Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Q: I wash my car at home using a garden hose. Lately, the finish looks dull and marked. What could be wrong?

A: Washing your car at home is extremely harmful to the finish since University of Texas proved that a single home hand-wash can leave scratches in the finish as deep as 1/10 of the paint`s total thickness. Also, the average garden hose cannot supply enough water and water pressure with the detergent action to avoid damaging a car`s finish.

This important study concluded that automobile owners should avoid washing their cars at home. Only a professional car wash can provide the proper amounts of water and water pressure needed with the appropriate cleaning solutions to safely and effectively clean your car.
    ================================================== =====================================
    And what study was that??? The one paid for and conducted by the International Car Wash Association.

Um...ok....hey what about all the crud-recycled water that goes on my car. Oh and the bristle brushes that gouge into the clear coat on my wheels. Oh and the polyester towels they use to dry my baby with. Um...no thank you.

My favorite is the brush they use to clean the front and rear bumpers and the underbody. Oooh yeah, nice and coarse, just what my car needs to keep that beautiful shine.

Here`s the link: http://www.carwashes.com/faq/

Post Thanks / Like
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, thats it..................I`m gonna pay a detailer 60.00 to wash my car, he`ll be power sliding all the way to the coin op car wash, spray it with the soap and drive so fast back to the shop the soap will dry...... yeaaaa ookkkkk, I`m killing my paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a study performed by the University of Bradford Hayward. Look at all of the cars HERE which are hand washed, then look at the atrocities that roll out of your local car wash. Oh, and BTW, we dont use detergant to wash cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

And what study was that??? The one paid for and conducted by the International Car Wash Association.</blockquote>
    It was the study paid for by the "pro" car washes looking to make huge bucks off of poor uneducated car people. It`s baseless misinformation like this that makes it confusing for people who are trying to seriously get into car care. :down :down

I would never ever let one of my cars go through one of those horrid washes. They are swirl city. According to them it`s O.K to let one of these things swirl the crap out of your car, just make sure you don`t wash it at home. Give me a break. :down
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s most surprising is that the study was backed by a reputable institution.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intermezzo330I [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>What`s most surprising is that the study was backed by a reputable institution. [/b]</blockquote>
    Yea I bet the people that did the story knew someone on the inside and asked them to write up thier study and gave their friend a bunch of techno mumble jumble and they fell for it. It`s not all that great for the people that want to detail their cars but are scared to death of causing damage, after reading something like that so called "study" they`d only allow a detailer to do it, which will cost alot of money, then they will soon stop bringing it to the detailer because it cost too much and wham, thats when the cars gets dirty and bites the dust.

It`s sad, so sad, I`ve seen so many healthy young youthful cars go down the drain. Come on people, I`ve been there, I know how bad it is ......... waaaaaait a second, this isn`t my AA meeting, DOH.

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Science is the art of presenting what one wants to say with disregard to other theories that may prsent a different view.

Just like polls. It is how it is worded!

They were paid to make them look good and they succeeded!!

Post Thanks / Like
    All this goes to show is that you can verify any opinion (no matter how bad it stinks) if you consult enough "experts". This isn`t brain surgery. Our supplies don`t come with warning labels that say "Caution!! Don`t try this at home!!" Come on... We are professionals!! How in the world can we harm our cars with the lengths we go to to protect them?? What bunk. Shesh!!
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Those automatic car washes are a cruel hoax! I was so disappointed to find the the guy I bought my Porsche from had run the car through an automatic car wash. Not only did it swirl the paint but it messed up the inside of the rim from the wheel track that pulls the car along. When he did wax it he missed a whole bunch of spots when wiping the wax off. (see photo below) The thing that really killed me though was how filthy the inside of the back window was. It looked like it had been cleaned with a chocolate bar.

At least he was apparently very careful with where he parked it because there were no door dings thank god.

Post Thanks / Like
    Photo of wax build up along the flare protective film.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intermezzo330I [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>What`s most surprising is that the study was backed by a reputable institution. [/b]</blockquote>
    It sounds that way....but who knows about this institution? I spent a very small amount of time looking around the site and it was obvious it was a Carwash association, not a Car Washing association. This appears to just be an "association" of (at least a few ) commercial carwashes. BTW try a search on their page for carwashes. Interesting how they all have the same general web page layout, isn`t it?

Links on the main page consist of:

Reasons to use a commercial car wash

Selecting the proper [commercial] wash

Environmental Information [Subheadings Home Car Washing Wastes Water and Leads to Water Pollution and Professional Car Washes Use Water Safely and Efficiently]

ETC. Can anyone say personal interest? Bias? There is no history of this "Association" on the site that I could see.

<hr>

<span style=`font-size: 8px;`><blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

To make the test as realistic as possible, and to give both the hand washers and the automatic carwashing equipment something to get clean, five test vehicles were thoroughly coated with a mixture of street dirt, under-fender dirt accumulations, oily water, and thawing-salt residue. This test mixture, inspected under a microscope, contained grit particles measuring between 0.5mm and 1.0mm which are enough to damage the toughest paintwork if not carefully removed.</blockquote>

Hopefully the Texans didn`t do the same thing these people did for Mercedes 10 years ago. Quote from This link.

Above are my opinions and some facts pulled off of the site. Please draw your own conclusions. I as the poster of this message intended the message solely for entertainment purposes and the above should in no situation be considered factual information.

pUterbum

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a full page there about wasahing your car at home too. Pretty funny they`d have it there considering how horrible it is for our cars.
    http://www.carwashes.com/select/home.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Puterbum, maybe I am misreading your post, but I was referring to the University of Texas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information