Thread: Detailing Cart

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Cart

Hi all, I`m new to the detailing scene but have decided to dive head first into the waters of weekend warrioring with the possibility of hopefully opening up my own full service auto shop someday... but that`s a story for another post.

I`m in the process of finishing my garage so that I can work out of there as my shop. That being said, stuff is always getting moved around between the house and the shed and all of my detailing products are in tubs etc... Basically what I feel like I`m missing is a good utility cart that can hold most of my supplies that I can easily move to wherever I`m working at and have most of my tools within reach because currently i feel like I`m spending more time wandering looking for stuff than I do actually working.

Anyways, long story short I cam across this little guy and am planning on building one with a few modifications to suit my needs. Any ideas/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I`m kind of just trying to find my way in the dark. Also if anyone else uses anything different pictures or information are definitely welcome.

Last edited by Custom Care; 12-28-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Formatted spacing

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That really doesn`t seem bad . Id add some brackets for supplemental lighting myself. Overall nice little package for homemade.
    I`m a little of a mobile cart/shelf fanatic myself. Anything movable makes clean up easy and things within reach.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Cart

Personally, I think that cart has a lot going for it. Both designs have merit but I prefer the first model myself. Plenty of space for products, pads, and towels. I like the simplicity of its design and also it`s size and proportions...

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Are plans available for the top cart?

I`m going to make three. One for me, son and son in law.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren`t they all the same cart viewed from different sides??

Looks pretty nice. I can see how this could come in very handy.

Just don`t forget to put a brake wheel on one of those casters. The whole cart can roll away if the surface is not 100% flat and crash into your neighbors car...

Ask me how I know.

I love making stuff like that. Stuff where usefulness is the goal, not appearance. I`m not into fancy carved table legs or dovetails on drawers. Just something that works.

A while back I made this bucket dolly from a furniture dolly. It`s tough as nails and I still use it with every wash. Costs about $30.00 to build.

Post Thanks / Like

nicely designed !

Post Thanks / Like

I like making my own stuff too.

I`m working on a bucket dolly. Instead of brackets, I`m going to test a routed groove for bucket flange to drop in. I won`t know if it`s tilt proof until I test it.

2X3 frame
    3/4" Plywood deck - grooved for bucket flanges
    Medium Duty Casters
    Fixed vertical telescoping handle mounted to the deck between the buckets.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the 3 pictures are of the same cart just from different angles. I like how the sides are different and the separate dimensions fit my needs perfectly. I`ve found the 3" rubber swivel caster with and without brakes from Harbor Freight to be the best bang for my buck at under $5 a piece for the ones with casters and even cheaper for the ones without. The link to the plans is here: http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/mai...garagecart.pdf
    <br>
    Swani: It`s funny because I was browsing through my local hardware store today and decided to come up with my own plans for a bucket dolly and I was trying to figure out how to recess/route the groove for the bast like Mr. Glass. I also had the idea of taking two old buckets, cutting them in half then securing them to the dolly that way the buckets would just sit right in and hopefully have plenty of support... If that makes any sense to anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

CC

I`ll use a Dremel Tool with Circle Guide Attachment to make the recessed groove.

Post Thanks / Like

So far my design is holding up very well (I`ve since painted it black) and doesn`t come near tipping.

Instead of spending the cash on casters and wood I started with this for $11.99 from Harbor Freight

That way I already had 4 casters and plenty of spare wood to work with.

Also, I made this removeable workbench the other day

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a picture of the underside of the cart? I`ve got a 3 day weekend coming up either this week or the next and I would like to give your design a shot.

I also plan on finally getting around to working on the detailing cart. I ran into some design issues when I got my vac n blo and steamer. I would like to be able to fit both of them on the cart as well.

I was thinking about putting the steamer on the bottom shelf where the toolbox is in the picture and somehow mounting the metro unit to the side of the cart.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Aren`t they all the same cart viewed from different sides??

Looks pretty nice. I can see how this could come in very handy.

Just don`t forget to put a brake wheel on one of those casters. The whole cart can roll away if the surface is not 100% flat and crash into your neighbors car...

Ask me how I know.

I love making stuff like that. Stuff where usefulness is the goal, not appearance. I`m not into fancy carved table legs or dovetails on drawers. Just something that works.

A while back I made this bucket dolly from a furniture dolly. It`s tough as nails and I still use it with every wash. Costs about $30.00 to build.

Thread Information