Thread: Farecla Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Farecla Anyone?

Any old school detailers remember the days of Farecla? G3, G4 and G10? lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope...I don`t go back that far. I came around when Menzerna FMJ (Full Molecular Jacket) was all the rage in and the latest and greatest sealant there was. I also remember when it was pretty common knowledge that a DA couldn`t remove defects or scratches.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Farecla Anyone?

I believe I saw this product at a Sherwin Williams Automotive Paint Store in Bellevue, WA a few years ago..

It is alive and kicking and lots of it on Amazon...

Something else I discovered - a powder you apply on paintwork that has been repaired to show you the imperfections - what`s this ???

In the Body Shop, we Painters would get the repaired vehicle, knock down all the 40-grit scratches, etc., the bodymen left around the repair, feather edge with a D/A Sander, all the paintwork out through all layers so there were no edges, and then clean it and spray multiple coats of primer..

When done with that, we sprayed a very light mist of flat black acrylic lacquer from a spray can and this was our "Guidecoat" to then use as we wet sanded with a block the entire primed area in a cross hatch pattern, being very careful to keep even pressure always as we sanded..

The Guidecoat came off all the areas that were flat, and remained in areas that were not, so we knew what we had to do then..

We also were trained to use our eyes and especially our fingertips to help us feel any imperfections in the panels... Fingertips were always going to be more sensitive to transitions, imperfections, etc., than anything else..

I am always amazed that everyone has been saying for years that you need to put your hand in a plastic bag to feel imperfections in your paint before and after claybar, etc., processes...

Perhaps its just me or the way I was trained and learned, but I can always find more things with a bare clean, dry, hand on similar paintwork, than a host of plastic bags on it...

Thanks for the reminder of things past !
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I believe I saw this product at a Sherwin Williams Automotive Paint Store in Bellevue, WA a few years ago..

It is alive and kicking and lots of it on Amazon...

Something else I discovered - a powder you apply on paintwork that has been repaired to show you the imperfections - what`s this ???

In the Body Shop, we Painters would get the repaired vehicle, knock down all the 40-grit scratches, etc., the bodymen left around the repair, feather edge with a D/A Sander, all the paintwork out through all layers so there were no edges, and then clean it and spray multiple coats of primer..

When done with that, we sprayed a very light mist of flat black acrylic lacquer from a spray can and this was our "Guidecoat" to then use as we wet sanded with a block the entire primed area in a cross hatch pattern, being very careful to keep even pressure always as we sanded..

The Guidecoat came off all the areas that were flat, and remained in areas that were not, so we knew what we had to do then..

We also were trained to use our eyes and especially our fingertips to help us feel any imperfections in the panels... Fingertips were always going to be more sensitive to transitions, imperfections, etc., than anything else..

I am always amazed that everyone has been saying for years that you need to put your hand in a plastic bag to feel imperfections in your paint before and after claybar, etc., processes...

Perhaps its just me or the way I was trained and learned, but I can always find more things with a bare clean, dry, hand on similar paintwork, than a host of plastic bags on it...

Thanks for the reminder of things past !
    DanF
    I was just cleaning out my storage and found a tube (yes a tube, it was the same consistency as toothpaste) of Farecla G3 compound. This stuff was a nightmare to work with!!! LOL It was designed to work with water so you would put some compound on the panel, spray your wool pad, spray the panel, and start the machine. When I say splatter I mean SPLATTER! IT WOULD GO EVERYWHERE!! Your t shirt, your shoes, and pretty much the entire work space would get covered in this stuff. Yet, for some reason, everyone who used it, including me, would swear by it. It was the sh#t! To think how much polishes and compounds have changed....

Post Thanks / Like

What a pain to use! The rep came to my shop and it took 2 days to clean up!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember Farecla. Not quite as classic as 3M Pink Fill N` Glaze or Ardex Stereo Glaze,but close.

Post Thanks / Like

Farècla have a new updated line, Premium or Ultra, wich is not so bad. Old school G3 is not the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Not familiar with that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Seen it a lot around here for marine use
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information