First they dropped some of the products (Prime Strong, original Jett) then I noticed they had a lot of Carlack-labeled products (which they never had before), so I kind of presumed that they had given up on the North American branding and were just going to sell it as Carlack. Now they are sold out of most of the Prime/Jett etc. products and the Carlack stuff is on blowout pricing...and they have a cryptic message on their home page.

Sounds to me like they are closing up or the marketing arrangement with Carlack has ended (at the end of this year). Anybody have any scoop on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What`s Going On With Werkstat?

It does sound like they are closing up shop. To bad I did like Prime Strong and Jett. I had them up for trade but maybe I`ll keep them due to this possible development.

Post Thanks / Like

The upside might be that Carlack might pursue a broader North American strategy and maybe the nano products will come to PBMA. Or maybe they will be gone from NA.

It`s funny how Werkstat was just as inscrutable as Klasse.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that as well. I emailed them about it but their response was very vague. Their response did hint that I should check back for more new "Into 2015" so who knows.

I have no experience with the Carlack stuff but I love Acrylic Jett. One of the most underrated products IMO.
    Likes Scottwax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

TTT. Anyone have any additional info?

Post Thanks / Like

It may also have something to do with Carlack (Germany) changing hands (twice) in recent years (2012) and now under Swiss ownership. New owners with their own distribution network and possibly different (long term) plans than before.

Carlack GmbH

Post Thanks / Like

Funny I have been trying to get the line into out store since 2008-09 with no luck.
    Phil@DetailersDomain.com

Tel: 201-768-1818

www.DetailersDomain.com

10% off for autopians using autopia at checkout

Facebook, Twitter, Detailing Write Ups, Current News and Specials

Post Thanks / Like

So here is the final verdict for anyone who has been waiting and/or wondering. Polished Bliss over in the UK has had close ties with Werkstat and has posted what`s in the following link.

Introducing the Carlack range? | Car Care Blog | Detailing Blog | Polished Bliss

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is the answer: CARLACK.US

Domain ownership of (Jeff`s)Werkstat is the same, so it looks like he`s simply given up on the Werkstat branding in favor of the Carlack, or maybe it`s the other way around and Carlack has allowed him to sell it that way. I wonder if this means anything for Klasse.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully its not going away completely, I really liked using Werkstat products, used Prime and Trigger/Acrylic Jett quite a lot, definitely has a unique look too. But with the ease of Opti-Seal and now coatings, I`ve moved in another direction. However, its still really good stuff that I think a lot of people would like if they tried it.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, if I wasn`t clear enough, I think Werkstat is gone (as soon as existing inventory is sold), replaced here in the US by the actual Carlack products, but still being sold by (Jeff`s) Werkstat (at a new website).

Post Thanks / Like

The US domain was registered in July `13 and most of the products are been sold at a large discount.

The product labels have changed from Made in Germany to Manufactured in Switzerland.

For what it`s worth this is Carlack`s importer listing - International - CAR-LACK Shop

There are a few other companies in Germany (one even older than Carlack) which manufacture a similar enough range of products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
    Funny I have been trying to get the line into out store since 2008-09 with no luck.
    Which line, Werkstat or Carlack?

It`s funny, I was thinking about this this morning. I always presumed that the Klasse line was created because the importer wanted to have a unique product, but maybe it was more like Carlack said "we don`t know anything about you and we don`t want you tarnishing our name in the US", so they agreed to private-label it to Klasse. Likewise I presumed that Werkstat was Jeff`s idea for the nano products, but maybe again Carlack wanted some separation.

I can see how it might have been tough to move enough Werkstat product to do the separate branding since unlike Klasse, which is available all over, Werkstat seemed to be exclusive to their site, and (just like Klasse) didn`t seem to do any marketing at all. And doubly difficult perhaps since there seemed to be some exclusive Werkstat variants (Jett Trigger, Carnauba Prime, Prime Strong...although Carlack seems to now have a (black bottle) equivalent to Carnauba Prime).

Post Thanks / Like

There are several companies in Germany with similar products (non-abrasive cleansers with acrylic sealant component, as AIO`s have so many uses beyond car care) and they are mostly sold at national trade exhibitions/shows/fairs or directly to the public via online sales, rather than OTC (Chem Tools, Dr. Keddo, SK Formel 1, Gollit).

HI Gloss 707 (AIO) and Quick Gloss 707 (Detailer) were sold in North America and originate from Germany. I think Leka.de manufactured them.

Then there are companies like Remo Autokosmetik who manufacture products for clients, who in turn market them under their various brands.

Thread Information