Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Lens Polishing...

I`m about to give this a shot on my son`s 2001 Grand Am. They are slightly pitted, but mostly hazed and starting to yellow.

I have a precedure in mind but I`d like some information from those who have done this with success.

I`d like to use my PC for this if possible.

What are your products and processes for this???
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    I`m about to give this a shot on my son`s 2001 Grand Am. They are slightly pitted, but mostly hazed and starting to yellow.

I have a precedure in mind but I`d like some information from those who have done this with success.

I`d like to use my PC for this if possible.

What are your products and processes for this???
    I was at Walmart a couple days ago and I spotted a Meguiars Headlight Restoration Kit. Comes with an attachment pad for your drill, PlastX, and a free towel.

The only thing I have done with headlights is polish them by hand with PlastX so I dont have any experience with this.

But I think using your drill and the Meguiars kit would be a start.

I know some folks that have to wetsand headlights too though so i dont know.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoZ71 View Post
    I was at Walmart a couple days ago and I spotted a Meguiars Headlight Restoration Kit. Comes with an attachment pad for your drill, PlastX, and a free towel.

The only thing I have done with headlights is polish them by hand with PlastX so I dont have any experience with this.

But I think using your drill and the Meguiars kit would be a start.

I know some folks that have to wetsand headlights too though so i dont know.
    Well, www.properautocare.com sells three different kits for lens restoration.

The Meguiars kit, the "Black Baron" kit, and the Flitz restoration kit.

I`m just wondering which one is the best for the price and for multiple usage (I may be doing this on customer cars, if it`s time and cost effective!)...
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill I`ve done quite a few with 600 or 800, then 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 and maybe 4000... PlastX, 106ff, and FPII have been my `finishing polishes`
    Ivan Rajic
    LUSTR Auto Detail - Owner
    Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t even count the number of times I`ve picked that Meg`s kit up and put it back down. For those that require wet sanding and for those that don`t, PB`s Pro Polish and PlastX have handled anything I have.

Quote Originally Posted by ivopivo View Post
    Bill I`ve done quite a few with 600 or 800, then 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 and maybe 4000... PlastX, 106ff, and FPII have been my `finishing polishes`
    All of those steps for a single set of lenses?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I can`t even count the number of times I`ve picked that Meg`s kit up and put it back down. For those that require wet sanding and for those that don`t, PB`s Pro Polish and PlastX have handled anything I have.

All of those steps for a single set of lenses?
    Yea, they were plastic with many scratches, some yellowing, etc. You`re probably fine without all the sand paper, eliminating 800, 1500 and 4000, but that`s the way I do it.
    Ivan Rajic
    Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually for the absolute worst I`ve seen (15 y/o) 800/1500 followed by Pro Polish was all that was required. You are correct, you can make some nice turnarounds w/o using any sanding, and it really my preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to treat headlights just like paint, only sand with a more aggressive step.

Try something like Meguiar`s Uni-Grit 2000 until the defects are removed, the polish with a rotary and your favorite combinations. I really don`t use any `kits` and I don`t have any experience with the one`s we sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Actually for the absolute worst I`ve seen (15 y/o) 800/1500 followed by Pro Polish was all that was required. You are correct, you can make some nice turnarounds w/o using any sanding, and it really my preference.
    I first did this on my old car and using 800/1000/3000/polish was like polishing paint in a way... it ended up being very good looking but with a few steps in between it looked better, so that`s what I do.
    Ivan Rajic
    Chicago, Illinois

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    I tend to treat headlights just like paint, only sand with a more aggressive step.

Try something like Meguiar`s Uni-Grit 2000 until the defects are removed, the polish with a rotary and your favorite combinations. I really don`t use any `kits` and I don`t have any experience with the one`s we sell.
    Have you ever resprayed with CC?
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by biolink View Post
    Have you ever resprayed with CC?
    I`ve read several articles that stated that re-clearcoating the headlight lenses helps to prevent yellowing and hazing.

I plan to re-clear my son`s car when I get around to polishing his lenses.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a specific company that makes CC for headlights? I just worked on wifes car and got rid of some of the hazing by using Flex/105/205 and WG sealant. Turned out pretty nice, however I`m just concerned that the haze will reappear soon. Does the CC give any UV protection?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBumper View Post
    Is there a specific company that makes CC for headlights? I just worked on wifes car and got rid of some of the hazing by using Flex/105/205 and WG sealant. Turned out pretty nice, however I`m just concerned that the haze will reappear soon. Does the CC give any UV protection?
    I believe it does prevent yellowing. I have heard that they are CC`d when they are new and that the yellowing is CC failure. I have a sample light I am going to practice on this weekend. I will let ya`all know how it works. BTW the folks I have seen respray light just use clear that goes over normal auto paint. That`s what I am going to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you mean spray with a `spray paint` clear coat, I don`t know how well that will bond to the plastic. It could work, but given that the factory coating is fairly durable (and how quickly it wears away) I don`t know if this would make a significant improvement or not over using a very nice sealant.

There are some companies that make coatings specifically for headlights, that claim to be much better then OEM coating. I saw a demonstration a couple years ago of a coating that requires UV light to fully cure, but they did claim at least 10 years durability.

I also know of a couple very high level detailers who will cut clear bra film and install it over the headlights (after polishing and coating) to provide even more protection.

If you are going to spray them, sand them completely smooth with about 800 grit then, mask off everything, and spray away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    ... I don`t know if this would make a significant improvement or not over using a very nice sealant.
    Todd, What do you consider a good sealant to use? I used Klasse AIO/SG because of the cleaning properties and acrylic base. Could I have done better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information