Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do detailing wise today?

Quote Originally Posted by dmath View Post
    Last week we bought a car for our youngest son, a 2013 Mini Paceman (he`s a Mini fanatic). Today, he and I started detailing it.

We began by spraying the front with Bug Out and then washed with Dawn to remove whatever crap the dealer might have put on it. Then an Iron-X decontamination and thorough rinse. Then we clayed it using GG Brilliant Finish synthetic clay (first time using it -- really like it). Then another wash, this time with Adam`s shampoo. Finally, we put Reload on it. It`s a 6 year old car with 98K miles so it isn`t perfect. It would benefit from a polish but I`ve never done that and am not about to experiment on my son`s "new" car. Even without polishing, it`s a huge improvement and feels silky smooth. We still need to attack the interior and engine bay.
    I just did my first polish in May. It’s pretty easy if your just looking to polish. Long as you keep moving almost impossible to damage paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Spent the long weekend re-coating my 2017 RAM 1500.

Had applied Optimum Gloss Coat when I first bought it (October `17) so it was about time to re-do the coating. This time I went with 22ple HPC....shout out to BudgetPlan1 for the materials suggestions and just plain great help and tips

Typical wash the truck so I dont have pics of it.

I did take the chance to compare IronX to Britemax Iron Max....I really liked the Iron Max. Since it acted more like a "gel" it stayed on the paint much better. Does it make a difference in the end? Not sure, but I felt like the extra dwell time would be more helpful than spraying and watching most of the material end up on the ground.

IronX left, Iron Max right:

MVIMG_20190703_162342.jpg

I then hit a few panels with a NanoSkin DA pad. After using that I tried the baggie trick and the paint still didnt feel 100% smooth to me. So I abandoned the NanoSkin and went old school....actual claybar. Luckily the truck wasn`t really bad to begin with, so it didnt take TOO long to finish claying.

Then went over the whole truck with my HF DA, a white lake country pad and Optimum HyperPolish. I wanted to be 100% sure the previous Gloss Coat application was gone, I figured the best way to be sure was to polish everything. Once that was done I did a fairly quick assessment of what was left....some swirls, mostly where things (and people) go in and out of the truck - door edges, pickup bed rails, etc. I hit those spots with my Meguiars microfiber pad and the same Hyper Polish. I have to say the Meguiars mf pads are something I forget about but always love having. They made quick work of removing the swirls and even left a pretty good finish. But just to be sure I cleaned it up with the white pad.

As I was polishing I was careful (because of previous experience) to make sure and wipe down each panel so the polish residue wouldn`t stick. Unfortunately I either wasnt fast enough, missed some spots, or HyperPolish hates me but I ended up with some small spots that had VERY stubborn residue leftover. 12% IPA and Eraser wipedowns did NOT touch it, at least not without pressing more than I wanted to. In the interested of being thorough, I hit each panel with a 4:1 Optimum PowerClean wipdedown, then another IPA wipedown right after to make sure the PowerClean was gone.

Stubborn residue (below the LED spots under the taped emblem):

MVIMG_20190706_104615.jpg

Just before coating each panel I did an Eraser wipedown....first time Ive used Eraser and I like it mostly because i feels more "lubricious" than just IPA. Just stumbled on a thread about how Eraser might interfere with HPC but I guess its too late now! I think BudgetPlan used it without issue so I think Im good to go (it was an old thread so maybe things have changed by now)

As far as the coating....Im impressed. It was painfully easy to use (other than the crappy bottle!) to the point I was sure I must have been doing it wrong. Truck was garaged in shade but it was hot and humid outside. Just for the heck of it I left the coating on one panel for almost 15 minutes (!!!) and it still wiped off with little to no effort (using TRC Peral or Edgeless 365). The surface feel left behind is great....definitely not coating like, more like a sealant....smooth and slick, not grabby at all.

