Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

just my opinion

I don`t post much at all but this is just my opinion about the current state of detailing and where it is going from my point of view. I`m a new detailer myself but have been a car guy since the beginning. I have noticed more and more "new" detailers just popping up everywhere and opening businesses (unlicensed and uninsured) working on all these high-end luxury cars. Not knowing how long they have been detailing or not its just seems like the work is not focusing on the detailing anymore and more towards, hey I`m working on a Ferrari or lambo and this makes me the upper echelon of detailing. Just because you can go onto a site and purchase the newest polisher to come on the market and all of a sudden your a professional. It`s like if your not detailing a high-end vehicle or using a rupes your not a good detailer. It`s getting away from what myself enjoy about detailing, the car doesn`t matter its the quality of the work that was performed. I WANT the scratched up,oxidized, never been washed car that needs a full correction and sanding and everything else not because its going to take 75hrs at 90/hr but because it will showcase my talent and dedication to learn this craft and be able to perform to the highest level possible regardless of the manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: just my opinion

That happens in just about every trade situation when the economy is doing poorly and the recovery is slow.

Ask any landscape contractor. All you need is a mower and trimmer and you`re a landscape contractor.

People have to work somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, but you don`t have to be a detailer. Its just like the tattoo industry. If you go out and buy a tattoo gun and start tattooing in your basement you are a tattoo artist lol. I mean the fact that you don`t have a autoclave, a sanitized workstation, gloves, license, really doesn`t mean anything when your charging less to cause more pain and damage that will cost more in the long run. I guess its just starting to be a fad with detailing that in order to be successful you have to use the most expensive tools and work on the most expensive cars to get your work recognized( going off topic) but that just seems whats the goal is.

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of a story, when I lived in NC someone had posted that there was a on site detailer who comes once a week and does simple hand washes to full details. I was driving a Nissan Maxima at the time. I made an appointment for the full detail for his next on site wed. I get a call at my desk to meet him in the lobby, I do and give him my keys. I get a call about 5 minutes later to come out. He hands me back my keys and says "uhh there is nothing I can do to your car...." lol...I asked him just to wash it then.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

lol

Post Thanks / Like

Comparing detailers to tattoo artist is actually pretty accurate. These guys will come and go, but the real pros..the ones who have dedicated their entire lives, sacrificed their backs and shoulders, their relationships..those are the ones who have paid their dues and will be around for years to come. These internet detailers who have done a total of 30 cars and call themselves not only a pro, but a high end pro, will come and go. Its partially our fault for making it look easy. They look up to the guys who have been doing this for 20 years, see the money they are making, and think "I can buy a Rupes and some polishes, and I can make that kind of money too". Next thing you know, they are flooding the forums asking what pads they need, etc. Im all for helping noobs, but like you, Im seeing this more and more and its fairly disturbing. Ill stick with doing nasty daily drivers and making my clients happy, and let the noobs have the bragging rights of working on Lambos while uninsured

Post Thanks / Like

I would think the high-priced luxury vehicles would actually need a detailer`s expertise less than a soccer mom`s van. Paint is paint and dirt is dirt. Which vehicle is is usually more in need of a detail?

Post Thanks / Like

exactly. I respect and look up to the ones that have been around long before detailing 599 and Gallardo and really had to fix some hacked and jacked cars just with a rotary and a small selection of product and produce show quality paint correction. That`s why I refuse to start really marketing myself and business until I am fully confident in my abilities with a rotary on any paint system, yes it will be challenging but that is the beauty of it for me personally. I want to use a rotary for my detailing just because I appreciate the technique of the ones that have perfected it. I am just the guy that prefers a classic over a super car any day of the week lol. I think detailing is a craft and a art form period.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

In the world of Entitlement that we see more and more every day, it is no surprise that many think they can just go "do it" and it will be fine, and they are entitled to getting the big money, etc., right off the bat.

I dont care how much the Internet grows, gets bigger, gets easier to use, and so forth, all of this with its accompanying videos, you tube videos, zillions of forums, etc., will never substitute for hands on work and/or working with a seasoned professional who can show and answer every question you have, with tried and true experience that goes forever.

Used to be pretty much any job required classroom work, training, hands-on training and mentoring, and eventually, you got into the workplace but still had access to those who were the really skilled and experienced, even the wisest ones..

