Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veterans Day

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning to all,

In about a week I should be taking delivery of a new car painted black. My question is, is there something that I can do to ensure that the car is going to look good for some time.

My biggest problem is that I do not have a garage and time is always very short. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome...

Your question is so overwhelmingly broad that it may get little response. Narrow it down a bit and the answers will start flying in.

First set some parameters for yourself...what are your goals? You want to wax and forget it? Do you park outside? Know the differences between carnuba and sealants? Do you own proper detailing tools? Are you willing to invest time on a regular basis? Etc.Etc.

Check the FAQ. This will set you on the right path then come back with more specific questions.

Again, welcome!

[Edited by Brad B. on 08-17-2001 at 06:01 AM]
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Ummm, Brad (of Sanctuary fame and legend) -- hello!?

He said he does not have a garage. So I am betting otherBrad parks outside. And time is short.

So, here`s what I think for best protection and good enough looks with the least investment of time or money.

1. Don`t let the dealer do ANYTHING to the car. Not even wash it! What kind of car, by the way?

2. Buy a clay kit, Klasse All In One, any car wash shampoo, a wash mitt, some foam applicators and five Miracle Towels from CMA, the site`s sponsor.

3. Buy 2 five gallon buckets from a local place.

4. Clay the car, wash it, All In One it. Get technique details from the archives or ask questions.

5. Done for 6 to 9 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad,

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have a garage, and finding a covered location is extremely difficult. However I do get some shade in the late afternoon so it looks like I will be doing my work then.

As for the amount of materials I have, I must admit to being a newbie. Pep Boys has kept me stocked with Megulier`s (sp?) products for most of the time but as for proper tools, I would have to say no. I do not believe that I will go out and spend $$$ on an orbital buffer or some other product like that. However while reading through some of the posts around here, it seems that I do not need such items.

As I said before time is crucial but I normally work on my current vehicle once every two weeks to keep it clean, however I think I can commit to once a week working on the car.

I was leaning towards the Zaino products for the new car. I am from Pittsburgh so does anyone of a distributor from around here.

Thanks to all,

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, but would substitute a "Klasse twins" package (AIO and Sealant Glaze) for just the AIO.

blue skies,

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Great responses,

The car by the way is a 2002 Nighthawk Black Acura RSX Type-S

Brad Gross (now being called the "otherBrad" )

Post Thanks / Like
    My goal for this car is to attempt as best as possible to keep the car looking "showroom" condition. However will I be capable of keeping the car looking as good as some of the cars on this site? Probably not. As this will be the daily driver I cannot expect miracles.

Thanks for all the advice so far,

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Hook, obviously I would also go with a couple of coats of SG. And now that I know the car, I definitely recommend that you do so also, otherBrad.

I was giving the BARE minimum for a new guy.

oB, the XJR pic in my signature is Klasse AIO, Klasse SG with a carnauba top coat. The racing green is so dark that it acts a lot like black.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are already leaning toward Zaino you will not be disappointed. Purchasing a "system" of supplies is easy.

Get:

Z1 Polish Lok: this preps the surface for proper bonding.
    Z2 Show Car Polish
    Z5 Polish for swirl marks
    Z6 Gloss Enhancer spray (quick detailer)

Thats the basics for the finish.

Z16 Tire Gloss is also great.

For maintenance down the road (especially since no garage) get a clay bar. The Z18 clay bar is among the best. I just used it for the first time recently and was very impressed.

Zaino is available mailorder. See http://www.zainobros.com

For all your detailing tools and cleaners, etc check out the Autopia site. Microfiber towels, applicators, etc.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    MichaelB,

What is the benefit of doing the carnuba wax as a top coat to the Klass?

B

Post Thanks / Like
    I must stress getting zaino car wash Z7 as part of the system. If you want to start out small, till zaino proves itself to you, get

Z1, Z5 (because u have black), Z6 and Z7. The car wash is amazing....it really adds slickness and gloss wash after wash and prolongs zaino life. You will find that a zainoed car is very easy to maintain and after each wash looks like you just detailed it! Zainobros.com has a lot of info and tips, or you could post questions here.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    It was my understanding that Z2 should be my preferred wax for the car and to use z5 if i see swirls. Am I wrong on that?

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    BradGross: First thing I would do is tell the dealership NOT to clean it, buff it, wax it, do *ANYTHING* other than inspect it. It`s been the consensus of me and many of my peers on VWVortex atleast that the dealerships seem to like to "professionally install swirl marks". (Basically what michaelb said)

Post Thanks / Like
    that fills swirls. Z2 is supposed to have higher optics. Peoples opinions differ...some like Z2, and some like Z5 better depending on the color of the car. They are very close though, and will give great results. I would start with the Z5....on a black car, you will always have some swirls.........And you can always add Z2 later on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Detailking, I forgot the Z7 car wash. Great stuff. I would make that part of the must-have list if you decide to go the Zaino route.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information