After applying:

MVIMG_20190706_133342.jpg

After setup and ready for removal:

MVIMG_20190706_140316.jpg

I did 2 coats total and the 50mL bottle BARELY made it (and in fact, did NOT make it....I didnt get to do the tailgate). I may have over-used it a bit, I feel like I lost some while I was futzing with getting drops out of the bottle. BudgetPlan gave me a great tip - plastic pipettes, transfer the liquid into one of them to drop onto the applicator. BTW, AutoFiber Saver Applicators are spectacular....once you get used to them. If I didnt make a nice straight line of coating, when I applied it to a panel I was getting "gaps" between the "tracks" of coating. Since I went once vertical and once horizontal, it spread out pretty well after that, but I tried to keep a nice line on the applicator at all times. That might have cost me some coating, but the flipside is that I feel like the applicator made it go a lot further than the standard foam pad or even suede cloth.

Huge thanks to BudgetPlan for everything! I hope I did it all justice....some of my pics arent the greatest but the whole album is here if you want to take a look: https://photos.app.goo.gl/D9tNgfGZS7xxfwpf6

-Chris
    Likes bofh, Mary B, BudgetPlan1, PantherShark, bob m and 1 others liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. I`ve coated my truck twice as well and I know how much work you have to do. The second time I did it I broke the truck in half
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks chris03tl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Alas, looking at it in the sun, I noticed a few spots I missed.

2 with some extra swirls in them and 1 where I apparently didnt remove the HPC in time (or at all). Thought I was careful, guess I was not!

Since I needed more for the tailgate anyway, the 30mL on the way will work to fix those areas. Going to let it cure until the weekend then hit those areas as surgically as I can to minimize how much re-coating I need to do. Maybe I can get away without doing the whole panel?
    Likes Mary B, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Began the strip process of sealant & wax caked GQ.

Trying this decon soap, looking for foam ability and strength.

The foam action, w/ ik foamier.

The beading action before.

After 1 manual wash and rinse.

The hood, that had Dr. Beasley’s plasma. At first not too
    bad, but a few minutes it went to this

Well... I’m taking her inside this coming weekend to let it dwell under foam, then wash a few more times.
    All in all, not bad !
    I have several sealants and untold layers of wax.
    If this soap did this well in 1 wash I’m hopeful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes bofh, SWETM, Diner, Stokdgs, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We got home last night after a long weekend in NYC. Her car had probably a 1000 miles on it since I last washed it. Lots of dirt, pollen, and bugs all over. This morning I started with pre-treating all bugs and grimy areas with Power Clean at full strength. Car was pressure washed off. I washed with Optimum car soap, then topped off the IGL Premier that`s on the paint and wheels. Tires got scrubbed till white foam came out and got IGL Tyre.
    Then I started getting carried away. Since I had the pressure washer out, the grill got cleaned with Meguiars Degreaser, and topped with Optimum Car Wax. The lawnmower got scrubbed with Power Clean 10:1, then the deck and engine got Gyeon Wet Coat. Controls got Optimum Car Wax.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM, Mary B, Diner, Stokdgs, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Even our rental cars end up being black...coincidence?

Well, I couldn`t stare at a messed up black hood so a bit of prep, a quick polish and TAC Systems Moonlight on passenger side, good `ol Gyeon CanCoat on drivers side...much better.

Hope it at least rains a bit while we have it.

I know...its a sickness.
    Likes SWETM, Mary B, Diner, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

Well, I couldn`t stare at a messed up black hood so a bit of prep, a quick polish and TAC Systems Moonlight on passenger side, good `ol Gyeon CanCoat on drivers side...much better.

I know...its a sickness.
    Better experience with Moonlight when used on bare paint? Or it where maybe the water spots you got afterwards that was a PIA?

Hehe it looks nice now!

/ Tony
    Likes Mary B, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Better experience with Moonlight when used on bare paint? Or it where maybe the water spots you got afterwards that was a PIA?

