Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perspective

Wow, I always thought the stuff on the underbody was really durable. All of it is still black and has very little rust, Good Job :up . Do you guys sell that finishing wax (AutoInt)?

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by AlBoston [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>This is after 3 coats of SG. I posted this before... [/b]</blockquote>
    I really like that picture because of where the light is. If there were any swirls on that car you would be able to see em. That is the very most unforgiving angle to take a picture at but your hood passes with flying colors. I really like that shot. :up :up

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    It is very hard to tell from pictures since they tend to hide stuff ecspecially digital ones.

Which one do you like better?

Post Thanks / Like
    The ONLY way to tell is to put BOTH products on the car, side by side on a flat panel - then look at them. You simply cannot draw any conclusions from two separate photos - lighting conditions change CONSTANTLY.

I wish more people would do this. Nobody else will notice - the differences will be subtle. If you don`t like it, polish it off and reapply your favorite goo. How long will it take you to do this to a half panel?

If more people did this, we`d have much more scientific data to back up our myriad opinions. Plus, if you leave it on for even a few days you can begind to draw conclusions about "dust rejection", or for a few washes about "longevity".

Please EVERYONE! Do side by side tests!

P.S. GuessMyName - photos DO tend to hide flaws, unless you go out of your way to photograph them instead of the reflections. But digital cameras aren`t worse in any way at this. After all, even if you shot with 35mm, you had to scan the picture to get it up here on the web site - so it IS digital. In a digital camera, the camera just does the scanning in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carguy could you write a post on how to take good pictures...I mean yours have to be some of the best I have seen and I would love to learn your techniques and what not...I am photo skills lacking and desire to improve.

Please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Carguy is right on! Comparing different cars is not the best way to see which product shines more or gives a darker appearance. You need to use both products on the same vehicle on one particular panel.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    well hands down the durability will be better with the Klasse (even the AIO only) The other part is subjective, in your honest opinion looking at your car (noticing how it is after washing, QDing etc), how does it "feel" to you. It may be psychological but you`re the one noticing anyways. So take a good look at it, consider how it used to be and maybe you`ll have an answer to which is better. I think if you do another work in of AIO it`ll look even better too, BTW.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like

Perspective

I am totally humbled by the work that I see posted on the board by the Pro`s like Dave from Street Dreams, Todd, Barry and many others. You take car`s and transform them into masterpieces of swirl free paint perfection.

Anyone who follow`s me knows that I have been struggling to get my own vehicle swirl free. I am making progress but not where I want to be yet.

Last night the battery in my car remote died. I went to the dealer to get it replaced early today and I parked in New Car Sales as they are closed at 7:30AM and I don`t park where I can get Door Dents. Got the battery, poped it in and I returned to my car to find 2 dealership employees checking out my car from various angles. As I approached I figured I was going to get a pitch for a detail. One guy says, dude, this ride is crackin`. I said thanks. he says, who does your finishing. I said its not done yet but I do. He laughed and said for real, you clean the back of the rims and hone that paint? I said I do to the best I can. He said, for real-no way? And walked off in disbelief. Guess that`s a backhanded compliment?

Most people in the world don`t see the difference between a clean car and a TID quality detailed car. You know I got so caught up in the perfection posted on these sights that I get very critical with my own work.

I think that the professional detail community has forever ruined my chances of looking at my black car and smiling.

Bottom line is I think my problem can be summed up as follows:

Perfection is the enmy of excellent.

Perfection requires consistantly working at your craft to perfect it. I enjoy taking care of my car but I think I need to give myself a break. My car will never look like the Black Lexus Dave posted in his Hammered thread unless I give Dave my car to go to town on.

For now I am just going to focus on taking steps in improving the polishing process. Not sure if its me or the Infiniti paint but eventually I will win one way or the other. I will get it and polish it out as I know can be done, or in 9 months, the new car will be white or silver!!!!!!!!!

I really enjoy checking out the fine work posted on the sites and I apprecaite the time it takes to embed videos, pictures and list steps and processed. Thanks to all of you who have enabled me to continue learning.

Enjoy the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I am totally humbled by the work that I see posted on the board by the Pro`s like Dave from Street Dreams, Todd, Barry and many others. You take car`s and transform them into masterpieces of swirl free paint perfection.

I agree, the work put out by Todd (th0001) Barry (BMW5541) and Barry Theal (Buffer Barry) are truly awe inspiring. I am also a big fan of Chad (Rasky) Dana (Asphalt Rocket) & GoFast (there are others also)

Anyone who follow`s me knows that I have been struggling to get my own vehicle swirl free. I am making progress but not where I want to be yet.

Yes Indeed, I have witness you come along way, in a short time

Last night the battery in my car remote died. I went to the dealer to get it replaced early today and I parked in New Car Sales as they are closed at 7:30AM and I don`t park where I can get Door Dents. Got the battery, poped it in and I returned to my car to find 2 dealership employees checking out my car from various angles. As I approached I figured I was going to get a pitch for a detail. One guy says, dude, this ride is crackin`. I said thanks. he says, who does your finishing. I said its not done yet but I do. He laughed and said for real, you clean the back of the rims and hone that paint? I said I do to the best I can. He said, for real-no way? And walked off in disbelief. Guess that`s a backhanded compliment?

