Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the ice storm hit here in north Texas last week. As many of you know, they sand the roads. When I went to wash my car this weekend, it looked like someone had taken a sandblaster to my hood. Chips, pits ALL OVER the hood!!!

I have to have it repainted. Talk about depressing. And I have no doubt I`ll be taken to the freakin` cleaners by Acura.

I`m buyin` a bra for the car when it`s finished, unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Search XPEL. It is a clear plasticy thingy that sticks to the paint for protection. A bunch of members have it and like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Might as well wait until Spring to get it done.

No sense in having a new hood exposed to the same thing immediately.

Post Thanks / Like
    HOLY CRAP you are from TEXAS and they had SNOW???!!!!

The world is coming to an end quick buy all the detailing supplies you can! It snowed in the south.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dec 1st it was 67 degrees here in Boston, MA!

Texas has snow in the middle of this....

Weird eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    You may find this thread informative when locating a paint shop. Why Acura? I`m not saying they aren`t the best place to have it done but just curious why you would go to a dealership for something like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice all...

RH: Now that you mentioned it, I probably will wait until spring to get this done...unless I get really pissed off by looking at the hood (which is a possibililty!).

puterbum: Actually, the Acura dealership I was going to take it to is an I-CAR Gold shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thought is that since it`s going to get repainted anyway, you could use the current paint as a test bed. Try repairing some chips, wet sanding, swirl mark removing, etc. Then once repainted you`ll be a pro. Who knows, if you get good enough, maybe you wont want to have it repainted.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious as to why some people get more chips in their hoods then others. Is it primarily car design? because they lay cinders down here in Ohio but I don`t have that much. Is it road conditions. I don`t get it.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its a combination of increased mass and electrostatic charge. The more wax/polymer you have, the more mass which will increase the gravitational forces attracting the pebbles. The contant wiping motion of terry and MF`s over the hood also increases the electrical charge which attracts little pebbles like dust.... You just can`t win

H

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    haha bigboy you must have the most chips cause of your increased mass but that`s the case for Klasse, my car`s in trouble this winter

I did notice there is an increased chance of getting dinged the newer your car is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve:

Driving conditions and driving style matter a lot. I personally avoid being behind or next to semi trucks and if I see a dump truck with dust streaming out of the top I either pass far away from it if safe or (more often) just get off of the freeway and get back on a few minutes.

Drivers that tailgate others will probably get more chips, and if you drive in the middle of the freeway it tends to have less crap than the leftmost and rightmost lanes.

As far as chips go, it`s partially car design and partially the paint and prep for it. Some cars have some kind of anti-chip primer which I know nothing about, and some cars have brittle, easily chipped paint. If your car is shaped like a brick wall at the front (mine has a steep area at the front of the hood) it will get more chips there because the debris cannot simply bounce off of the slope with a minor impact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, or if the bumper and major parts of the front is black plastic/trim. They dont get chipped often...

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Steve:

Driving conditions and driving style matter a lot. I personally avoid being behind or next to semi trucks and if I see a dump truck with dust streaming out of the top I either pass far away from it if safe or (more often) just get off of the freeway and get back on a few minutes.

Drivers that tailgate others will probably get more chips, and if you drive in the middle of the freeway it tends to have less crap than the leftmost and rightmost lanes.[/b]</blockquote>
    Well actually, I make an effort not to tailgate. Being that this is Texas, I am in the land of the tailgaters. Unfortunately, almost every freeway I take to work has construction being done on it, and getting away from gravel and sand, or the trucks that carry them is nearly impossible. It`s very frustrating.

As far as any kind of "anti-chip" paint is concerened, I have personally never heard of such an animal. But if it does exist, I can tell you that my Acura does NOT come with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    RH`s idea is a very sound one. Try looking on the bright side and begin practicing your touchup technique. Laters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information