Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clear Film

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen good results with a 3m Product called Venture Shield.

It has a very shiny finish, is thinner than the normal stuff out there, has a Lifetime warranty and works very well for protecting the front end of my Grand Cherokee.

It will scratch like anything else, and it polishes up really nice with any of the finer polishes and a fine pad. I have used a random orbital on mine a few times and it has never hurt it.

I like mine because the edge doesnt seem to be so noticeable - probably because the product is a little thinner than other clear bra products.

I think that the clear bra technology has improved over the first versions, and mine is a good example of that in my opinion.

Good luck finding what you need,

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Clear film

I have been able to get film to pop pretty good, here are a few examples....

This Bentley is wrapped entirely in film.

Last one, this recent correction. The entire front end is wrapped, so if polished right you can get very nice optics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have seen good results with a 3m Product called Venture Shield.

It has a very shiny finish, is thinner than the normal stuff out there, has a Lifetime warranty and works very well for protecting the front end of my Grand Cherokee.

It will scratch like anything else, and it polishes up really nice with any of the finer polishes and a fine pad. I have used a random orbital on mine a few times and it has never hurt it.

I like mine because the edge doesnt seem to be so noticeable - probably because the product is a little thinner than other clear bra products.

I think that the clear bra technology has improved over the first versions, and mine is a good example of that in my opinion.

Good luck finding what you need,

Dan F
    Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    I have been able to get film to pop pretty good, here are a few examples....

This Bentley is wrapped entirely in film.

Last one, this recent correction. The entire front end is wrapped, so if polished right you can get very nice optics.

WOW, those look good. Do you have any idea what brands look best initially and hold up best? They all look great to me in the pictures you attached-Thanks. What products do you use to restore and maintain clear film.

I am contemplatinng wraping some or all of the new car to avoid the stone chips that have plagued my previous car.

The last time I had a bra, it was on an 1985 300ZX and it was a black vinyl contraption and full of Armorall. Wonder if I can dig up an old picture!X_X

What does the lifetime warranty cover? (I am sure it can`t be road rash abrasion right??)

Have a great day and thanks for sharing your expertise.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I work with Premier here in Norcal often I can say that they warranty the workmanship on the labor, but the film does have a few issues if you do not maintain it constantly.

Tree sap and bug etching can ruin the film if left on to set, also bird droppings can be a problem if not attented to right away even if a quality sealant is applied.

Scratches can be very hard to correct as opposed to working on a painted finish, the film I work on is Venture shield 9 times out of 10, but did a Porsche recently with the X-Pel and it looked nice as well.

Film respondes better to DA polishing instead of rotary at slower speeds, the products used is a personal choice to see what nets the best results such as Megs/Menz/Optimum/etc....

Who installs the film is just as if not more important than the film choice you ultimately decide on, good luck in finding the right installer in your area. As a side note all my personal vehicles have had clear film since 2005.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d have to agree with Bill on this one. Film will never look as good as the paint and it`s a PITA to work with too. It does keep your paint from being chipped up, but the film itself will become pitted over time and look like crap IMO.

If you do decide to get the film I`d suggest doing the whole panel and having the edges wrapped. Nothing worse than seeing all the cut lines full of dirt or wax. It will also make working on the film a lot easier.

The film on this car was trashed and all it was also pieced all over the car which made correction a PITA. It came out looking pretty good but it`s still not as nice as the paint.

3M 1/8" fine line tape is key for when you do have to work on the film. Sealing with something like Opti-Seal is also nice as you don`t have to worry about getting any in the edges.

Rasky
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post

Rasky
    PLEASE NOTE: The area directly behind the headlight, the reflection. My point is that, even when new, almost all films have "orange peel", which will make them look different from the paint. Not as shiny.

IMO, no matter how hard you work on film, you`ll never get the film to look like paint.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use this stuff! Works great; looks great!

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information