Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops I messed up my earlier link Floni it is fixed now. However our very own clairvoyant Tortoise knows exactly what I`m talkin` about. Those Before & After Pictures of the Black Truck are astounding dude. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    :p

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by FLONI [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>:p [/b]</blockquote>
    Yeah I think I picked the wrong day to stop sniffin` Klasse AIO. :p

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a shot of the Maxima before I washed it

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

"What Swirl Marks?"

I had a customer last week who brought me a 2008 Black Tahoe. It looked like he had been wiping it with those stiff brown paper towels from the public restroom.

(Sorry no pics)

He said it didn`t need to be polished, just "waxed". (He cheaped out on the polish!) I pointed out the EXTENSIVE swirlmarks on the black paint and our conversation went something like this:

[Tahoe parked in direct sunlight.]

"Can you see those thousands of tiny little hairline scratches? They`re called "Swirlmarks".

"No."

"You can`t see those?" (Me pointing directly at the sun reflection in the paint)

"No."

"The tiny little fine scratches?"

"No."

"OK then."[roll eyes]

"Obviously, the clearcoat is doing it`s job, because the car looks great. Just needs a little "wax"."

"OK."

[Washed and waxed. Customer is always right.]:banghead:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya gotta love `em Bill.

Most people are so used to all the swirls and scratches that they don`t even see them. They are so acustomed to seeing them, that they think that is how the car is supposed to look. I am surprised that a person like this would even bring his car to a detailer.ut:
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    Ya gotta love `em Bill.

Most people are so used to all the swirls and scratches that they don`t even see them. They are so acustomed to seeing them, that they think that is how the car is supposed to look. I am surprised that a person like this would even bring his car to a detailer.ut:
    Don`t get me wrong... this is a very nice Tahoe. Very clean and well maintained. And he washes it religiously at least once a week (hence the condition of the paint!), but clean inside and out, nonetheless.

He`s just blind to swirls!
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s an idea - perhaps if he actually acknowledges the swirls in the paint are there, then he is admitting that he probably had something to do with putting them on the paint in the first place...

You need to show him your website where you have pics of a 50/50 shot of swirls vs corrected paint on a black vehicle..

Or, perhaps he has really bad eyesight ??

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve related this story a number of times but it`s still fresh in my memory after almost 3 years!

When I was ordering my new BMW 335i coupe (Black Sapphire) I had to insist to the Sales Associate that I did NOT want it detailed or even washed when it arrives to the dealer. It was about the 3rd or 4th visit to the dealer and he was tied up with another customer for a little while that day so I spent some time browsing through the showroom floor. They had a gorgeous Jet Black Z4M Coupe sitting there and under the recessed lighting was glistening in all of its swirl glory. I couldn`t believe the condition of that paint. When my SA finally greeted me I again used the opportunity to remind him NOT TO EVEN WASH IT!!! He was still not getting it and kept insisting I let his "detail guys" clean it up after it arrives as a pre delivery service. I asked him if he would indulge me for just a minute.

I walked him out to the Z4 coupe and under the reflection of the light I asked him if he could see the numerous fine scratches in the lights reflection. He either didn`t see them or didn`t want to acknowledge them at first. "See what looks like spider web type scratches in the reflection?", I continued. He finally acquiesced and admitted to seeing them saying something like "oh, all cars have that".

I asked him if he thinks the car left Munich like that. I then asked him if the Vehicle Prep Center in South Carolina put those in the paint. After he silently answered my questions in his head I think he realized his "detail guys" probably were responsible for them as a result of their "skills". Bottom line is that the sales guy probably never noticed them until that day. Even if he was blind to them like Bill`s customer and was simply going along with me I made another impression of how insistent I was.

The final trump card was when I threatened to NOT give the post sale survey "all 5`s" as BMWNA and the dealer wants as customer follow up. That was the Achilles Heel and was played just in case he forgets during the next 9 weeks waiting for delivery.

It worked! When he called me to come pick up my new BMW it was filthy!!! I was EXTREMELY happy and expressed my appreciation. I promptly drove it home and washed it lovingly. I was inclined to then jump back in it, drive up to the dealer and ask him to pull the Z4 out into the sun and park it right next to mine to show them how they arrive to them off the truck! Nah, the next customer after me would still get the dealer "detail".

I understand, Bill, how that customer went against your best intentions but I always give em what they want to pay for. I`m hoping he did see what you were pointing out (like my Sales guy) and it might register later on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    I`ve related this story a number of times but it`s still fresh in my memory after almost 3 years!

When I was ordering my new BMW 335i coupe (Black Sapphire) I had to insist to the Sales Associate that I did NOT want it detailed or even washed when it arrives to the dealer. It was about the 3rd or 4th visit to the dealer and he was tied up with another customer for a little while that day so I spent some time browsing through the showroom floor. They had a gorgeous Jet Black Z4M Coupe sitting there and under the recessed lighting was glistening in all of its swirl glory. I couldn`t believe the condition of that paint. When my SA finally greeted me I again used the opportunity to remind him NOT TO EVEN WASH IT!!! He was still not getting it and kept insisting I let his "detail guys" clean it up after it arrives as a pre delivery service. I asked him if he would indulge me for just a minute.

I walked him out to the Z4 coupe and under the reflection of the light I asked him if he could see the numerous fine scratches in the lights reflection. He either didn`t see them or didn`t want to acknowledge them at first. "See what looks like spider web type scratches in the reflection?", I continued. He finally acquiesced and admitted to seeing them saying something like "oh, all cars have that".

I asked him if he thinks the car left Munich like that. I then asked him if the Vehicle Prep Center in South Carolina put those in the paint. After he silently answered my questions in his head I think he realized his "detail guys" probably were responsible for them as a result of their "skills". Bottom line is that the sales guy probably never noticed them until that day. Even if he was blind to them like Bill`s customer and was simply going along with me I made another impression of how insistent I was.

The final trump card was when I threatened to NOT give the post sale survey "all 5`s" as BMWNA and the dealer wants as customer follow up. That was the Achilles Heel and was played just in case he forgets during the next 9 weeks waiting for delivery.

It worked! When he called me to come pick up my new BMW it was filthy!!! I was EXTREMELY happy and expressed my appreciation. I promptly drove it home and washed it lovingly. I was inclined to then jump back in it, drive up to the dealer and ask him to pull the Z4 out into the sun and park it right next to mine to show them how they arrive to them off the truck! Nah, the next customer after me would still get the dealer "detail".

I understand, Bill, how that customer went against your best intentions but I always give em what they want to pay for. I`m hoping he did see what you were pointing out (like my Sales guy) and it might register later on.
    Very good point!!!
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post

You got lucky, I find myself fixing more and more bmws for a local dealer but they will not have me do their cars until a customer complains about the dealer detail, they will not pay to have cars done correctly. The detailers there (an outside company) don`t know how to hold a buffer let alone use one, I have a 5 series coming on Tuesday I am going to do fully documnted correction on maybe then they will see what can be done. I don`t get it sometimes I have never purchased a new car but I see more and more hacked up pre delivery, when I bought my last bike they unboxed and assembeled while I waited and the paint job was perfection and no one touched or wiped anything on it.
    Paul
    Eastside Auto Spa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information