Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Road Salt Remover / Neutralizer ?

I have been around for quite awhile and one thing that I keep looking for and think possibly is missing in my “Winter Car Care” cleaning selection is a Road Salt Remover / Neutralizer.

Being in Ohio and dealing with road salt issues every winter has me looking for an option for something to add to my cleaning routine to make the job safer and better. I don`t see myself moving south anytime soon due to work and family so coming up with a solution would be great.

I have read about distilled white vinegar mixes that could be sprayed on and used to help remove salt. I have also heard of an Optimum ONR/MDR mix that would possibly do something similar. (1oz ONR / 2-4oz MDR / 1 Gal Water).

Does anyone have a homemade mixture or concentrated solution that they use with good success?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Road Salt Remover / Neutralizer ?

I have a car wash located by my house I use to get rid of the heavy stuff, then I bring it home and I have used Poorboys S&W, and am now using Adams version and it works great.

Post Thanks / Like

AMMO has a new anti-salt version of FROTHe. At $38 for the 16 oz bottle, it`s maybe $2-2.50 per wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ernman View Post
    I have a car wash located by my house I use to get rid of the heavy stuff, then I bring it home and I have used Poorboys S&W, and am now using Adams version and it works great.
    I’m not a big fan of using the pay and spray car wash. In the winter it’s far enough away that everything freezes on the way home after use and I dislike having to pay $2+ per use just to try and spray things down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    I’m not a big fan of using the pay and spray car wash. In the winter it’s far enough away that everything freezes on the way home after use and I dislike having to pay $2+ per use just to try and spray things down.
    Luckily it’s only a half mile from my house and the garage is heated so if it does freeze on the way home it doesn’t last long.

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw an ad on Face Book from 303 products, they have a salt neutralizer boat wash additive. I don`t see why it couldn`t be used on cars
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I just saw an ad on Face Book from 303 products, they have a salt neutralizer boat wash additive. I don`t see why it couldn`t be used on cars

I did just see this as well. It might be something I look into trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    AMMO has a new anti-salt version of FROTHe. At $38 for the 16 oz bottle, it`s maybe $2-2.50 per wash.
    Hey, I was looking at a related product, Ammo Boost Anti-Salt, and in the CA-required disclosure, one of the ingredients is sodium chloride. In other words, salt. It says it`s a viscosity modifier.

PS I was going to mention long-ago discussions here (I think it was here) about statements made by Optimum regarding salt being used to thicken dish detergents and car soaps, but I think that is just going to muddle things in this thread.
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Hey, I was looking at a related product, Ammo Boost Anti-Salt, and in the CA-required disclosure, one of the ingredients is sodium chloride. In other words, salt. It says it`s a viscosity modifier.

PS I was going to mention long-ago discussions here (I think it was here) about statements made by Optimum regarding salt being used to thicken dish detergents and car soaps, but I think that is just going to muddle things in this thread.
    Will have to file that under things that make you go huh? along with Adams scented odor neutralizer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    Will have to file that under things that make you go huh? along with Adams scented odor neutralizer
    I was unfamiliar with that particular dichotomy!

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s the thread discussion on Whips Salt Remover from November of 2018 started by Older ,but I think it, too, is a marine-based (AKA boating) product.
    Whip`s Wax Salt Remover
    (Check out Ron Ketcham`s advise about a ValuGaurd product, VG-502 ProGard)

I was with the understanding that Bilt-Hamber Pre-Wash Sno-Foam (NOT the waterless foam) was suppose to have some salt-neutralizing chemicals in it, but I may be wrong.
    Bilt Hamber Auto foam... the best?
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

What I would like to know is how to get salt out of carpets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    Salt Stain Removal From Floor Mats - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve spent a considerable amount of time (and money) on anti-salt products. I`ve tried everything mentioned here as well as some additional boat products, and a few other products.

The best I tried was the Whips Wax - but I cannot source it anymore. In its stead I`ve been using "Salts Gone" which seems to work similarly although its not as "soapy" so it doesn`t stay on the panel or part as long before running off. But it definitely chelates the salt - in fact I`ve been using it this week on a car I just bought and drove home from Chicago to Boston and got stuck in a snowstorm.

As far as wash products - of the soaps and additives I`ve tried - Valugard Progard is the best. You do need to buy it in a 5 gallon pail though. I`m sure Boost wash additive is doing something, but I`ve been through three bottles of it and it seems very weak relative to the other products I`ve tried.

I plow with a mid-2000s Chevy Truck - great trucks mechanically but they will dissolve before your eyes if you let salt stay on them - so I`ve been super interested in finding the best solution.

For now - my products of choice are Salts Gone pre spray and then foam wash with Valugard Progard.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    Larry A.:
    Here`s my thread on the manual (by hand) method I use to clean salt-encrusted carpet floor mats and foot-well carpets:
    Cleaning Salt-Encrusted Carpet Floor Mats

One product I would suggest is Sprayway Salt Off for this very carpet cleaning task. I`ve used it, but I find it is no better than that the hot water-white vinegar solution at cleaning off salt. The BIG advantage is NO lingering vinegar smell embedded in the carpet! The disadvantage is the cost per application. The can`s plastic cap has a built-in brush of stiff plastic fingers that work pretty well at breaking up MINOR encrusted salt. It`s better than a wire brush that seem to catch carpet fibers or an old tooth brush which may not be stiff enough. Kudos to Sprayway for that addition!!
    Sprayway Salt Off
    GB detailer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information