Post Thanks / Like

Question Need insulation advice

So iv`e gone through the steps to get moved into another unit that is on the end (even though I just moved in here may 1st ) because of the heat problem as its really affecting my work, health, & products. I`m also installing an Air conditioner/ Heater window unit into the side of the building in the garage.

Now i`m almost done, except one of the main parts is insulating the roof. Iv`e looked at spray foam but its just OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE (1.50 sq foot for Closed cell at 1 inch thick)

I can`t seem to find someone knowledgeable on insulation on what my options are other than just spray foam. The building is 1000sqft & it would just be the roofing.

Any ideas or advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need insulation advice

Have you thought about just picking up large sheets of foam board insulation from home depot or Lowes and just slapping them up there? If I recall they aren`t too expensive. Just have to figure out how to secure them up there safely

Post Thanks / Like

No I haven`t, that might not be a bad idea. Thanks Shane

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 with Shane B

There are big thick almond color foam with a thick layer of aluminum foil on both sides that are made for insulating roof trusses.
    That might be your only option.. The idea behind these is that the thick foil will help reflect the heat back up and the foam between will help keep the heat from coming through.

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

If you don`t own the building, be sure to get permission to alter the space.

Attaching insulation to the underside of the roof deck is dangerous if it`s not fastened with metal screws. Of course that can`t be done from below. It may creates leaks. The expansion and contraction of the roof deck will cause the adhesive to fail, endangering the persons below.

I suggest you contact an industrial roofing company and ask for suggestions.

IMO, a drop ceiling will give the most benefit. You need to reduce the height in order to reduce the energy loss. Any heat or cooling escaping above 8` is very difficult to recover.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gloss View Post
    If you don`t own the building, be sure to get permission to alter the space.

Attaching insulation to the underside of the roof deck is dangerous if it`s not fastened with metal screws. Of course that can`t be done from below. It may creates leaks. The expansion and contraction of the roof deck will cause the adhesive to fail, endangering the persons below.

I suggest you contact an industrial roofing company and ask for suggestions.

IMO, a drop ceiling will give the most benefit. You need to reduce the height in order to reduce the energy loss. Any heat or cooling escaping above 8` is very difficult to recover.
    Yes the owner is actually going in 50/50 with me on however I decide to insulate, I`m leaning more towards open cell spray foam or the rigid boards I can slap up there for now.

Post Thanks / Like

That will be the most affordable, as drop ceilings are $3.90 S.

Post Thanks / Like

R U sure there are no rigid insulation boared (or tappered insulation) on top of the metal decking? Your second photo shown the decking are level with CMU joints. I can`t tell is the highest point of your roof and start to slope down. But It should require more slope (3:12 min. slope)than that! Can U find out more info.?

Post Thanks / Like

There is no slope on the underside

Post Thanks / Like

Flat roof! I will guess they use tappered insulation over metal deck, to created a 1/8" or 1/4" slope to drain the rain water into a roof drain. The owner should have the info for his bldg, like the R-vaule on the roof and in the wall. U can also find out from your town hall what is the reqiurement for the bldg code in your area. See you have R-22 on your roof. Call your town hall and let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

O! Let me explain the tappered insulation has R- vaule. We usually take the average between the low point and the high point. If your bldg use tappered inusaltion, most likely you don`t need any insulation undernearth the metal deck. It will create more problem because of the dew point is inside the bldg. The condensation can not get out of the bldg. Long story short, find out the info for me form your own if not call town hall.

Thread Information