Now, as has been aptly said above, you go buy all these things and somehow expect the wisdom and knowledge and experience that took decades for others to gain, to somehow fall into your mind or something..

One might be better off contemplating their navel or something at this point, because this knowledge and experience is not going to come without a whole lot of work, sweat, and tears, at times...

I grew up learning and using a Rotary and will always use it because for me, it is fast, gets the best correction quickest, and leaves a very level finish that will be perfectly flat, swirl free, and ready for the LSP of choice.

It does take time to learn how to use it and there are millions of really great Painters who not only paint beautifully, but also know how to use a Rotary to finish the paintwork to stunning quality, every day...

The ones who taught me and mentored me were the best. We color sanded everything after painting, so I had to learn how to restore the paint to the "before" sanding look, and believe me there was no greater challenge than working out 600 grit sanding scratches...

"" I think detailing is a craft and an art form period."" -- JMjr --- These words are so true ! You are "getting" it !! I am proud of you !

Its just the way it is in the real world...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
    I would think the high-priced luxury vehicles would actually need a detailer`s expertise less than a soccer mom`s van. Paint is paint and dirt is dirt. Which vehicle is is usually more in need of a detail?
    both. I would think regardless of it being a soccer moms van deserves a detailer expertise.

Post Thanks / Like

There are all different kind of detailers and services. You get the high end jobs because you worked hard mastering a craft that you enjoy.
    2 types of detailing production and high end. Production is your education, studying, training and learning and high end is reaping the rewards of of that education.
    A lot of people don`t even notice stuff unless you educate them and point it out. A high end car owner will. When your working on a garage queen or show car.
    My father-in-law used to take my-mother-in laws car to get "detailed" once a year for $100. More like hacked. I told him give me the $100 bucks. I put in almost 14 hours. It came out perfect and still looks great after 3 months. Now I do it for him twice a year and every year it gets better and easier because I take care of it. It takes me 2 hours to wash dry and a quick spray wax. He throws me cash for that too. When it`s $100 time rolls around it`s maybe a wash, clay polish, seal and wax. Most of the time wash, polish, seal and wax or and AIO pending what pics I need for my portfolio.
    Yes it`s dirt cheap labor. But it`s a driving billboard that has a stack of my B/C`s in the glove compartment. I have several of those cars floating around town. The good thing is a few family members pay me fair labor value. I do cut them a little break on the $

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you`ll not avoid is price negotiations and complainers.

Rich people complain the same as poor people.

That`s too much! Can you come down a bit?

Are you kidding me? For polish and wax?

The guy who makes $600 a minute will complain much more than the soccer mom who is appreciative that she can now see out the glass and move her feet without stepping on a Pez.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen detailing technology make a lot of advancements in the last few years.
    Be it the newest machine, products, pads, polishes or coatings. It`s the preparation.
    The recent advancements in DA technology make it (almost) bulletproof for a newbie.

Can a newbie do the same type of work as a person with years of rotary experience?
    I don`t think so. They can achieve a swirl free finish with some good gloss & clarity.

There is nothing more valuable than years of experience and expertise with a rotary.
    True detailing IMHO is a learned skill, an art & a passion that takes years to develop.
    And yes, I enjoy doing an "Extreme Makeover" and watching their face when I`m done.

Post Thanks / Like

Red flags are easy on a hack - "how long does the full detail take?` "about an hour" EEEEEEEEEEEE!

When I lived in NC it was in the rdu triangle. A lot of .com options people with fancy cars. I never saw more swirl marks and sadness then when I lived there.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Gonna throw this out there because I`ve noticed it before and never said anything.

How often on these forums and anther one have we seen people sign up with their first post and say "hey just detailed my car for the first time might start a business what do I need?" Then they get recommendations and bam professional detailer when they`ve barely scratched the surface. There`s a difference between being a professional and someone who does it here and there for friends and family bc they`re good at it. Like already mentioned just because you have both rupes and a flex and own all the swissvax waxes and high end polishes doesn`t mean you`re a pro. Just amazes me how many of these types of people pop up on forums every day and people don`t think twice to mention these things to them. How is the guy who doesn`t know what pad or polish to choose going to become a pro?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information