Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do detailing wise today?

I received a new set of rims to replace my bent ones. Just finished coating them.

Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_1 View Post
    I received a new set of rims to replace my bent ones. Just finished coating them.

How did that happen? should give me a call and come look at the new shop location.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Pot holes. I believe it was probably on the drive into Pick&Save. It took out a tire and rim last year and for sure one of the bent ones happened at that time just have no clue on the other two.

Post Thanks / Like

Had vacation this week. So her Escape got a good detail. Hydro Blue was used as the LSP. It`s not being used much the last few months due to her working from home.

My truck got 2 more coats of TW HS Coating. Sun friendly indeed. I had no issues with using it in some sun.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    So curiosity got the best of me when I was at the Autozone the other day browsing the car cleaning section. Picked up some Meguiar`s Hybrid Ceramic wax and seen their Iron Decon (D2002?) and figure the truck needed some love.

Did 2 coats of the Hybrid Ceramic and did a quick mist of the Ceramic detailer. While I know it probably won`t last long I was somewhat impressed for something over the counter. It may be an 11 year old truck, but cleans up nice. It promptly rained the next night on the way to work and beading was pretty good. Kept alot of the road grime off, which was my primary goal. Should last me a couple months till I get my new TRD logos in and polish the whole truck. Plastic trim got a coat of 303 as well.
    Just a quick follow up. Product did NOT last long at all. Having thought about it, it might have not been the right product for single stage paints. That and the truck sits outside 24/7 and is driven in all the elements. Going to have to go to something more old school. Have a bottle of Collinite 845 that I might test on the hood as it seems to be the hardest spot for protection to last.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Today I just did my first ever detailing. Okay, it took 2 days....

I recently bought an Audi Q5. I was thinking I was going to get it detailed and before you know it I’m going down the rabbit hole of doing it myself. I studied this up and got supplies and fresh products for a two bucket wash (3 if you count the wheel bucket). I also researched and ended up with a Griot’s G9, an assortment of pads and a 5 inch backing plate. The Griots kit came (from Cleaning Garage) with some Sonax 4/6. I’m going to save that for my Audi, because I decided I’d start my detailing adventure working my wife’s 9 year old Honda CRV... which might have been waxed once and gets washed once a year, whether it needs it or not. I chose the Griots Complete Polish from my local AutoZone.

As an aside, I do have some experience using a Makita orbital polisher, but that was to wax the gel coat on my sailplane many years ago. That was a long and hard job running a polisher at high speed, the danger wasn’t of burning through the coating but letting the “bite” of the polisher rip it from your hands and hurl it at some very expensive parts of a glider whose airworthiness depended on not damaging any flight controls.

Washed the wife’s CRV and then went to work on it. Did a test patch using Griot’s Complete Polish. I was still left with swirly scratches and thought I’d give the Griots Complete Compound a try. I knew this would double the work with the polishing machine but thought I’d at least try it, and it worked nicely, I was thrilled at how well it worked. I now have to do two passes over the whole car. Of course there are deeper scratches that I can’t get out and I think some of them actually are all the way through the clear coat, this car spends a third of its life in an airport parking lot. After I do the compound and polish of the whole car, the wife and kids are commenting that they think it looks better than the day it was new. I finish it off with the Griot’s “Ceramic” spray (SiO2) and a second coat 24 hours later.

A few thoughts and I welcome comments...

Initially I tried a synthetic clay pad and it simply didn’t get the years of stuff off the hood and doors. I bought real clay bars and it worked significantly better, this was my first experience with clay barring a car or part of one.

I used 2 microfiber pads (griots) to do the compounding. I thought I would need more from what I’ve been reading about best practices, either I’m not picky enough or wasn’t using enough product?? I used 4 foam pads (Rupes yellow foam), two 6 inch pads and two 5 inch pads. I really like the 5 inch pads. A few times I think they got loaded up with too much product and I had some splatter when I went over an edge. Initially I taped all the trim worried about irreparable white staining that I remember from the days of waxing cars. Completely unnecessary, in fact I eventually used a foam wheel with some polish to clean up some of the trim, I hope that wasn’t a mistake!

The Griots Ceramic spray seemed to work nice. I picked that because I was basically paralyzed with indecision over so many options for sealing a finish and I definitely wanted to tray a sealant versus a traditional Carnauba wax. I want the finish to last.

Next up is probably my Audi. It’s only a year old but I bought it used (it was a Certified pre-owned that was used as a loaner at the dealer) and I’m sure its been through car washes. It is black metallic. I can see small swirly marks using my LED flashlight at the right angle. Hoping I can get away without compounding...

Then there is my daughters 2 year old Subaru Crosstrek... It’s going to need a serious clay bar treatment before compounding and polishing since it lives outside and gets hit by seasonal tree sap.

Last, I had never used a DA Orbital polisher before. All my experience has been with a Makita orbital on gelcoat and if you want more cut—press harder. I’m not sure what the best way is to get a little more cut from a DA polisher. Is it just the pad and compound that really makes a difference ?? I read that the Flex polisher uses a direct drive system. Is that the middle ground between something like the Griots or Rupes and the direct drive orbital polisher/sanders??

Thanks.
    Likes Coleroad, GearHead_1, Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

22ple Insanity + VS1 went down nicely.

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing on a wintery June day. To cold. Oh one of the joys of living in the mountains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Making someone else happy, is one of the best feelings.

Post Thanks / Like

DP Final Touch QD on the Q5:
    Likes Nizmo, Tc99m, tom p. liked this post
    Thanks Tc99m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maintenance wash on the ZR2. And another round of protection on the tonneau cover with Wolfstiens. Good stuff! Find something you like and use it often!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Borrowing a page out of The Guz`s playbook:

Perhaps more interesting is some CanCoat that didn`t quite feel right when I picked it up:

Edit: It`s kinda the consistency of lumpy Jello, wobbles about when moved/poked.
    Likes The Guz, tonipieleanu, Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I put a coat of PA high gloss wax on my car.

Likes Civicclutch, Mary B, BudgetPlan1, acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

Perhaps more interesting is some CanCoat that didn`t quite feel right when I picked it up:

Edit: It`s kinda the consistency of lumpy Jello, wobbles about when moved/poked.
    I know exactly what you mean. I had to throw out my bottle of cancoat for the same reason after it did not feel right using in on the face of wheels.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

How old was it? Did you store with the sprayer on or with the lid?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonipieleanu View Post
    How old was it? Did you store with the sprayer on or with the lid?
    It`s likely 2 years old or thereabouts. Cap was on, not sprayer.
    Likes tonipieleanu liked this post

Page 412 of 423 FirstFirst ... 312362398399400401402403404405406407408409410411412413414415416417418419420421422423 LastLast

Thread Information