Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Product storage - inside the house or in the garage?

I am wondering if many of my products that I currently store inside my detailing cabinets can be transferred into shelves in the garage? I have tried out quite a few products in search for my favorite, and once I find it, I buy up in bulk. Now I seem to have quite a few 5 liter, 1 gallon, and other bulk APCs, wheel cleaners, and other detailing supplies.

The way that I am thinking about going doing it is putting the chemicals and stuff like that in the garage, while keeping waxes, polishes, coatings, dressings, MF towels, etc. inside the house.

I would think that manufacturers manufacture their products to handle fluctuations in temperatures, but to a certain extent. I live in Dallas so it gets very hot in the summer and somewhat cold in the winter. It gets under freezing sometimes and that`s what worries me with the storage. I don`t think the heat is too much of an issue because the products are transported on huge freighters or trucks that are not climate controlled before they get to the distributor, retailer, or customer.

What does everyone do? I hate to see a brand new SONAX FE 5L or Optimum Power Clean gallon get ruined in the garage because I don`t have the space in the house for it.

Even if it`s - don`t put this in the garage or yes, this is okay, I appreciate every response. Practical experience answers are great too.

Thank you all for your help! As always, happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product storage - inside the house or in the garage?

I always bring all of my supplies into the house and out of the garage for winter. I store them in my basement in plastic totes. Although it`s a huge pain to haul every thing inside it`s much better than worrying about something freezing.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

If the garage diped into the 40F I would move the sealants and polishes. You don`t want them freezing. I leave the rest and so far no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    If the garage diped into the 40F I would move the sealants and polishes. You don`t want them freezing. I leave the rest and so far no issues.
    Solid advice here...I live in CA so it`s never been a concern with freezing.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Solid advice here...I live in CA so it`s never been a concern with freezing.
    I`m in San Bernardino, Ca and we get freezing temps often in the winter and my garage gets over 100° in the summer. I keep everything inside just to be safe but it would be nice to know what we really don`t need to worry about getting really hot or cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I always bring all of my supplies into the house and out of the garage for winter. I store them in my basement in plastic totes. Although it`s a huge pain to haul every thing inside it`s much better than worrying about something freezing.
    same process here. every winter/spring. i`ll keep the basics close. soap etc, for times it warms up in the winter for a wash.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnehls86 View Post
    ....... but it would be nice to know what we really don`t need to worry about getting really hot or cold.
    Everyone seems to have there own process, But I`m like you I would like to know what the temp ranges are to keep products safe. Never have heard.

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in ct, everything came inside for winter
    in fl, NUTTIN
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I went the other way with this and took the time to totally insulate the garage, install 3/4" fireblock wallboard, including the ceiling where I installed 3/4" plywood over the joists, a drop down ceiling ladder, lights up there, and had tons of storage for all the household stuff that can handle a little warmer than ambient temps, and the garage itself stays in the 60 deg range all year long with the doors (which are also insulated) down... If it ever got really cold in there because I had to door/s up to move a car around, etc., a small portable heater could bring the temp back up quickly, and keep it there very easily.
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the Western NC Mountains and it`s already gotten down to almost freezing here with temps in the 30`s. Last year I kept a heater on in the garage but it cost too much so this year all products will go in my basement until I need them. A lot of work to move all the products but better than the price of keeping heat on all year just so products won`t freeze.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I went the other way with this and took the time to totally insulate the garage, install 3/4" fireblock wallboard, including the ceiling where I installed 3/4" plywood over the joists, a drop down ceiling ladder, lights up there, and had tons of storage for all the household stuff that can handle a little warmer than ambient temps, and the garage itself stays in the 60 deg range all year long with the doors (which are also insulated) down...Dan F
    That is my plan once I become a homeowner. Plus set my garage up for washing the car in there once I do get one.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint care products stay in the basement.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnehls86 View Post
    That is my plan once I become a homeowner. Plus set my garage up for washing the car in there once I do get one.
    Great for you !

If I had been able to do this from the beginning, I would have added a stand alone laundry tub sink with hot/cold water, and if possible, a floor drain in the middle so you could wash a car in the garage and not worry about water run off..

One other thing I did was add a cable outlet and installed a Flat Screen TV and Home Theater equipment, all across my 6 - 6` tall double door wood cabinets which take up one whole side of the garage..

Now you have F1 racing, etc., and Tunes when you go to Internet Radio or Ipod...

Did I mention the Fridge and upright Feezer?

Or the 16 - 4` Shoplights hanging from the ceiling?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Great for you !

If I had been able to do this from the beginning, I would have added a stand alone laundry tub sink with hot/cold water, and if possible, a floor drain in the middle so you could wash a car in the garage and not worry about water run off..

One other thing I did was add a cable outlet and installed a Flat Screen TV and Home Theater equipment, all across my 6 - 6` tall double door wood cabinets which take up one whole side of the garage..

Now you have F1 racing, etc., and Tunes when you go to Internet Radio or Ipod...

Did I mention the Fridge and upright Feezer?

Or the 16 - 4` Shoplights hanging from the ceiling?
    Dan F
    I`m jealous haha. The wash tub and drain is a great idea that I really hope I remember when it comes time.

P.S. I`m more of a Rolex/Continental Series fan but I see where you were going with it

Post Thanks / Like

I like and watch all racing - but tend to follow more road course/track/off-road racing and dragstrip racing than anything else..

My dream race for Europe would be the F-1 race at Monaco and Monza..
    And of course, that would also entail going to the Nurburgring tracks and getting it on with the Nordschleife course...

And for the US, it would be the F-1 race at the new venue outside of Austin, Texas..

Went to my first F1 race at Indy back when they still raced there, and it changed me forever... Wow ! Just Wow !!!!

Up here, there is lots of honking big boats racing on Lake Washington and that is also fun to watch..
    Dan F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information