Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    i do it as a hobby for free..close to free since prices are so cheap due to the recession which was supposedly over 2 yers ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not for business

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglerider94 View Post
    After reading many of the posts here and how dedicated all of you are, I thought I`d ask a few questions;
    1) How long did it take to successfully turn this into your primary business.
    2) Who was your first customer and how did you sell your detail to them?
    3) How did you expand your client base and how long did it take to attain a sufficient amount of clients to make this your primary business?
    4) Do you advertise or rely on word of mouth?
    Primary business , no other income besides occasional dogsitting.

1)Put my all into it right away but was a struggle first couple years financially .The last 7 Ive been able to make a living and not go into debt.

2)My friend who owns an auto repair shop. I told him I was low on money and asked if he wanted me to wax and clean his truck. He was very happy with it and started referring me customers from his shop and my business was born thanks to him. I had no idea I would make a business out of it!

3)+4)I got most of my referrals from my friend with the shop but always hand out several cards to customers to give to their friends at the end of a detail job. Im mobile and usually go to customers homes, neighbors are always looking and asking questions and often become future customers.
    I got magnetic signs for my vehicle with name and phone number, great way to advertise!

I did pay for advertising a couple of times in the first year . Expensive but totally worth it ! Of course word of mouth is the best . The more outgoing you are the better you are at networking.

Im a little shy but luckily I know several people who promote my business free of charge ......but i do give them free details and washes to return the favor and remember them at xmas time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    You have 5 threads worth of questions there :-? Yes, this is what I do :-B And have been for a very long time :yawn:
    You`re right Flash, I guess I wasn`t thinking. I was just curious at the time I posted it because of how popular detailing has become and how far the products have advanced, amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    I am a full time student in my last semester of college right now so detailing is a summer job (and weekends when I am free) I love to do it and I will always have it as a side job. I am in school to become a teacher so If I end up teaching then I will continue to detail in the summers.
    It`s definitely and great source of extra income, especially if you love automobiles. Then again, I don`t think anyone would do this labor intensive work if they didn`t love automobiles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    Technicaly, this is my primary business for now. I am unemployed at the moment, so I have tried to make a business out of this.

1) It takes quite a while to build up a good reputation, and get some good customers
    2) My first customer was a father of a friend. His car was a mess, and he needed someone he could trust.
    3) I had business cards printed, and made flyers and passed them around town. The best way to get new business is to have talk about your work online. Still working on getting enough business to make a living from.
    4) Word of mouth only.
    Thanks for the reply Barry. Keep up the great work and your clientele will surely grow. When I did it years ago, I rented a service bay at a Chevron station and received tons of work from interested people watching me detail while they had their cars fueled up. Point is, it pays to be established in a high traffic area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I do not do it for money,
    If not for money, surely for the love of it and that says a lot about you. The people you do this for are very lucky. :thumbup:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drdetail View Post
    i do it as a hobby for free..close to free since prices are so cheap due to the recession which was supposedly over 2 yers ago.
    :thumbup:
    So what was the first car you ever detailed and how did you sell the service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detailchick View Post
    Primary business , no other income besides occasional dogsitting.

1)Put my all into it right away but was a struggle first couple years financially .The last 7 Ive been able to make a living and not go into debt.

2)My friend who owns an auto repair shop. I told him I was low on money and asked if he wanted me to wax and clean his truck. He was very happy with it and started referring me customers from his shop and my business was born thanks to him. I had no idea I would make a business out of it!

3)+4)I got most of my referrals from my friend with the shop but always hand out several cards to customers to give to their friends at the end of a detail job. Im mobile and usually go to customers homes, neighbors are always looking and asking questions and often become future customers.
    I got magnetic signs for my vehicle with name and phone number, great way to advertise!

I did pay for advertising a couple of times in the first year . Expensive but totally worth it ! Of course word of mouth is the best . The more outgoing you are the better you are at networking.

Im a little shy but luckily I know several people who promote my business free of charge ......but i do give them free details and washes to return the favor and remember them at xmas time!
    Looks like you`ve been doing all of the right things Detailchick and I`m sure you are quite busy. I`m sure your great work makes up for your shyness. Have you ever posted pics of your work?

