Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TimG View Post
    I do take them off if I`m paid to do it.

Take them off, clean+seal, put them back at the exact lug nut location and re tighten them with a torque wrench.
    After my experience this week with lug nuts that have factory "caps" on them, I would have be explicitly told to remove them and clean them at the customers request. At least until I get over what a PITA stockers can be :banghead:

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t, simply for the reason that I don`t have a way of knowing what the torque specs are for all the vehicles and wheels out there.

Now, if a client wants to take the wheels off before I get there, and put them back on themselves, that`s an entirely different situation.
    Connor Harrison

Inspection -> Correction -> Protection

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CH.Detailing View Post
    I don`t, simply for the reason that I don`t have a way of knowing what the torque specs are for all the vehicles and wheels out there.

Now, if a client wants to take the wheels off before I get there, and put them back on themselves, that`s an entirely different situation.

There are wheel & tire trade books with torque specs/PCD/offsets/stock overall tire & wheel diameter for all passenger vehicles and trucks. Also the vehicles manuel will have this information(except Ferrari & Maserati)plus tirerack has a way to calculate torque based upon lug diameter ie:12x 2.5 for example which will give minimum thread engagement etc..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    How many of you remove the wheels when doing a detail to really get the inside of the wheels clean?

I usually don`t, but I am curious how many of you do.
    Kahuna? Hummmmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    How many of you remove the wheels when doing a detail to really get the inside of the wheels clean?
    On my DD - twice a year.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    There are wheel & tire trade books with torque specs/PCD/offsets/stock overall tire & wheel diameter for all passenger vehicles and trucks. Also the vehicles manuel will have this information(except Ferrari & Maserati)plus tirerack has a way to calculate torque based upon lug diameter ie:12x 2.5 for example which will give minimum thread engagement etc..
    Thanks Bob, I`m going to have to get one of those!
    Connor Harrison

Inspection -> Correction -> Protection

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a local tire shop that recommends all customers with aluminum rims return 24 hours later to have the rims re-torqued. Ever hear of that? Now if they would just put the weights on the inside without begging...

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Corvette Road trips - Every time. That`s about 6 trips per year. (500-1000 miles per trip)

Daily Drivers - Every Spring when I rotate the tires.

For Customers - Only if they ask me to.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EclecTech View Post
    There is a local tire shop that recommends all customers with aluminum rims return 24 hours later to have the rims re-torqued. Ever hear of that? Now if they would just put the weights on the inside without begging...

Jack
    Correct due to thermal expansion & contraction also unlike metals(wheel vs hub mounting face). Note goes on invoice if I dismount/remount wheels with the proper torque setting stated as well to re-torque after 50 miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct due to thermal expansion & contraction also unlike metals(wheel vs hub mounting face). Note goes on invoice if I dismount/remount wheels with the proper torque setting stated as well to re-torque after 50 miles.
    Bob! your the man, I would love to be your intern one day! You`re super knowledgeable about all of the proper terms and techniques. How do you get so good? For us, we get to look up to guys like you, but who do you learn from?
    Doing it BIG!

Post Thanks / Like

Removing wheels/tires

I don`t do it on every car but quite a few details. If it will make that much of a difference (probably more so to me) I`ll take them off and clean the inside

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tru_Shine View Post
    Bob! your the man, I would love to be your intern one day! You`re super knowledgeable about all of the proper terms and techniques. How do you get so good? For us, we get to look up to guys like you, but who do you learn from?

Learned from Kevin Patten my shop foreman @ Performance Art and various suspension tech guides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    The only time I have done is when I have removed the tires to rotate them (when I do it myself). I also clean the inside of the wheel too.
    Same here. I always do a thorough cleaning when rotating tires. As far as doing it on retail jobs I`ve only done it on a few cars. Most the vehicles I see are DD`s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information