Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Like this a lot. BMW engine`s look so nice. Engine degreasser is the only product I haven`t purchased yet for my home supplies. Not sure what to use just yet, but I think I`ll research this purple power stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    good work barry, you did a great job on your baby. did you rinse it down without covering anything i.e. spark plugs or electrical components

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Wow, beautiful engine and engine compartment, Barry ! It looks like it is better than brand new !
    I am so proud of you !!!

I use P/power too and cut it with water; it will still work but could take a little while longer to clean.

On really dirty, greasy, oily engines, I also turn the P/power up a notch, and brush some of the harder, dirtier areas.

Since I use my pressure washer to wash it down first, spray the chemical, and then pressure wash to rinse, I dont have any issues getting it clean.

The only thing I might suggest is that your engine was so clean to begin with, it might not have needed full strength cleaner, which is dangerous at that mix to the rest of the paint - it will want to remove your wax..

I usually wash the front end of the car with alot of soapy stuff and leave it on to help "protect" the finish while I spray the thing with the chemical.

Wait till your try a can of Chemical Guys Fade to Black on that bad boy - wow, that stuff is also really good, and doesnt leave a greasy, residue like some treatments do.

Again, that engine now looks like the rest of the car - Perfect - ! ! !

Dan F
    Thanks Dan.

Those are some very kind words. I appreciate the words of encouragement and the added tips. I don`t have a pressure washer, so would the fact that I am using a garden hose with a fire nozzle, make a difference on the strength of the PP?
    Quote Originally Posted by 94Canuck View Post
    Like this a lot. BMW engine`s look so nice. Engine degreasser is the only product I haven`t purchased yet for my home supplies. Not sure what to use just yet, but I think I`ll research this purple power stuff.
    Thanks.

It is really a very versitile product.
    Quote Originally Posted by glfahlc View Post
    good work barry, you did a great job on your baby. did you rinse it down without covering anything i.e. spark plugs or electrical components
    Thanks.

The plugs as well as all of the electronics are all pretty well covered in the BMW`s. I didn`t cover anything, but I tried to be careful about how much water I sprayed into the engine.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Top Notch Job Barry :wizard:

I also use Purple Power as my primary degreaser. Yes, 50/50 IMPO is just as effective as full strenght which is great. $3 a gallon is impossible to beat :soldier:

Post Thanks / Like
    Barry,

I have also used a regular hose and a brass nozzle on engines before and it works fine. If it will move the dirt and whatever else is on the parts in the compartment, that will be all you need.

I just like to use a 2.0 gpm pressure washer because it gets all kinds of stuff off the car that is particular to the Northwest - mold, little trees, composted mud and gunk in all the door and trunk jamb areas out really quickly, provided its not been in there so long you need to go to the Forestry Ranger Station to get a tree cutting permit.

I try to find Purple Power on sale and am also wondering how effective the Meguiars APC`s or Super Degreaser`s would do vs their cost..

I remembered something the other day, back when I was a kid, the most unscrupulous car places would have the guys spray down the cold engines with something like lacquer thinner to cut all the grease off, let it all dry, and then spray the entire engine with an appropriate engine color - orange for Chevrolet, blue for Ford, etc...

I am sure glad we dont have to do anything like that any longer...

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks awesome now Barry!

Post Thanks / Like
    I remembered something the other day, back when I was a kid, the most unscrupulous car places would have the guys spray down the cold engines with something like lacquer thinner to cut all the grease off, let it all dry, and then spray the entire engine with an appropriate engine color - orange for Chevrolet, blue for Ford, etc...

I am sure glad we dont have to do anything like that any longer...

Dan F
    I remember back in the day using easy off oven cleaner

Regards,

Hack #3

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Barry.

Now all you have to do after every wash is wipe it down and it should never get dirty like that again.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great indeed. :thumbup:
    Still learning....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Top Notch Job Barry :wizard:

I also use Purple Power as my primary degreaser. Yes, 50/50 IMPO is just as effective as full strenght which is great. $3 a gallon is impossible to beat :soldier:
    Thanks Flash.

You really can`t beat the value of PP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    That looks awesome now Barry!
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoZ71 View Post
    Looks great Barry.

Now all you have to do after every wash is wipe it down and it should never get dirty like that again.
    Thanks Nick.
    That will now be part of my regular wash process.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimG View Post
    Looks great indeed. :thumbup:
    Thank you sir!
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like

I usually wash the front end of the car with alot of soapy stuff and leave it on to help "protect" the finish while I spray the thing with the chemical.

Dan F
    That`s a great tip and makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information