Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do detailing wise today?

I think I`m a gluten for punishment. Gonna do a single step and sealant on this

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs, RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    I think I`m a gluten for punishment. Gonna do a single step and sealant on thisSent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Done lotsa vans like that...enjoy the roof! Plus side is all pretty flat surfaces, 21mm machine will take care of that *relatively* quickly. Relatively being, well, relative.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Done lotsa vans like that...enjoy the roof! Plus side is all pretty flat surfaces, 21mm machine will take care of that *relatively* quickly. Relatively being, well, relative.
    Roof ain`t bad at all with this baby

Likes SWETM, Diner, Stokdgs, tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Roof ain`t bad at all with this baby

Hmmm...kinda beats my DIY `pallet with 2x4 railings` raised with a towmoter setup.

Well done. Even with my big, lanky, monkey arms still hard to reach middle of the roof sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Hmmm...kinda beats my DIY `pallet with 2x4 railings` raised with a towmoter setup.

Well done. Even with my big, lanky, monkey arms still hard to reach middle of the roof sometimes.
    Just touching the otherside of center

And it was like 150$ at menards
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just touching the otherside of center

And it was like 150$ at menards
    That`s a lot of real estate What did you do detailing wise today?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Had some left over bottle caps so decided to test some left over coatings to see if they crystallize and how much product is left over once they do.

One thing I noticed so far is DLUX turned into a gel in about 20 mins as it’s hardening.

Cquartz Leather started to gel up in less than 5 mins.

Not pictured is Gyeon Leather Shield

So had to go back to square one and repeat this experiment. It was a bit flawed. I made the mistake of not pulling the little white seal from the cap. That caused it to absorb the coating and not behave as expected with the solvents evaporating. So I pulled them all out and started fresh and now I am seeing some more expected behavior.

Write up will soon follow once I get all my thoughts down.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1, RaydiantDetail, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Finished this Jag and lightly detailed a Ferrari. The Jag and classic Bentley will be at the McCormick’s show tomorrow. I’ll have more pics of the Jag and Bentley at the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "I can shine your car if you don`t shine me on" -Mr. $lick
    Likes Diner, RaydiantDetail, Tc99m, SWETM liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing wise - Yesterday - Sorry Im late..
    My ClearBra Shop Owner Friend asked me to come down to correct the paint on a brand new 2018 Tesla Model S Silver Metallic, prior to coating with Optimum Pro..
    The paint looked 90% scratch free nicer than the Red Multicoat Model S, I corrected recently for him..

There were a lot of little defects here and there, where people stained the paintwork with something, little scratches, I even found where the painter or robot painter left a thin line of paint where it stopped just inside some door opening jambs.. It was like the door jamb was taped with the tape in front and not back-taped, where the tape is facing the opposite direction and then pulled over, so you don`t leave a definite line when the paint hits the tape and leaves a build up there for only the Detailed eyes to see..

The Owner was out of state so he had his guy go all around this car with his phone camera and take pictures of all the panels, especially where he found defects..

I used Optimum Pro Primer Polish with 5" Lake Country Tangerine Hydro-Shreds and my Makita.. This Pro Primer polish is a very fine grit, but with this pad combo and direct drive with all the downward pressure I need to use, it made short work of cleaning the paint, removing what looked like a light haze over it, and it started turning out my usual, rolling, clear, mirror, quality work..

Tesla cars like this are really low and have panels that go really low as well.. One has to get as low as possible to do the lowest part of the sides, as there is a body line that runs low along the side and it kind of covers the panel below it.. What I mean is that you cannot really see much of the lower part of the door panel because of the body line right above it that sticks out a little ways and blocks your vision of it while standing in front of it..

So, when I got to the Driver Side Passenger door, and I was kneeling down and looking lower at it, first thing I noticed - a ding right at the door edge on the door jamb side. Ugh!!
    Called the guy from the shop - "did you see this?" "Take pictures of it now please"..

