Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like Zymol would be something talked about at Autopia, considering 8 oz of some of their waxes go for hundreds of dollars. I did a search on Zymol, and most people seem to talk about it negatively. Why is that? How is their $110 glass of Estate wax not up to Autopian standards? Surely someone here has tried the basic Carbon or Creme wax for around $40.

But I doubt anyone here has tried the Zymol Vintage Estate Glaze which sells for $1,100.00. Zymol Vintage Estate Glaze
    If you aren`t happy with that, Zymol IS bad...
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s just wax not gold! I have used Carbon it`s an ok wax but it only lasted one wash. Zymol is all about merketing.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a Zymol detailer and fan of their products. Zymol is not bad, it is just thought to be overpriced by many people. The products are of high quality and last a long time if used correctly. I think the hardest part about Zymol is applying it the right way. Once you get the application down, it is a very easy product to deal with. All of their waxes are of high quality, even the Cleaner Wax with Turtle wax involved is better then most of your waxes on the market. The problem as many people see it is that the waxes do not last a long time. Well, this is a common problem with Carnauba waxes. Now, I find that the Zymol on my cars lasts for quite awhile. I wax my 540i about once every 2 months. The only areas that really need the wax at that time are the lower fenders and rear bumper due to the salt and road grime. For a little test, I did my `71 Monte Carlo half with Zymol Cleaner wax and the other half with Klasse. I only applied one coat of each (Klasse SG and AIO). To my surprise after 3 months, the beading is equal as is shine. From what I have heard, the Klasse is a long lasting product, so I am expecting it to out last the Zymol. I beleive that Zymol, along with any other carnauba, will last awhile as long as it is washed regularly with a specified wash for the wax(Zymol Carbon= Zymol Clear). As for their waxes, the Concours Glaze is great. Great depth of shine and lasts for quite awhile. Just my .02 cents.

T.C.

`97 BMW 540/6

Post Thanks / Like
    First, Zymol is not just about marketing. Dura Shine is about marketing. ProLong car polish is about marketing. That GS27 stuff is about marketing. If you see an infomercial promoting some car care stuff, <em class=`bbc`>that`s marketing.[/i]

Zymol is about quality; it`s about results; it`s about the difference between winning a big show and losing. I guarantee you that you will never see Dura Shine or GS27 on the lawn at Pebble Beach or Meadowbrook, but Zymol is everywhere.

The biggest issue with Zymol is that it`s not the best product for the daily driver. Most of us here at Autopia have to drive our cars every day, alot of people park outdoors, and others live in areas with harsh weather. Zymol doesn`t offer enough protection for those conditions. Yeah, the product delivers on performance but if it won`t hold up to snow and ice, it ain`t gonna cut it for most people. Combine that with the extremely high price of Zymol products and it`s just not practical for normal use.

Zymol makes great stuff. I`ve used it on concours-quality cars where a 1 point deduction on paint judging sends you home with nothing. The right Zymol product on the right paint job can be the difference in a show. But on a street car, it`s too expensive and delicate.

Just my thoughts..............
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you visit their website they almost make you believe your paint needs to eat and drink and is living and needs these natural oils,etc,etc,etc. Again, this is only my opinion. I have used zymol in the past, and it is not a durable carnuba. No where near blitz or collonite. Maybe it will last 2 months on a car that is garaged in a cool climate that does not see rain a lot or get washed often. It does produce a nice shine, as all carnuba/oil products do. Also, it was hard to work with. Buffing off was a workout. Well, that is my take.

I never tried the high end products. I could never justify those prices for ANY product, but like others said, they are more about attaining a specific look at and for "the moment" and would be best suited for use at car shows if at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Zymol. good quality stuff, overpriced as said above. You CAN get better shine, better longevity, better ease of application - in other products.

