Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang Calif has HARD Water & on a black car it is a nightmare.

Even using a good wash like P21S and doing a panal at a time still leaves some water spots.

What is the best way to remove them from the paint, glass & plastic.

I heard some people use vinegar? If so what kind and what is the mixture & procedure.

Man water spots suck!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    when I have water spots that nothing else seems to cure then I dump half the bottle of vinegar in the bucket. Probably 16 oz or so. Vinegar is pretty cheap and the more the better. If you are going to use vinegar to take it off then use as much as it takes. Maybe start with a little and if you don`t see it working then add some more. I haven`t had to battle with water spots since I got Klasse but I would imagine that AIO would take them off too.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use white vinegar straight out of the bottle. Simply put it on the spot, let it sit for a little bit (1 minute or 2) and then wipe off.

The vinegar will remove any wax or sealant on the car, so when done re-wax or re-seal. :xyxthumbs
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been told that too much vinegar can weaken the sealant you have on your car . . . I assume you are speaking about the waterspots that get on your car after a wash and can be removed easily by doing a QD right after washing . . . Look in the tips and tricks forum for an archived thread on the best wash/dry method.

You can also add a couple of ounces to the wash bucket and it should help some with waterspots but I don`t do that anymore now that I know it could possibly be slowly attacking my Klasse.

QD after a wash! Great thing to do and just takes a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick drying is what i do, in calif the water is so hard & the weather is so dry and warm it doesn`t matter how fast you dry it. Spots are everywhere. And This is in the shade.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I have been told that too much vinegar can weaken the sealant you have on your car . . . [/b]</blockquote>
    Were you told that by someone that was trying to sell you a system for water spot removal? I use small bottles anyway. And I use a big bucket. I wouldn`t ever suggest using too much of something. Just keep on adding it until the spots start to come off I guess.

I had a friend with a base line Lexus. One step above a Toyota. Anyway, he left it parked next to the automatic sprinklers in his apartment complex last summer. He came out one morning and there was water all over his car. The fool didn`t even dry them off. He just drove it around for a couple weeks in the hot hot summer sun and let those spots just get etched into his car. I didn`t have Klasse just yet so I tried every product Meguiar`s makes to get em off and nothing worked. Finally I just dumped a bottle of Vinegar in a bucket with Dawn and rewashed. Presto! I wish I would have tried that first before I wasted 10 bucks worth of Meguiar`s products. Ya know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Full strength or even a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water WILL remove wax and weaken sealants due to it`s alkline content. Usually 5% acid.

Even if it`s mixed with a large amount of water (like a 5 gallon bucket) it still has some acid content, therefore it WILL remove a some of your wax or sealant.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought that it removed all the wax and sealant. Hmmm... So you could wash with vinegar and just take off water spots and it wouldn`t remove all the Klasse or something? Thats good to know.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quickie!

Are you using the No Nosel method [where u unscrew

nosel and let stream of water lay over the surface]

to rinse just before drying?

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by rd_volvo [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Quickie!

Are you using the No Nosel method [where u unscrew
    nosel and let stream of water lay over the surface]
    to rinse just before drying? [/b]</blockquote>Yes, most people here use that method.

Post Thanks / Like
    First time on the forum, been reading it for about a year now.

Just want to say thanks for all the help you guys have given me as far as detailing goes!!:xyxthumbs

Just wanted to add my two cents. I dry my cars immediately after rinsing it, (Of course, everyone does!:p ) But, I have a spray bottle of water handy to mist the car panels that dry out before

I have a chance to get to them. Then, I wipe it dry. I use 100% terry cloth towels. Haven`t tried the MF towels yet. Could someone recommend a good brand? I, too, live in SoCal and dread the Cal water.

Keepin` em clean!

My hats off to you, everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a black Nissan Maxima and the way I fight water spot is to install a water softner for the house. It was very god investment for me because its not only good for the car, it also makes doing laundry better. This is if you own a house. The Softner cost about $600 for a family of 4 puls the cost of salt.

So, far it worked great. I had very little if any water spot on my car.

Post Thanks / Like

SoCal members - sending positive wishes

To all the SoCal members affected by the flooding, mudslides and such, I want to send my best wishes your way and hope no harm has come to you or your families. I know one member has already had flooding in her appt (DetailChick).

Harry
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes indeed, to all our members in the SoCal area to be safe and hope you all are well with your family and friends.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    To all the SoCal members affected by the flooding, mudslides and such, I want to send my best wishes your way and hope no harm has come to you or your families. I know one member has already had flooding in her appt (DetailChick).

Harry
    +1

I`m sorry to hear about DC, let us know if there is anything we can do!

Todd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information