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading many of the posts here and how dedicated all of you are, I thought I`d ask a few questions;
    1) How long did it take to successfully turn this into your primary business.
    2) Who was your first customer and how did you sell your detail to them?
    3) How did you expand your client base and how long did it take to attain a sufficient amount of clients to make this your primary business?
    4) Do you advertise or rely on word of mouth?

1)Well, When I first started detailing (at this level) was one year ago, It was just supposed to be a weekend thing for extra money, I had 5 years dealership detailing experience, so I was just going to make some extra money, but the more I started learning about REAL detailing. the more I realized how many Hack job cheapo detailers are out there. So that`s when I decided to separate myself from the hacks. I studied hours and hours on other detailing websites, watching what all the other "Detailing Hero`s" used for tools, products, and techniques. then each and every detail I would take my profit and buy the best tools, and products I could get. and now one year later I went from 2001 Buick lesabre to a 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo. My biggest secret is paying my tithes! No matter what anyone says, God has taken me from basic cars to super cars in one year! I stay faithful, honest and present a professional image, and the rest is history!

2) My first full correction was a Black 2006 Nissan Maxima, It was Super Hammered! He was a buddy of mine and I was at his house and the car was under a street light! I told him I could make it better then new! Once I did he was hooked! and it still looks just as good to this day!

3) Posting on the local Forums. Try to put together nice quality write ups that show dramatic changes. any car enthusiast will appreciate quality car care. you wont be able to jump into high price details. you have to prove yourself kind of. Let`s just say I started at $150 for Full Corrections that took 15 hours to complete. The more I did them, the more I realized they were worth more.
    but I still had a job at my dads business. while I was on my 3rd big correction (the 89 BMW) the owners dad came by with his Black Z06 vette (the 2007 Z06 write up) and said "man, I need you to do my vette" and then once people see that people trust you with nice cars, then all the other nice cars come to you with trust.

4) Word of mouth, and Facebook. you gotta make people think your the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Hope this helps?

-Eric
    Doing it BIG!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tru_Shine View Post
    1)Well, When I first started detailing (at this level) was one year ago, It was just supposed to be a weekend thing for extra money, I had 5 years dealership detailing experience, so I was just going to make some extra money, but the more I started learning about REAL detailing. the more I realized how many Hack job cheapo detailers are out there. So that`s when I decided to separate myself from the hacks. I studied hours and hours on other detailing websites, watching what all the other "Detailing Hero`s" used for tools, products, and techniques. then each and every detail I would take my profit and buy the best tools, and products I could get. and now one year later I went from 2001 Buick lesabre to a 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo. My biggest secret is paying my tithes! No matter what anyone says, God has taken me from basic cars to super cars in one year! I stay faithful, honest and present a professional image, and the rest is history!

2) My first full correction was a Black 2006 Nissan Maxima, It was Super Hammered! He was a buddy of mine and I was at his house and the car was under a street light! I told him I could make it better then new! Once I did he was hooked! and it still looks just as good to this day!

3) Posting on the local Forums. Try to put together nice quality write ups that show dramatic changes. any car enthusiast will appreciate quality car care. you wont be able to jump into high price details. you have to prove yourself kind of. Let`s just say I started at $150 for Full Corrections that took 15 hours to complete. The more I did them, the more I realized they were worth more.
    but I still had a job at my dads business. while I was on my 3rd big correction (the 89 BMW) the owners dad came by with his Black Z06 vette (the 2007 Z06 write up) and said "man, I need you to do my vette" and then once people see that people trust you with nice cars, then all the other nice cars come to you with trust.

4) Word of mouth, and Facebook. you gotta make people think your the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Hope this helps?

-Eric
    Great story Eric,
    As I mentioned on my post, I`ve been very interested to hear everyone`s success stories after reading many of the posts in this great site. Boy, if only I had this forum when I began detailing. Would have saved me tons of time during my learning curve.

The more I read the more I wonder wether I should start professionally again. With the weather being favorable most of the year here in So. Cal. it may pay off to get back into it.

Like your input about Facebook. Mobile food trucks in L.A. have exploded using Facebook. Amazing how the word spreads. I have friends who literally look for a lunch truck via FB and drive over to it if they are close by.

Keep up the great work!

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re right Flash, I guess I wasn`t thinking. I was just curious at the time I posted it because of how popular detailing has become and how far the products have advanced, amazing.
    Yes indeed. We have come along way from TW rubbing compound in the red can /

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information