When I then finished that little area of the adjacent fender behind the door edge and moved lights, machine, etc., over the passenger door itself - my heart sank...

Now I am looking at a long slight crease in that lower portion of that door, and if you draw a straight line past it, it lines up with that ding in the edge of the door opening jamb..
    More pictures please...

He went to call the Boss, l I kept waiting and finally figured it must be handled so I completed the work..

I did look at this damage very carefully and closely, and concluded that the paintwork was absolutely PERFECT in the crease made in the door, and in the deeper ding on the edge of the door opening jamb.. There were no paint scratches anywhere to be found that would indicate something hard hit the door after painting it, no paint cracking, tiny shavings missing, not ONE evidence of damage after the car was painted..

So have to believe this damaged door and door jamb - (which unfortunately, is part of the body), were damaged before Tesla painted the vehicle!!! I can`t believe it !!!
    What is even harder to understand is how this damaged door and door jamb ding, passed through all these people without anyone seeing it and pointing out, so it could be repaired before selling this car to someone..

But I can say this - because of the way the car is built and the panels all go so low, it is very possible that the sharp, out, body line above this area would kind of block your vision, unless the car was above you, like on a lift, or you physically, got down that low in front of it with good lighting to see it, if you were inside...

So, the poor Owner of the shop now has to go to the people and tell them they somehow did not see this major defect in the body when he inspected it down there with his camera phone, and now what do you about the Optimum Pro Coating???

I guess they will forego the Coating, go all the way back to San Francisco with the dang car and deal with Tesla again.. They very guys that told him when he went back to them the first time with that Red one (that was full of scratches that I corrected earlier), and they told him - " We build the Best Electric Car in the World; we don`t really care much about the paintwork"... Yes, they really told him that... And that Tesla dealer did not do anything to fix the car paintwork...
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Detailing wise - Yesterday - Sorry Im late..
    My ClearBra Shop Owner Friend asked me to come down to correct the paint on a brand new 2018 Tesla Model S Silver Metallic, prior to coating with Optimum Pro..
    The paint looked 90% scratch free nicer than the Red Multicoat Model S, I corrected recently for him..

There were a lot of little defects here and there, where people stained the paintwork with something, little scratches, I even found where the painter or robot painter left a thin line of paint where it stopped just inside some door opening jambs.. It was like the door jamb was taped with the tape in front and not back-taped, where the tape is facing the opposite direction and then pulled over, so you don`t leave a definite line when the paint hits the tape and leaves a build up there for only the Detailed eyes to see..

The Owner was out of state so he had his guy go all around this car with his phone camera and take pictures of all the panels, especially where he found defects..

I used Optimum Pro Primer Polish with 5" Lake Country Tangerine Hydro-Shreds and my Makita.. This Pro Primer polish is a very fine grit, but with this pad combo and direct drive with all the downward pressure I need to use, it made short work of cleaning the paint, removing what looked like a light haze over it, and it started turning out my usual, rolling, clear, mirror, quality work..

Tesla cars like this are really low and have panels that go really low as well.. One has to get as low as possible to do the lowest part of the sides, as there is a body line that runs low along the side and it kind of covers the panel below it.. What I mean is that you cannot really see much of the lower part of the door panel because of the body line right above it that sticks out a little ways and blocks your vision of it while standing in front of it..

So, when I got to the Driver Side Passenger door, and I was kneeling down and looking lower at it, first thing I noticed - a ding right at the door edge on the door jamb side. Ugh!!
    Called the guy from the shop - "did you see this?" "Take pictures of it now please"..

When I then finished that little area of the adjacent fender behind the door edge and moved lights, machine, etc., over the passenger door itself - my heart sank...

Now I am looking at a long slight crease in that lower portion of that door, and if you draw a straight line past it, it lines up with that ding in the edge of the door opening jamb..
    More pictures please...

He went to call the Boss, l I kept waiting and finally figured it must be handled so I completed the work..

