NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do detailing wise today?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    What kind of tape do you use? My paperish tape doesnt stretch well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hello, Friend ! I hope you guys are all safe from this dang virus out there..

I use the green 3M masking tape that looks like this - https://www.autopia-carcare.com/3m-m...l#.Xqm0kSmpH3g
    All tape is so much paper, so you have to use it and learn how much you can pull on it going around things so there is just 1 smooth, tape line..

3M also makes this green tape in 1/4" and 1/8" sizes, and I sometimes use that to set the line perfectly around a rubber seal, etc., and then come back behind it with the 1/2" tape..

It helps to be able to do this in either direction left or right, with either hand, so you can go faster and not have to switch directions.. If you do it enough times, say hundreds of times, it gets way easier.
    Dan F
    Likes Coatings=crack, Scrapyard liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t done much of any kind of detailing in a few years so today I decided work on the truck. I bought it used a year and a half ago and only put a coat or two of wax on in that time. Since I have been off work and sitting around I decided to break out the GG 6" and some polish and work on it a little. I washed it a week ago but have not gone anywhere so I used up the BF rinseless wash and mixed it strong like QD strength to get the dust off. I then used some GG pre-wax cleaner(I can`t even see that they sell this stuff anymore). I first tried Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish on a finishing pad but didn`t cut enough. Tried it on Orange CCW pad but still wasn`t cutting enough so I had to break out the Meguiars Ultimate compound(I don`t have much to choose from and not buying anymore), on the orange pad and that seemed to do what I need it to do. I wasn`t going for perfection just wanted to get the majority of the micro scratches out and knock down some of the deeper ones. After the wipe down I then used a blue finishing pad(From CG through Amazon, think it is a LC pad, it is thick) with the Sonax PPF and finished off with a nice gloss. Cleaned that up with some GG QD, like the smell of that stuff. I put on a coat of Fk1000p. Now I never got pictures because the FK is still on it since it is only 60F in the garage and my arms and hands are tired from running the GG for better part of the day. I never really had planned on detailing this vehicle to that point since I got burned out on my Camaro but it did give me a chance to use up some product. Hopefully once I get the wax off and back it out of the garage it will look good or better, I don`t think I could have made it worse.
    Dean.
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just a wipe down today. I have been using the TW seal and shine. I got hold of their ceramic spray from a friend now if I decide to try it, do I need to polish off the seal and shine or can I just go over it. I also l have a layer of GG one step sealant and a coat of MEG`s ultimate under everything. Just been trying what I have around here with the virus and getting outside when I can.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a new garden hose to connect to the Pressure Washer. Our snow plow guy ripped the old one in half during one of his visits. His contract relieved him of any responsibility (and I should have taken it in the house anyway - my bad). Might be able to do my first wash of the season on Saturday; been too cold up here (Ottawa, Canada) to do anything yet...

Chris
    Likes Mary B, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So curiosity got the best of me when I was at the Autozone the other day browsing the car cleaning section. Picked up some Meguiar`s Hybrid Ceramic wax and seen their Iron Decon (D2002?) and figure the truck needed some love.

Holy smokes, why haven`t I used a decon product before!? I just though it was clean. It also cleared up most of the oxidation on the roof. Paint had never been this clean before!

(White is so hard to capture, but trust me it looks pretty darn good!)

Did 2 coats of the Hybrid Ceramic and did a quick mist of the Ceramic detailer. While I know it probably won`t last long I was somewhat impressed for something over the counter. It may be an 11 year old truck, but cleans up nice. It promptly rained the next night on the way to work and beading was pretty good. Kept alot of the road grime off, which was my primary goal. Should last me a couple months till I get my new TRD logos in and polish the whole truck. Plastic trim got a coat of 303 as well.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Stokdgs, Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Been dealing with coatings so long I forgot how good a wax looks.
    **My Merlin**

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Coleroad, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Got around to cleaning the inside of daily driver today, what a mess. Polish Angel Diver, Intimate & Snowcake did nicely. Would be better if Snowcake smelled like cake though.

The Adam`s Interior Detailer was kinda nice too...nice fresh scent.
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It’s not a Vette, Beemer, or Porsche but my DD beater. Even it deserves to stay clean and looking as nice as I can right now.

What’s the best way to clean up VRT smears and streaks? Got in too much of a hurry.

Likes Nizmo, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    Picked up a new garden hose to connect to the Pressure Washer. Our snow plow guy ripped the old one in half during one of his visits. His contract relieved him of any responsibility (and I should have taken it in the house anyway - my bad). Might be able to do my first wash of the season on Saturday; been too cold up here (Ottawa, Canada) to do anything yet...

Chris
    Well it rained Saturday overnight so I did the job yesterday (Sunday). Started at 1 PM with the interior and finished up with a coat of PA High Gloss at around 6:30 ish PM. Looks good to me!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Washed my microfibers yesterday. Being lazy cost me big on this one. I loathe washing them, because it takes forever to fold them one handed. So i had a open box i had been throwing them into in the garage for a good long while now. I`m pulling them out of the dryer, and they look like i had been cleaning the forest floor with them. I`m assuming debris blowing into the box when the garage door is open. The cost of being lazy just cost me big. That was most of my microfibers, including all my drying ones. Hindsight being a kick in the butt says washing and folding is no big deal after all. Just mad at myself.
    Making someone else happy, is one of the best feelings.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I received a new hose for the PW that I wanted to use as an extension as well as a MTM SGS28 and everything needed for my AR blue clean 390SS to convert it to standard accessories.

Right now it’s raining but this morning I got everything swapped and changed on my PW and did a foam bath and rinse off to check the fittings for leaks.

After one use I can see why everyone likes any type of PW gun with the swivel in it. Very nice and easy to get to areas for rinsing.

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just came in from doing a quick bucket wash with UWW+ . The pollen is starting to coat everything here. I might do a coat of Blackfire paint protect later.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Found just the right look:

Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGreen - Hope you guys are still safe and well..
    That tire look is Exactly what I try to get as well ! You did a great job !
    Now, you have to tell us what it was...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    TheMeanGreen - Hope you guys are still safe and well..
    That tire look is Exactly what I try to get as well ! You did a great job !
    Now, you have to tell us what it was...
    Dan F

Thanks Dan, we are safe, well, and have a lot to be thankful for. I hope the same for you as well. Regarding the tire, 303 Aerospace Protectant. Initial application was full strength, a couple of washes ago. Light scrub with a light cleaner takes care of the built up road debris, reapplication of 303 diluted 1:1, wait a few minutes and wipe off remaining residue. Long story short, I purposely stumbled upon it. The look may take some tweaking to achieve (0.75oz H2O to 1oz 303), I have only been driving the pictured vehicle (tire) once a week. Results may change if I was actually driving the vehicle every day.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 411 of 423 FirstFirst ... 311361397398399400401402403404405406407408409410411412413414415416417418419420421422423 LastLast

Thread Information