Post Thanks / Like
    When I applied Z5 to my wife`s car, I inadvertntly coverevd 2 water spots. Will claying the area remove the spots? For that matter, will clay remove any contaminates that have been sealed in by Z5/Z2? Thanks for your help!
    1999 Mercedes ML 430...Black

Post Thanks / Like
    No, clay will not remove Z2/Z5.

Just dampen a soft cotton towel with a bit of rubbing alcohol and remove the Zaino in the spotted area. Allow to dry, then Z1/Z2 or Z5 as normal.
    2002 Torch Red Corvette convertible

1997 Red/Tan Expedition

1993 Red Eclipse (wife`s)

Zaino - tried it...loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    to get rid of the water spots, and rezaino the panel

Post Thanks / Like

Barrier protection from foundation dampness

Until we have the luxury of radiant heat in the floors, we currently place a huge 1 piece tarp underneath the car for winter storage to guard against dampness coming from the floor and entering the undercarriage. We have seen a 1 piece rubber type piece of floor mat at Costco that is about 7` x 12` feet that we were considering buying for $179.00 which is probaby 1/8" thick. It seems like it would protect but seems kind of pricey IMO. We also saw much thicker 3/4" rubber mats at Farm N Fleet that are actually used for cows but many ppl buy them for the purposes not related to livestock at all. These mats are about 4`x7` so you would need to place them closely to each other and they are not interlocking. My question is do you think dampness would still get through these small cracks when placed together (could maybe slide an envelope through the crack) or is the 1 piece better? Any other suggestions are welcome. Please answer asap and I planned to go buy this item today if I get a thumbs up from people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how the rubber would work but could you use a water seal on the cement and then top coat with an epoxy garage floor paint?

I used the water seal on my outdoor undergroud pump pit which is made of concrete blocks and there has never been seepage of any kind. The top coat of expoxy would give another layer of protection and a nice appearance.

TOGWT
    The `Storage Bubble` (vehicle and bike long term storage) uses an 18oz Vinyl Laminated Fabric, try a google search

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to mention that one of the purposes is for a daily driver so the bubble would not work but thanks!

TOGWT
    Quote Originally Posted by mmiciunas@comcast.net View Post
    Forgot to mention that one of the purposes is for a daily driver so the bubble would not work but thanks!
    Then I would install an epoxy coating finish to the floor.

BTW_ I mentioned the `Bubble` in terms of the flooring material used

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I`m missing something. It sems to me you would get the undercarriage wetter just going to the grocery store in the rain 1 time. Then 12 months worth of water coming up thru your concrete...What am I missing here

mm@comcast, you really have gotten obsessed with this illness..I likey ancing Dot:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Maybe I`m missing something. It sems to me you would get the undercarriage wetter just going to the grocery store in the rain 1 time. Then 12 months worth of water coming up thru your concrete...What am I missing here

mm@comcast, you really have gotten obsessed with this illness..I likey ancing Dot:
    Yes, I guess I have the detail illness bad! Just not much else to do while waiting for spring to start detailing again! I loved cleaning cars since I was a kid. Anyway, we know of a car that really rusted away even though it was garaged and taken care of. We can`t figure out why and want to avoid the new car getting rusted out the same way. The garage is set up on a hill and not sure if the gravel under the concrete lets moisture up into the floor. We are guessing and just wondered if anybody ever puts any material on their garage floors, even for daily drivers, as a barrier for dampness. Maybe there is no real answer but I know stores sell stuff for this...just think it`s pricey at Costco for what I`ve seen for 1/8" thickness for $179.00. Maybe cause this car gets driven and the salt drops on the floor then the car sits in it. Though maybe that rubber can protect it somewhat. This is not our car, just one we want to help protect.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about finding the source of the moisture and eliminating it if possible?
    Is this a new slab concrete floor? If so, these will leach out moisture for awhile until all the water escapes the slab.
    I had this in my Shed and put a small electric heater in there that had a heat sensor so it turned off and on as it needed at the preset temp.
    I also cracked the windows just a tiny bit to allow the heated air to escape and after awhile all the moisture was gone. This was a fully insulated and drywalled shed, as good as any house, so it was pretty darn airtight.
    You might consider getting air movement in that garage as this would dry up the moisture which is what you really need to do to keep things from getting rusted. Dont believe rust can survive without moisture, so remove the moisture and there should be very little to no rust if you ask me...