I did look at this damage very carefully and closely, and concluded that the paintwork was absolutely PERFECT in the crease made in the door, and in the deeper ding on the edge of the door opening jamb.. There were no paint scratches anywhere to be found that would indicate something hard hit the door after painting it, no paint cracking, tiny shavings missing, not ONE evidence of damage after the car was painted..

So have to believe this damaged door and door jamb - (which unfortunately, is part of the body), were damaged before Tesla painted the vehicle!!! I can`t believe it !!!
    What is even harder to understand is how this damaged door and door jamb ding, passed through all these people without anyone seeing it and pointing out, so it could be repaired before selling this car to someone..

But I can say this - because of the way the car is built and the panels all go so low, it is very possible that the sharp, out, body line above this area would kind of block your vision, unless the car was above you, like on a lift, or you physically, got down that low in front of it with good lighting to see it, if you were inside...

So, the poor Owner of the shop now has to go to the people and tell them they somehow did not see this major defect in the body when he inspected it down there with his camera phone, and now what do you about the Optimum Pro Coating???

I guess they will forego the Coating, go all the way back to San Francisco with the dang car and deal with Tesla again.. They very guys that told him when he went back to them the first time with that Red one (that was full of scratches that I corrected earlier), and they told him - " We build the Best Electric Car in the World; we don`t really care much about the paintwork"... Yes, they really told him that... And that Tesla dealer did not do anything to fix the car paintwork...
    DanF
    I bet your work made it look 1000x better.
    That`s terrible about the panel. I`m shocked that the Tesla rep said that about the red Teslas paint. If someone is buying a brand new car at that price or well any price, you don`t expect defects like that. Sounds like some bad QA on Teslas part if it left the factory like that.

Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

2017 Ford Mustang GT - A Miracle Detailing - CQuartz Professional

Machines
    Rupes 21 MKII, and iBrid nano
    Correction
    Megs MF cutting disc, Scholl S3
    Finishing
    Carpro Gloss Pad, Carpro Essence.

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

RaydiantDetail ------------------

Thanks for your kind words !
    Yes, it looks a lot, lot, better now, - except for that damage to the lower passenger side door..
    I don`t know how it works in Atlanta, but here in Northern California, for years now, since Tesla started producing vehicles, there have been a LOT of paint scratched, etc., vehicles that were sold to Clients... And Tesla has not been really wanting to do much to change that..
    There is a great Detailer on here, that works close to the Bay Area, where the probably all the Tesla cars come from, and he has probably paint corrected a few hundred of them or more already..

The Clients I have seen who purchase Tesla cars are usually not worried about the price, and they do like the $10K rebate from the the government.. And I guess, they don`t care if their home electric bills go way, way, higher than ever because you charge up the car/s every night...

And now the range is up to what - 335 miles??? Pretty impressive, since no one else making electric vehicles is even close..

The other side of all this electric car thing - how much more fossil fuel, etc., other forms of fuel is it going to take and cost, to keep charging all these electric cars forever???
    How is that good for the environment??? How is that affecting the Power Grid of the US???
    How much more coal is going to have to be burned to just keep charging the batteries of more and more electric cars ???

I cannot help but notice how we introduce all these "energy" saving" (?) things but fail to figure out what is the ultimate cost to the environment, to have them....
    Dan F
    Likes RaydiantDetail, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All I know is they can keep buying them and we in oil/gas/coal will keep on supplying

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    RaydiantDetail ------------------

And I guess, they don`t care if their home electric bills go way, way, higher than ever because you charge up the car/s every night...

And now the range is up to what - 335 miles??? Pretty impressive, since no one else making electric vehicles is even close..

The other side of all this electric car thing - how much more fossil fuel, etc., other forms of fuel is it going to take and cost, to keep charging all these electric cars forever???
    How is that good for the environment??? How is that affecting the Power Grid of the US???
    How much more coal is going to have to be burned to just keep charging the batteries of more and more electric cars ???

I cannot help but notice how we introduce all these "energy" saving" (?) things but fail to figure out what is the ultimate cost to the environment, to have them....
    Dan F
    We have two electric cars. My power bill went up $30 or so dollars. It`s 1/3 or less of what you pay for gas in a similar car.