Hehe it looks nice now!

/ Tony
    Was the dirty water spotting back in Summer 2017; we`ll see how it goes this time.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Teaching myself to do interiors, GQ first.
    This is a beginner doing just what’s needed.
    No way am I at a level to be pulling seats yet.
    Also testing out products that will be reliable going forward.

This is the cleaner

Just enjoyed this product.
    Foamed lime cleaner. Cleaned all but the glass. Seats, even the padded dash.

Need more of these too

Glass was Gyeon w/ RCs Black Diamond.
    2nd try for the towel, they are streak busters !
    The small bottle worked great, climbing around inside.

My dash and vinyl got

It was streaking, turned out to be the Pluffle
    that I used to wipe off. Switched to a dreaded Minx,
    which did a great job. I underestimated the little Minx.

Before

After

Thanks for lookin ‘

Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know...its a sickness.
    Are you trying Moonlight again? I still have half of a bottle that you sent me. You can probably get 8-9 cars out of a bottle of Moonlight. I was going to do a side by side test but you beat me to it, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Washed the work truck.

Then put Mothers CMX on the windshield, hood, front end, and passenger side including glass.

Turtle Wax SNS on roof, drivers side including glass and rear window.

Meguiars HCW in rear bumper and tailgate.

Hit tires and trim with hyper dressing at 4:1 and called it a night.

IMG_1113.jpgIMG_1114.jpgIMG_1115.jpgIMG_1117.jpgIMG_1118.jpgIMG_1119.jpgIMG_1120.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B, SWETM, Diner liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mary B --
    Ref - "" No way am I at a level to be pulling seats yet.""

If you get the right tools for vacuuming, and even the right tools for a Steamer and/or Extractor, you will probably never have to pull a seat out unless there is something dead under it, etc...

And then, hope its the back seat which is so much easier to remove compared to big heavy bucket seats with a few connections underneath them..

Just have to acquire the right thin, long, sometimes flexible vacuum tools and the same type metal tools for a steamer and extractor, good daylight or Led lights, and you can have really clean carpeting throughout the entire inside floor and trunk carpet.

I really like Detailing Interiors outside in the sun if possible; pretty hard to beat that daylight.. Open all the doors, sunroof , etc., get er done..

You did an awesome job on your Interior !!! Wow !! Beautiful !!!

Dan F
    Likes Mary B, bob m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Are you trying Moonlight again? I still have half of a bottle that you sent me. You can probably get 8-9 cars out of a bottle of Moonlight. I was going to do a side by side test but you beat me to it, lol.
    Yup...hadda give it a try again. So many like it so wanted to circle back and give it another go. Unfortunately, haven`t hit any rain in last 1k miles so it`s been pretty uneventful. Might get lucky and get some rain tomorrow up in Lake Placid.

Since the hood of this rental is now swirl-free, last thing I`ll do with this car before returning is find a spinning-brush car wash and run it thru to see how much it goons up the hood. From the looks of the paint, won`t be the first time it`s seen car wash brushes.
    Likes SWETM, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yup...hadda give it a try again. So many like it so wanted to circle back and give it another go. Unfortunately, haven`t hit any rain in last 1k miles so it`s been pretty uneventful. Might get lucky and get some rain tomorrow up in Lake Placid.

Since the hood of this rental is now swirl-free, last thing I`ll do with this car before returning is find a spinning-brush car wash and run it thru to see how much it goons up the hood. From the looks of the paint, won`t be the first time it`s seen car wash brushes.
    If you any plastic trim and rubber to protect and also revives pretty impresive. Test Moonlight to apply to those part it`s a really great off label use as that. And says to be very durable at these materials too.

Awesome work Mary! Looks great your cars interior.
    Likes Mary B, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Page 402 of 423 FirstFirst ... 302352388389390391392393394395396397398399400401402403404405406407408409410411412413414415416 ... LastLast

Thread Information