As for car shows? Zymol is NOT a big contender, nor is Zaino. Meguiar`s is used more than any other product, by a wide margin. The most famous car show in the world is the Pebble Beach Concours D`Elegance. You can`t even show there just because you want to - you MUST be invited. At the 2001 show, 21 out of 26 Best In Class winners, including best in Show, used Meguiar`s. It is also used at most of the famous museums, like Blackhawk.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do these concours champions use from Meguiar`s? I assume not the normal stuff on the Meguiar`s Website...
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    T.C., I think BretFraz put it best when he says that it really doesn`t meet the needs of the majority (but not all) of the detailers here. I`m sure it provides a very nice shine though. Can you tell me a little more about the car wash though? Does it help replenish the wax?

Carguy, good point. I read about that on their website.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a basic question. If Zymol is so hard to take off, how come it doesn`t last long?
    2021 Acura RDX, Pearl Red
    2022 Cadillac CT-4V Blackwing, Blaze Orange
    2022 Mazda MX-5, Snowflake White

Post Thanks / Like
    The most durable carnubas seem to be the harder to use ones. While carnuba durability has little to do with the amount of carnuba in the formula, my guess is the difficulty of usage with zymol has to do with the solvents they use. Some of their products need to be applied with your hands as your body heat melts the wax and smooths it out for application. This tells me that they probably have a low solvent content so as soon as they leave the bottle they tend to set up fast and be a little harder to buff off. Again, just talking though this.....make sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by bretfraz [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>First, Zymol is not just about marketing. Dura Shine is about marketing. ProLong car polish is about marketing. That GS27 stuff is about marketing. If you see an infomercial promoting some car care stuff, <em class=`bbc`>that`s marketing.[/i]
    [/b]</blockquote>
    I agree on that. I like GS27 an awful lot but I don`t ever pay for it. It is too freakin expensive for what it is. Meguiar`s ScratchX works just as well and it`s 5 bucks cheaper on the shelf. Anytime a product has a huge advertising budget you can bet the product costs more. That is sort of a good thing. I read a saying once in a Groo comic book that stuck with me. It said "Once everyone finds the best place on earth, it stops being the best place on earth." If Klasse was advertised to death then everybody would have it and the results wouldn`t be so remarkable. It would be more like the standard.

I`ve seen some really good looking cars done with Zymol but if I had to choose between buying a 45 dollar can of Zymol or a couple bottles of Klasse then I`d get the Klasse every time. If I was going to show my car I`d invest in the best stuff on earth and if after all my resarch points to Zymol then I`d throw down that 45 bucks in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you get to to the level of Concours cars it`s the skill of the detailer that matters more than the product being used.

In my expierence with Concours level cars Zymol is big in circles were the price tag is more appealing than the results it produces. Some people have the point of view that just because it costs more it must work better.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if I am working on a concours winning car or a daily driver Zymol would not be my first choice.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Chuckmotor [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>What do these concours champions use from Meguiar`s? I assume not the normal stuff on the Meguiar`s Website... [/b]</blockquote>
    I was going to ask that same question. Does anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like
    More likely to be the professional range of products, not the consumer range. But that may be changing as they introduce their Gold Class range.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intel486 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>

I was going to ask that same question. Does anyone know? [/b]</blockquote>
    If I were Meguiar`s I wouldn`t tell a soul. I imagine it`s a special formulation they`ve done for participants. Zymol has done the same thing a few times.

One point I haven`t read is about the quality of the paint job. Many of the Pebble Beach type cars have paint jobs so expensive that you could put a nice down payment on a house for the same money. The best car painter I ever met is Junior Conway of Junior`s House of Color in Bell, CA. He`s like the King of Ferrari Painters. He advertises in Cavallino magazine. Anyway, his "basic" Ferrari paint job costs $10,000. If serious body repairs are needed, the price goes up. Car and Driver magazine did an article on him many years ago.

I went to his shop one day and saw him and his assistant final waxing a new black paint job on a Testarossa. The wax he was using? One Grand Blitz.

When it comes to waxing a concours show car all the product has to do is enhance the paint for a few hours. Many Zymol products are formulated for just this task. I would guess Meguiar`s offers a similar type product.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information