Post Thanks / Like
    Are any of you worried about breathing or touching or these chemicals?..Do you all where gloves and masks...???Do you have excellent Ventallation????

thks

jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Read the labels!

If the product has warnings, follow them.

There is list of some of the components used in many car care products under the Tech Tips Section at www.autoint.com

A couple that are of concern and found in many products are Xylene, a clorinated solvent, carcenigenic and toxic. Found in many prep sol type cleaners, glue removers etc.

Another is crystiline silica, found in many compounds and polishes. A carcenigenic.

Butyl Cellosolve components are toxic and according to the EPA and other goverment agencies, a suspected carcenigenic.

There are many, but most boutique and small chemical suppliers, manufacturers do not list the federal CAS# on the labels, nor are MSDS`s for the products readily availalble.

So, read the label, if you have doubts contact the supplier or manufacturer and demand a MSDS.

By law, they must provide it to you in a timely manner.

Ketch
    :up
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wear safety glasses for anything that sprays into my eyes, I have cool oakley ones and just really want to look cool, don`t care about eye protection really with just washing my car

I tend to refrain from particularly breathing in stuff (mainly mist or anything you can see), but I mainly detail outside too.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like

Geasy Al valve covers on SUV

OK, read the threads again about engine bay cleaning. Have a FORD 5.4L engine with Aluminum covers and light grease/gunk (3yo, never really touched). Just did the rest of the bay today - no pics (bad person I know), but I tried APC+ at 4:1 and ZEP orange degreaser with little change. Should I give Purple Power a shot, or more likely need the GUNK in a can to get this cleaned up?

Note: I have no idea if the factory puts a clear coating on the engine or not, but it seems to be bare metal with a possible coating since the Al is not bad looking at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Harry,
    I have now detailed 2 engine bays with just Purple Power at full strength and no water. I don`t know if your engine bay is much different, but I would bet that the PP would do the same for you. My engine bays look great after spraying on the PP, letting it dwell and scrub with a wheel brush and an old MF, then dressing with CD2.

Nice thing about PP is the price. You can`t beat the $3.00 for the bottle.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic of the engine bay that I did on a 2007 Audi Q7 using the PP and CD2.
    http://
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Barry, that makes me sick how nice that looks. I`ll get a shot or two in the morning sun of what I`m up against. Might even try my OPC just for kicks as I forgot about it being on the shelf (go to straighten out those shelves and clean up the garage..:banghead:

Post Thanks / Like
    See if Picassa will cooperate this morning (pics taken about 10 minutes ago)

http://picasaweb.google.com/11034148...41573/20101010

Tried OPC as well just now and didn`t phase it at all

Edit: One more thing - it`s a real biach to reach in there behind the intake area, so I see I missed some things. Valve covers aren`t a cake to reach either

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    See if Picassa will cooperate this morning (pics taken about 10 minutes ago)

http://picasaweb.google.com/11034148...41573/20101010

Tried OPC as well just now and didn`t phase it at all

Edit: One more thing - it`s a real biach to reach in there behind the intake area, so I see I missed some things. Valve covers aren`t a cake to reach either
    Harry,
    For those tough to reach areas, try a wheel brush. The top part of the engine bay look great. For those really grimmy areas try a stronger product, and a brush.
    You are on your way my friend!!:thumbup:
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using a wheel detailing brush http://www.properautocare.com/nookcranwhee.html
    to reach those areas already, just no luck on cutting that crud Barry :StarWars:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a very sensitive area on many cars. I would recommend spraying straight APC on the area thyen getting a 1/2" foam paint brush to aggitate the area. As for rinsing... You might just wanna get a quart bottle of water w/sprayer and use that as a rinsing agent. I have an old fire extingusher that I fill with water then ad air pressure under these type of circumstances. It really looks good so far Harry :ar!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Flash and Barry.. might just let part of it go as I don`t thing straight APC+ will do anything (will try it after I finish the other car - been doing engine bay cleaning :hurray

I do have an air compressor to get excess moisture out (like I just did on the Sable).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    Thanks Flash and Barry.. might just let part of it go as I don`t thing straight APC+ will do anything (will try it after I finish the other car - been doing engine bay cleaning :hurray

I do have an air compressor to get excess moisture out (like I just did on the Sable).
    You could always just dip gasoline on a foam brush and wipe. Just make sure the engine is cold :-B

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a write up by Todd on engine cleaning : http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1150
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    News update - Grungy ignores cold engine warning and becomes the real Flash (NOT!) I`ll give it a go with some gas and I did read Todd`s writeup before Angelo. Wish I could spend the coin for some more products but it is hard to spend the :money: when I have bills to pay :ar!

Thread Information