Page 5 of 423 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181955105 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do detailing wise today?

I cleaned some glass on Sunday. I was using some MFT microfiber edgeless towels -- lots of lint on glass - so back to my waffle weaves for the final dry pass.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I`m with Pat. Nothing but think about my job on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

First, I`d like to say to TacoHerder...Nice "Extreme Makeover"! Excellent work!

Now on to "What did you do detailing wise today?"

Over last weekend I finally found my rear LLoyd Luxe rear floor mat for my truck.
    It was buried under a huge pile of junk in my garage. I`d like to blame the wife but...
    I was thrilled when I saw the corner of the mat & pulled it out from under the pile of junk.
    Then...to my dismay the black mat had huge two foot sections with bright orange stains.
    I tried cleaning, shampooing anything I could think of, nothing made a dent in the stains.

For those of you that know, Lloyd Luxe is the top of the line mats & this one wasn`t cheap.
    So what to do...a friend said "It just goes in the back seat use some black spray paint".
    That didn`t sound appealing so I started thinking...carpet dye, fabric dye...what can I use?

I wound up going to Wal-Mart looking for carpet dye...no luck...but I found Rit fabric dye.
    Wally World had it in powder and liquid form in every color but Black so..."The quest is on!"
    I went to my local grocery store & in the laundry soap section I found Black liquid Rit dye.

Now on to the fun stuff...Having the small bottle of black fabric dye in hand I headed home.
    The directions stated: Mix the liquid in the washing machine with the hottest water setting.
    I thought...Putting this heavy rug in the washing machine with black dye may not be good.
    For some reason I could see every load of laundry for the next two weeks coming out black.

I decided to use a saucepan on the stove and bring some water almost to a boiling point.
    I poured the hot water and some of the black dye into an empty plastic milk container.
    I shook it up to mix it all together. I then took the mat and placed it over my work bench.
    I lightly misted the mat with water then used a tire dressing sponge to apply the Rit dye.
    When I was done the entire mat was wet with Black Rit dye. I left it on the bench overnight.

It was completely black again!

I turned on a fan and had it blow on it all night long to help get the dye to dry correctly.
    The next day I took the mat and bench out into the yard and per directions hosed it off.
    I ran water on the mat full blast until all the black water stopped and only clear was left.
    Then I took the leaf blower and got down into the mat fiber and blew out all the water.
    I left it out in the sun all day to dry and it took hours for the mat to completely dry out.

The good new!

All the bright orange stains are gone! The mat is completely black and the fabric is soft!

Cost $3.59

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, clever thinking there. Some would have spent half the day with a steam cleaner and some good interior cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a winter prep on a Tundra that I OC`d several months back. My client shot me a text this morning to confirm if I would be coming today, he was concerned it was too cold because the high was 33. I told him I`d see him this afternoon. As the sun dropped below the tree line I was rinsing off the truck, everything froze!

I pulled it inside his garage, did the interior, and finished drying it off afterwards. No problemo.

On a side note, I need to invest in some neoprene gloves for washing when its cold out! Triple bagging latex gloves helps, but my hands still freeze!
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!! O man, I bet your hands were frozen stiff. I see detailing vids on youtube from companies in the UK. They use HOT water when washing, of course you`re not always around a hot water source.

Post Thanks / Like

And I still have more cars to do winter preps for over the next few weeks... I hope winter stays away for a little bit yet!
    Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

I hate winter... 50`s is too cold for me

Post Thanks / Like

Well then stay clear of Wisconsin.

I`m actually hoping for snow, then I can cancel all these frigid details and have fun driving sideways!
    Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got to wash my truck today.

However, when I went to get the soap I noticed the Optimum Car Wash bottle looked like this.

There are little white slivers but if you spread the soap between your fingers theyt seems to disappear although did not spend much time analyzing since I wanted to get the wash done before it was dark. I have a 3 yr bottle of Optimum wash and it was normal. I did a quick shake and it did not do much.

Oh well. I am sure Chris or David G. can explain it.

I also had a waffle weave that was "dead". It would not absorb anything so grabbed another one it worked fine. I soaked it in some APC and then tossed it in the other mf being washed today.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

quick coat of BF midnight sun spray wax.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

cleaned seams like everything

Post Thanks / Like

I did get to use the chenille mf mitts yesterday. It was nice. It glides smoothly across the paint.

It is a little bit smaller than other one I used previously so it does not get as heavy (loaded with soap) so easier to use plus it works better in recessed areas like grilles. I was using latex gloves so it did not spin on the hand as easily since it was a snugger fit which is usually a good thing.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Wash PB SSS
    Seal BF CS
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I worked on a few reviews today.

Page 5 of 423 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181955105 ... LastLast

Thread Information