Good luck with this.
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a pressure washer?

If so, then just blast the undercarriage every couple of weeks or after each snow/ice storm

If you don`t have one, then either get one or go to the DIY and sling some quarters

TOGWT
    Far be it for me to encourage OCD behaviour...

Undercarriage Cleaning & Care

Your vehicle?s undercarriage; it?s what you don`t see that silently awaits underneath your cars. Removing sprayed brine solution to protect your undercarriage is just as important as detailing the paint. Wheel wells, sub-frame, springs, fender well and all of the other black and gray parts underneath the body need detailing too. A quick spray of Bare Bones Spray not only adds a durable long lasting shine, it also repels dirt but can also hide dirty spots and discoloration between parts, while enhancing any detail .It is possible to do this detail with the wheels on and just jacking the car up, but the ideal way is with the wheels off.

Never go underneath a car supported by the supplied jack - always use axle stands if you wish to work underneath the car. Always jack the car up at the manufacturer`s recommended jacking points. Ensure the jack is in stable contact with both the jacking point (see owner`s manual) and the ground. Always work on level ground.

After removing dirt, road grime, and etc with a pressure washer (Karcher Model K5.93M) neutralise the effects of the alkaline sprayed brine solution on the suspension, wheel wells and the undercarriage (See also Road salt)

Methodology
    1. Thoroughly spray an undiluted citrus cleaner (P2IS Total Auto Wash) and let it soak in; remove by thoroughly rinsing with water. If you have a pressure washer available, fill tank with citrus cleaner and spray undercarriage (do not use excess pressure as water may penetrate crevices and seams where it cannot drain, causing corrosion), let it soak and then remove with plain water. Allow to thoroughly dry and then...
    2. Spray undercarriage with ValuGard?s part B Alkaline Neutralizer (part of their decontamination system) pH 1.0 that is a blend of acids, which deep cleans painted surfaces to remove alkaline deposits and safely dissolves the alkaline salt particles bond with the paint so that they can be rinsed away. Allow product to dwell for 5-7 minutes. All necessary safety precautions should be taken whilst using this product
    3. Rinse vehicle thoroughly and then apply Chemical Guys Bare Bones, spray over the entire area and wipe in well with an old towel, .one application will leave no residues, noxious fumes or flammable solvents. Makes plastic and rubber look new again, shines painted surfaces, and keeps aluminium and anodized parts from corroding.
    4. Protection; apply POR-15 Marine Clean? and then two coats of a rust inhibitor paint (POR-15) allow each coat to dry

An extract from one of a series of unbiased ?Detailing Technical Papers? ? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for your input and ideas! Very helpful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    How about finding the source of the moisture and eliminating it if possible?
    Is this a new slab concrete floor? If so, these will leach out moisture for awhile until all the water escapes the slab.
    I had this in my Shed and put a small electric heater in there that had a heat sensor so it turned off and on as it needed at the preset temp.
    I also cracked the windows just a tiny bit to allow the heated air to escape and after awhile all the moisture was gone. This was a fully insulated and drywalled shed, as good as any house, so it was pretty darn airtight.
    You might consider getting air movement in that garage as this would dry up the moisture which is what you really need to do to keep things from getting rusted. Dont believe rust can survive without moisture, so remove the moisture and there should be very little to no rust if you ask me...

Good luck with this.
    Dan F
    Wow Dan your full of all kinda usefull info ^ If I could rep u I would :notworthy:

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Far be it for me to encourage OCD behaviour...

An extract from one of a series of unbiased ?Detailing Technical Papers? ? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.
    Who You ^ Obssessed.....You wrote the book on it :wizard:

This stuff must really drive you crazy, as Intelligent and all that you are. Sometimes I am so greatfull for my Ignorance ancing Dot:

TOGWT you are a tremendous asset to Truth In Detailing. I have learned more from you then any other person on any other site. You are Tha Man :

Quote Originally Posted by mmiciunas@comcast.net View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input and ideas! Very helpful!
    Hey, no problem ^ I love bizzare/ out of the box thinking :w00t:

Got anymore ideas/questions :toetap05:

Thread Information