View Poll Results: Other than polishing, what do you spend the most time on?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Washing

14 29.17%
  • Waxing / Sealing

7 14.58%
  • Interiors

16 33.33%
  • Undercarriage

1 2.08%
  • Wheels/Tires

9 18.75%
  • Engine bay

1 2.08%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    An 86 Ford Crown Vic LTD Wagon...doesn`t run...sat in the driveway for about a year...dry rot oval tires...not paid for yet...so i guess i don`t own a first car...oh well, not owning a stationwagon is a big loss .

The only good thing is it`s a 5.0L V8 EFI...but i guess a land yacht needs a descent engine to get anywhere.

Edit: too tired...can`t type right

Post Thanks / Like
    My first car was a 1989 Alfa Romeo Milano Gold. I still have the car actually... it has since been converted to a dedicated race car with a full blown suspension, brake, & engine overhaul. I LOVE that car! It will always be in the family... it`s not going anywhere!

Pictures of it are on my webpage http://www.fastalfas.com
    -Chip

2002 Subaru WRX (World Rally Blue Pearl), 1989 Alfa Romeo Milano (Black)

http://www.fastalfas.com

Post Thanks / Like
    An 82 Ford Crown Victoria - an old cop car - with a supercharged 5.7 liter engine (the 351 Windsor engine, for Ford fans).

The car was the greatest - still had the siren installed, and everywhere I went, people slowed down around me (not exactly a great undercover cop car). That car also would NOT die - too bad Ford doesn`t make them like they used to. I once pierced the radiator hose and lost all the water on the highway - but managed to drive for at least 5-10 miles and got off at my normal exit, when the car eventually overheated.

Did everything to that car myself - oil changes, brake pads, head gaskets - nothing like a cheap car to liberate you from a mechanic. Wouldn`t dare try that on any of my current cars, for fear of a big mechanics bill.

Funny - that car cost almost nothing, yet I almost cried like a baby when I had to hand it over (gas costs were just too high for a college guy living in the city). How many clunkers did I have afterwards that made me reminisce.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Jngrbrdman [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Datsun 240 Z. Damn I miss that car. Stupid dad traded it for a station wagon. Oh well. The first car I ever bought and paid for myself was a 1994 Ford Probe. [/b]</blockquote>
    That`s a bummer. I bet you`d be willing to pay a lot to have that car back. My dad owned an auto wrecking yard when I was growing up and he was going to put together my first car for me. I had a choice between a Fiat, 240Z, or Supra. These 3 were the only cars in his lot that actually had a chance at being rebuilt. The Fiat and the Z didn`t work out, so I was left with my 3rd choice, the 1980 Supra.

Post Thanks / Like
    1986 chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 (the small style). It had a 6 engine and an auto tranny. It had BRIGHT RED single stage paint. Back in those days I used dupont #7 polish and NU FINISH on it, and it shined like crazy! They don`t paint cars like they used to......LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a roachy motorcycle called a JAWA. Traded it for a Yamaha 305 -- fastest thing off the line in 1966.

By `68, I had a `65 T-Bird -- what a boat. It was so slow and heavy, it couldn`t get out of its own way, but it had nice lines in a square sort of way.

My favorite kid car was the Olds Toronado -- think it was a `69 -- that baby flew.

HAHAHA.

E

Post Thanks / Like
    My first car was a `89 Silver Ford Taurus in 1999. It was my mom`s old car that she thought would die anyday. It lasted 3 weeks until I learned that the tranny was cooked, and the front axles were shot. Got $1,500 for it when we traded it in (my dad was hoping for $500). Best part was that I got to drive my dad`s 325ic to school for a couple weeks, what a chick magnet!!! :p
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    My first car was a 1978 Pontiac Sunbird that I got in 1986. It was my dads old car and I drove it for about 6 months until I had saved enough money to by something else. Once I got the money I bought a 1978 Camaro. It was really worn when I got it. It was Black and had Chrome Crager SS rims. It turned into a family project. We got it repainted, had the seats redone, searched many junk yards for new interior pieces. But the best part was when we yanked the 6 cyl and put in a 350 V8. It was a 4 bolt main with a big cam, headers, etc. A friend of our neighbors built the engine in my parents garage on weekends, he estimated that it put out somewhere between 350 and 400 HP. That is the one car I would love to have back. I ended up having to get rid of it back in 1994 because I could not afford gas anymore. 8-10 MPG and required super unleaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    1971 black Monte Carlo - 350. I wish I still had that car.

Post Thanks / Like
    A Burgundy 1983 VW Rabbit L...went 176K before I gave it away. I wish I had pics of it...my early detailing days.

Post Thanks / Like
    1979 Dodge Duster Coupe, had yellowish\tan paint, with the bottom quarter a dark brown....ugly as hell! Slant 6 that ran forever.....Dad bought it for $950, and sold it 6 years later for $50 for parts.....great car!! I learned to detail on the duster....probably the best looking duster around! Even had a kick *** stereo in it, with Alpine H/U, MTX 10" sub, 2 amps, etc! Ahhh....the good old days!!

Post Thanks / Like
    In 1987 I got a 1966 VW beetle convertible, guards red, black top, restored (amateur) 6 volt electrical system, with the am radio still working, big chrome overrider bumpers, 1300 cc engine, I could go on and on. Loved to "street surf " On that car. All the girls wanted to ride in it, I hydroplaned 9 months later, and t boned a telephone pole, smacked the windshield, 100+ stitches in face and head, car upside down and almost in half, and still running! Damn, I miss that car!!!! I hope the New Beetle convertible will eventually get a more powerful engine, than the 150 hp one they say they are going to put in it. Maybe I will resort to my youth/mid life crisis a little early, and get one! All the country boys at the plant would give me hell though.

Post Thanks / Like
    A 1969 Plymouth Valiant with the unstoppable slant 6. I swear that thing would run under water (trust me, I know). I had more money in the stereo than the rest of the car.

Nothing like going on a date with an Armour-All-covered vinyl bench seat... "Hold on honey, I`m gonna take this right turn pretty hard."
    "I have not failed. I`ve just found 10,000 ways that won`t work."

- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mid-to-late 60`s (`68, I believe......no, not to old to remember....I just forgot) Ford Fairlane 500, 2-dr, 289 motor. Tank, yes, and indestructable. Many, many miles to and from the Jersey shore. Gave it to my brother, who later sold it to a friend.......just about everything on it stopped working except for the motor. Might still be going for all I know:up

ernie

Post Thanks / Like
    a 1989 Nissan Sentra Hatchwagon. A made a big joke out of it, threw on a mustang 5.0 tip and a bunch of windshield stickers saying "Chuck Norris Racing". That car maxed out at 95. Now thats one big piece of garbage.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information