Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Stupid brick wall, I always park there and I never think of it, I opened the door too much and it bumped into the wall and chipped a little of the paint off?

What should I do guys?

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy some touch up paint , your dealer shoult have some that is an exact match for your cars paint color.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    your on your way.weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to add some touch up clear coat on top of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Waste of money...

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    i hope not....maybe u guys knew alot about detailing before you found Autopia....but i didnt...so i could come here....do a gazillion searches....try to find thru all the different posts.+..threads all the stuff i need to know....or i could get this ebook that has it all neatly spelled out...section by section...with pictures....and links to different products that i can choose(or not) to use with each specific task....how could this $15....not alot of money be a waste of money/ripoff.....to each his own...of course....but for me....iwas essential to have something to refer back to...im not sure about everybody else but i dont always do exactly what it says...but it gives me a good idea as to how to go about a problem...to get in the right mind frame for a particular job.......

ps...and the $ went to help the WTC victims at the time i bought it........just out of curiosity.....could you just add how it is a waste of money.....just to back up your statements a little.....no big deal with disagreements...thats life...but you really have to back up your stuff with something more than that...IMHO.....and to call something a ripoff....man...you gotta back that up with something else....say someone asks about a product and what u think of it....and you respond....ripoff...it sucks....that really doesnt help anybody.....you have to say why...then the person can measure what u have to say.....ok...enough ranting for now...

i cant think of a better way then using the book and the autopia archives to become a really knowledgeable detailer....

plus....someone asks about fixing his paint......how about saying....how to fix it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know what jazzyjack was refering to , but i was refering to the clear being a waste of money , not the book.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry Andre....just that jazy posted....ebook=ripoff....then isaw your post right after it saying i agree...so that means all my venom was posted at jazzy

Post Thanks / Like
    This Ebook is a beginners guide at best. There is a lack of good pictures or "how-tos" included. It appears to be a persons attempt at getting a multi-media presentation on the internet.

Subjects such as rotary buffing are very thin on directions, or the discussion of technique. As a friend of mine said, "there should be a detailed movie of just how to do it" there is none.

The list of glossing over subjects goes on and on. Now that is not to say that in the future it will be improved upon, but for now it`s enough to get someone going with the basics at best.

Furthermore, if someone is asking money for a product, then they need to be open in being criticized no matter how few words are used in that criticism of the product.

For someone that just wants to learn the correct way to wash a car, then do a search on this forum and read threads and follow what is being said. Spend your $14.00 on products that are of good quality. If you want to learn more advanced skills in regards to detailing, go to a class and get some hands on training.

To close, this is just my take or my opinion on this matter and we all know what opinions are like. I`m not looking for popularity, but I am going to say what is in my heart so maybe one or two people don`t make the mistake I did.

Post Thanks / Like
    somewhat....i think that the how to`s are very good....for example ...as i stated i am a beginner.....i never heard of microfiber til i came here....and while the threads/posts are very good....i personally like that the book is very organized into the approach you take on how to detail a car....because i for one didnt know where to start....as for the rotary buffing...yes your right..thin....but that will be "fixed" i believe with the many upcoming updates in the next few mths....besides that....as a beginner...rotary is way out of my league for now....and...i dont have a driveway/garage...so forget that ....i know you must have seen Dave`s movie shorts that are on there way to being very detailed relating to rotary use....

you cant get more open than this forum...you got your thread put up...i only criticized the lack of facts to back it up...not out of any attempt to censor you...but...i really wanted to know.....as for the class...i cant even find a quality detailer in the NY city area....forget about a class on the subject....it always amazes me how in a huge city...i would have to go far upstate/out of state...to find a detailing provider(private Autopians excluded0 that even new what Klasse/Zaino...or anything other than 3M was...

i love to read everybodys opinions...whether i agree or not...thats how we all come to our own conclusions.....so i hope u didnt get the impression that i was saying...shut up...or dont say that....thats not what i was saying.....i can tell you....that if this last post was the one u had written....i would have just left it alone...because...big deal...but to just say that little.....and yes it is your God given right to keep it short,,,,i just felt it wasnt fair to joed the original poster....as his problem was in paint chip repair....i know that the ebook goes into great detail on this specific repair...to do it the right way....as that was the first thing i tried to do when i got the ebook...i didnt mean to attack you or give that impression....i...as u....just stated what was in my heart

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by jazzyjack [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>.... As a friend of mine said, "there should be a detailed movie of just how to do it" there is none.[/b]</blockquote>
    Perhaps you missed this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by joed1228 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Stupid brick wall, I always park there and I never think of it, I opened the door too much and it bumped into the wall and chipped a little of the paint off?