Next time get your batterys @ Radio Shack. Much cheaper and you won`t have to deal with the a$$ clowns at the Stealership

Most people in the world don`t see the difference between a clean car and a TID quality detailed car. You know I got so caught up in the perfection posted on these sights that I get very critical with my own work.

Join the club. I think I`m pretty safe to say, that most all of us will second guess are selves at times. At the end of the day, just do the best you can. If not, this will stop being fun, and you will loose intrest fast.

I think that the professional detail community has forever ruined my chances of looking at my black car and smiling.

Bottom line is I think my problem can be summed up as follows:

Perfection is the enmy of excellent.

Perfection is overated

Perfection requires consistantly working at your craft to perfect it. I enjoy taking care of my car but I think I need to give myself a break. My car will never look like the Black Lexus Dave posted in his Hammered thread unless I give Dave my car to go to town on.

Use photoshop and you can make your car look "exactly" like Davids work

For now I am just going to focus on taking steps in improving the polishing process. Not sure if its me or the Infiniti paint but eventually I will win one way or the other. I will get it and polish it out as I know can be done, or in 9 months, the new car will be white or silver!!!!!!!!!

Smart decision IMO. After all, in 50 years or less, 99.999% of all cars end up in a car crusher anyway

I really enjoy checking out the fine work posted on the sites and I apprecaite the time it takes to embed videos, pictures and list steps and processed. Thanks to all of you who have enabled me to continue learning.

Enjoy the weekend.
    Oh, I`m enjoying myself tremensouly. After all, it is my Birthday @-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I did get ripped pretty bad on the battery from the stealership. 12.50 for a Sony Cr2020 considering you can buy them on line for 18.95 for 50!

Oh, well. i tried to open the remote and was afraid of cracking the dam thing. I got pushed in a pool over the summer and the thing was 110.00 including programing for the new one. Did not want to frig it up. So I actually saved 97.50!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Yes, I did get ripped pretty bad on the battery from the stealership. 12.50 for a Sony Cr2020 considering you can buy them on line for 18.95 for 50!

Yes, after you take delievery of your new vehicle there is no need to return to the Stealership unless you have warranty work. Find a quality indepedent shop that specializes in your make of car for all repairs Da Rules!

Oh, well. i tried to open the remote and was afraid of cracking the dam thing. I got pushed in a pool over the summer and the thing was 110.00 including programing for the new one. Did not want to frig it up. So I actually saved 97.50!
    Getting pushed in a pool is so inmature. Might I suggest for revenge is to find a freind that will get on all fours behind said individual while you push him/her backwards :-B

Post Thanks / Like
    We as detailers have a trained eye whereas we can see imperfections that others can`t see.

Your post reminds me of my best friend Barry who is a guitar player for 25 years. Barry will tell me that I have a sickness when I have contempt with cobwebbing or micro marring that he can`t see.

A little perspective on Barry`s obsession.

Barry as a guitar player and perfectionist has been in search of the perfect tone. He calls it "tonequest" . He has spent over $100,000 over the years in the search for the right tone for his music equipment. He`ll purchase new amp cabinets, pedals, solid state amp heads, tube amp heads, wah pedals, harminizers, effects processors etc. etc.

He has a degree in electronics so he has what I call a "mad scientist electronics station" in his garage where he disasembles all of these tone changing gadgets that he buys in his quest for the right tone. He will solder in different diodes, resistors, capacitors, potentiometers etc. etc. Then he will sell a bunch of stuff on Ebay and head for the music store and repeat the process with the latest and greatest equipment available to his budget.

He absolutely drives himself mad in his quest for the right tone.

I recently watched a youtube video where Dweezil Zappa was giving a video tour of the "Utility Muffin Research Kitchen" (UMRK) which was his father`s (Frank Zappa) home recording studio until his death in late 1993. In this video Dweezil shows a combination of his father`s equipment and his own equipment (millions of dollars worth of stuff) and he explains what these different components do to change the tone of his many extensively modified guitars. It occured to me that Dweezil is also an a search for the the Holy Grail of the music world, "Tone Quest"

I sent the link to Barry and told him that he should take up Auto Detailing that it would be much less expensive.

In the end as far as perspective goes I believe that the inability just to be content with what we have is the real issue. We as human beings fancy ourselves as perfectionists.

Where do we draw the line? If and when you figure out the answer to that question please let me know.

Thanks for reading and realize that this is just my perspective on things. TD

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, I am sure I am not the Barry you are referring to, because I, in no way, shape, or form, belong in that group with the likes of Dave and Todd!!!!

If I am the Barry that you are referring to, thank you.

I do know what you are talking about. I see things that I never used to see a few years ago. Even my wife sees the differences in the way a car is supposed to look and the way they usually do.

The longer you hang around here, the worse it will get. Every time I see one of Dave`s details, or one of the super cars that Todd does, or Bob from Auto Concierge (and many more that are here at TID), I am that much more inspired to get to that level. :clap:
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    you`ve got a great attitude, so just shine on. it is funny that what some of us think of as ok, others see immediately as outstanding. the first time i used my da on my 2000 ford pickup, i thought it looked good, but my friends saw it as outstanding. (i credit most of that to the bfwd i used.) anyway, shine on !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information