And power plants have excess capacity they want to sell during night hours. Peak demand is mid afternoon to before most people go to bed. In fact there are quite a few smart power companies giving rebates for electric cars because they know in the end they will make more money as the cars charge overnight.

I love electric:

1. Tire melting torque and zero lag
    2. Almost zero maintenance required, just consumables
    3. 1/3 the price for "fuel"
    4. Zero money sent to the middle east
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rant ON:

For all:

What about the environmental impact that the vehicle manufacture creates when they build the car? Or the batteries, or interior plastics that are comprised of petroleum? What about the environmental impact that all the parts suppliers create? What happens when a family member 600 miles away falls ill and the only way to get there is by driving and it`s the holidays, so all the combustion-engined rental cars are booked? What if the excess capacity that the power plant has is actual plant capacity and not energy stored in reserve batteries that can be released back into the grid? What if that excess capacity is actually the plant running at 40% capacity and the plant wants to run 50% capacity to up keep demand and be slightly more efficient? How is that extra 10% of capacity of increased energy produced, is it by fossil fuels or renewable and sustainable energy like solar, wind, or hydroelectric? If that 10% higher capacity that the power plant produces is via fossil fuel, there is no way on this green earth that a couple hundred EV`s (in ones area of living) will offset the carbon footprint that the 10% extra plant capacity produces. With the US electrical grid in its current form of not keeping reserve energy (on average) and with producing energy by way of fossil fuels, every time a person turns on their kitchen light, a power plant within a XXX miles radius must increase its output to meet the higher demand that that single kitchen lightbulb has created (doesn`t matter whether it is incandescent or LED). Thus increasing the plants own native power consumption and presumably adding to its carbon footprint. As long as the US grid is producing energy on fossil fuels and not storing reserve energy, it doesn`t matter how many electric cars will be sold because the cars will still not be able to counteract the carbon foot print that power plants upstream or downstream are creating. However, it is much easier to control the people than it is to control corporations, especially big ones, forget trying to control governments, of course unless the governed people unite.

As far as fueling is concerned, gasoline and diesel are the most energy dense forms of fuel per unit volume, diesel more-so than gasoline. There is some very promising technology on the horizon, that should keep the Internal Combustion Engine around, however its shape will change. It is really such a shame that diesel has gotten a bad rap, because it is truly a fuel of the future. Diesels are so much more efficient and when combined in a hybrid system, my goodness the MPG. Check out BMW`s european Diesel-Hybrid concepts, 60+mpg. As automakers continue to strive to meet Fuel Economy and emissions standards, they will realize that they will only be able to go so far before their efforts are deemed too expensive; the efforts should be made in aerodynamics, and lighter weight vehicles, and evolving the ICE with new technology. The biggest downside to batteries is that every time a battery goes through a discharge/recharge cycle, it`s capacity is diminished. Yes there technologies that make the batteries better, but they still loose their capacity every time they are discharged/recharged. The ICE will always have its place because there is simply nothing that can replicate it, and there is no other fuel as energy dense per unit volume that is capable of supporting such a small application as a passenger vehicle, yet. In the auto industry, we are in a transition period where the push is for all electric, but that will come at a cost, especially in the US as we simply do not have the infrastructure to support millions of electric vehicles that will hopefully be on the road by 202X. As the infrastructure currently stands, I don`t see how it will be possible to support that many vehicles without turning the power plants to renewable sources of energy. The people want electric vehicles, but what happens when the EV`s cannot be sold because the infrastructure cannot support them? The automakers will begin to go towards red then the people will want ICE vehicles, starting the cycle over.

There are so many more topics that I`d like to rant about, relating to EV`s and cars. However, I think this diatribe is enough.

Rant: OFF.

Page 381 of 423 FirstFirst ... 281331367368369370371372373374375376377378379380381382383384385386387388389390391392393394395 ... LastLast

Thread Information