What should I do guys? [/b]</blockquote>
    First thing you should do is be happy that it was a brick wall, and not someone else`s nice car that you carelessly opened into.

Next, go to the dealer and get touchup paint. The paint code is probably listed on the doorjam or inside the engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    when i went to pick up my touch up paint from my dealer....when i ordered it he said...yeah...just come in and we`ll put in on for ya...then i show up and no one was there....of course it was a Sat so the placed was packed...a different guy winds up saying to me...look buddy...its easy...just use the brush and wipe it on...what more do you want...a video...and i was like....yeah!!!!!!!!!!!:up .....the only advice he gave me was to let my wife/girlfriend do it...because they are used to doing their nails......this after buying a $30+K car....i was so disgusted.....thats why the ebook was so cool for me ...anyway.....so maybe try to get your dealer to be a liitle better and help you out ....but either way...everybodys right...you gotta get the paint from them no matter what you do with it...

Post Thanks / Like

IPA wipedowns and paint drying, some tips...

In the past few months I have began using different dilutions of IPA/Distilled water for my wipedowns when polishing.

I have found on soft clear cars, mainly non metallics that too much alcohol in the mixture can attack the paint and cause it to haze over, giving it a dry and gray look. After looking at the paint under different lights, halogen, LED etc. you will find the clarity and depth you were expecting to see after polishing is not really there.

Too much alcohol in the mixture can also cause light marring during a wipedown, your MF can get grabby and thus result in further marring the finish, after you just polished it of course! Using more distilled water as needed will help spread the mist evenly on paint and not get grabby as seen with straight or too much alcohol in some cases.

My solution, have at least 2 or 3 different dilutions of IPA/Water mixtures to suit different finishes.

I use 91% Isopropyl alcohol in all of the bottles mixed with distilled water

My 3 bottles go as follows:

Soft clear cars, primarily non metallic black - 40% Alc 60% water

Medium clear cars, both metallic and non metallic - 70% alc 30% water

Hard clear cars, ideally metallics - 80% alc 20% water

I personally WANT to use as much alcohol in the mixture as the paint will allow to ensure im not filling and that real correction is taking place BUT certain finishes really react negatively to too much alcohol. This can cause the need for further correction steps to fix! If your using a lighter mixture of alc. and water do multiple wipe-downs to check for filling

... another solution would be to use heavy alcohol mixtures during the cutting phase of correction to ensure your not filling and lesser mixtures during the finish stages as to leave a clean, non hazed finish behind.

I brought this up because tonight I got a call from Sean at Premier Detail who is in the process of correcting a non metallic black Infiniti G35. Sean and I have spoken before about all sorts of stuff and I really respect his work and his dedication to correction. I could tell he was really frustrated with G35, he called to bounce some ideas and everything he had done thus far is similar or the same as what I would have done for that car.

He explained the car was in terrible shape, lots of correction needed etc. and as per usual with black infiniti paint it was non finishing down 100% as he wanted.

We went over the steps used, pads etc. trying to find a solution. He said the car still had a hazy finish left even after Menzerna 85rd on a soft finishing pad, both with rotary and DA machines.

I thought for a second and remembered when I had a similar problem with an older black Porsche. I asked him how much alcohol he was using in his mixture and he said straight!

I told him to cut that at least 50% with distilled water as to not dry out the paint and re-finish a panel. He texted me later to tell me the altered mix of IPA and water helped solve his problem.

Sometimes the tiniest variables account for the biggest difference. Im very glad he called as not too long ago I was in the very same position.

:thumb:
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information