Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    After many years of poor body posture / mechanics from working on my cars, trucks, boat, and just about everything else around the house, my back has finally started to let me know that it doesn`t like the constant bending, etc.. So, in order to help relieve the problem, I`m interested if any of you have tried any of the pneumatic detailing stools like the pic from Griots. I`ve been trying to improve my body posture during detailing, but you know how it goes,,,,,its tuff to teach an old dog new tricks.

Good thing my garage doesn`t fall under the OSHA ergonomic standard....lol. Please, any feedback or suggestions you may have on different types of stools, or your opinion on if they are any good, worth the money, would be very, very helpful. As always, thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody use a stool?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use one when I`m working with 3M FI2 or some other product that will keep me in one spot for a while. I`ve got an old comercial office step stool that has wheels and ends up being just about the right height. I`ve thought about getting one of the pnuematic stools like you show, but have chosen to spend the money on other stuff for now. I`ll try to post a phot of mine in a couple of days. Just got done refinishing it. Also made a small tool creeper that I can pull around with me.

Griot`s had some pretty cool stools on their site. I just use kneepads with the plastic guards for when I`m working down low. I just slide around on `em.

Post Thanks / Like
    beau -- you know, you are openning yourself up to some good ribbing by telling us you go around with knee pads on

Re: wheeled stools. I bought one of these. If you go on the net there are MANY models. There are even models with a drawer and a shelf under the drawer. There is a model with a swing out shelf.

I bought a simple one from Griot`s before I knew of the fancy ones. It`s <em class=`bbc`>great[/i]. I would not be without it. Buy one!

Now, if I am working in my driveway, which is narrow, the wheeled stool does not work, because there is grass on each side of this narrow drive way the the stools wheels don`t work well on grass. So, I bought an Ames Lawn Buddy for about $28 -- it`s now on sale at Home Deport for $19.95 (!). It has big, fat wheels, so it does fine in dirt and on grass.

These aides last a long time and are well worth the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, not the best quality, but it does show my step stool and tool creeper. The creeper cost all of $6 for some casters. I had the chrome drawer pulls and the plywood laying around the shop. I also plan on making a small cushion to go on the top step so my butt doesn`t get too sore.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...033&p=53963086

Post Thanks / Like
    from Whiteside. Whiteside is the OEM for Griot`s and numerous other tool companies. They have many cool seats and creepers.

http://www.whitesidemfg.com/product_frame.htm:up
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    I love that creeper tom p.. Such a slick concept:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I`m wasting my Sunday evening, do you have any dynamic GIF`s of a really cool step ladder. I`m tall, but Navigators, minivans, and Expeditions give me all I want. Just wondering.
    2002 Torch Red Corvette convertible

1997 Red/Tan Expedition

1993 Red Eclipse (wife`s)

Zaino - tried it...loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    in my search for a ladder.

1997 Red/Tan Expedition

Post Thanks / Like
    SteveL - does that step stool roll around on wheels, until you step on it, then the wheels retract? Where did you buy it. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Cybercowboy [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Since I`m wasting my Sunday evening, do you have any dynamic GIF`s of a really cool step ladder. I`m tall, but Navigators, minivans, and Expeditions give me all I want. Just wondering. [/b]</blockquote>

Here ya go:

from Griot`s Garage for $140.

<em class=`bbc`>THIS GERMAN MADE PLATFORM PROVIDES YOU WITH A SAFE & STABLE HEIGHT IN ALL WORKING SITUATIONS

Finding it hard to wax the top of your car or SUV? How about loading all of your gear on the top of the Suburban? Want a stable platform to do just about anything safely? In times like these I grab this German made, 18 1/2" high, sturdy platform. Made of strong, lightweight aluminum, this platform can support up to 330 pounds yet weighs only 16 1/2 pounds. The legs fold out and lock into place with two very secure swing-style levers painted in "high visibility" red. The large 12" wide by 40" long, non-skid surface gives you plenty of room to move around on. This platform increases your reach in a totally stable and safe manner. So versatile you can even use it on steps! When you`re done, simply fold up the legs and store it in a closet or cabinet. Closed dimensions are 16" x 40 1/2" by 7" thick. A wonderful item no garage or detail maniac should be without. Made for you in Germany. Add $10.00 to normal shipping charges.[/i]

P/N 91544
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s the ticket. I`m ordering one today.

1997 Red/Tan Expedition

Post Thanks / Like

EXTREME detailing- Rocky Mountain Style

We had a pretty warm November here in Utah, not much in the way of snow either. Well a cold front came in and they are predicting snow through Tuesday so I guess winter`s here now.
    Detailing here can be dicey sometimes because of our weather. And winters are long and lonely. I still try to work whenever the conditions allow, even in the dead of winter. Today was one of those days.....
    6am wakeup...check the outside temp...-4 degrees(yes that`s a minus sign there, as in below zero). Ahhhh, a beautiful day to do a detail outside. I had a full detail on a minivan scheduled and with snow on the way I wanted to get it in as I won`t be able to do it next week. So I arrived at their place about 11am.....a balmy 24 degrees by now. No matter as long as the sun is out I`m good. The owner says, " man you`re a glutton for punishment!" and I smile and say,"I surely appreciate your business and want to get you ready before the storms come in".

It`s just a minivan, so no pics neccesary. I have become pretty good at these cold weather jobs so I thought I would list of few tips for people that might want to squeeze a detail in this winter. So all you guys in Fla. that only have to worry about alligators in your pools, this may not be helpful, sorry.

Try to work from about 11am-3pm. This is the warmest part of the day. Sun makes a huge difference, I can work better with 20 degrees and sun than 35 degrees and clouds. The sun warms the metal on the car above the outside temp so you can wash it without icing. I keep 1 side of the vehicle to the sun, wash it and turn the vehicle and wash the other side in the sun as well. Then I dry the sunny side, spin the car and after dry the other side. A trick here is to wash it somewhere first, then back it up to a fresh spot to complete the detail. This keeps you from slipping on the ice rink you just made from washing. Make sure to back it up enough... as today I backed it up and got out and fell right on my ass because I stopped a little short and was still on the ice!

For the interior I try to position the car so that the sun shines in when the doors are open. I do the interior first, using the VX5000 steamer on these days is key. There is very little moisture left after this compared to my extractor. After the inside is done I start the car and run the heater full blast, crack one back window a little to help vent the moisture. I then do the exterior, usually a 1 step like Klasse AIO. No major paint corrections at this temp! By the time I`m finishing the outside, the inside is dry.

Also forget your aerosols on these days as the cold makes them just spit. I have a trigger sprayer for my glass cleaner just for this. I also open my tool box with that side of my truck facing the sun so the sun keeps all my products warmer than if they are on the shady side. It actually helps more than you`d think. Make sure to drain all your hoses etc. and you may need to bring any wet brushes inside to dry properly.

Anyway, there you go, next time you think it`s too cold to detail remember you just need to get EXTREME!
    Rich Ross
    ROCKY MOUNTAIN MOBILE DETAIL
    Huntsville, Utah

WEWAXEM!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m pretty comfortable down to about 32 degrees and sunny. As you stated, the sun warms the paint and makes it a little nicer for detailing.

Way to represent the Detailing Community! Even winter can`t stop us!!!:clap:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information