Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veterans Day

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a car cover on my car. Like DK said, the car should be clean when you put the cover on so that you dont scratch the paint. Also if you get a cover, get one that is washable. That way you can wash the cover at home. By keeping the cover clean you will limit the chances of damage occuring to the paint.

I use my cover for winter use. To keep the snow and crud off of it when I can`t put it in the garage. As with anything, you get what you pay for. Dont get some crap cover from a auto parts store, they will do more harm than good. Get a quality cover. But, good covers can be expensive. Depending on which material you want, and the size of your car, the price can get in to the $300-$400 range quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many good car covers out there. Look into Noah or the car cover from Griots for a start. Do a search and see what else you can come up with. I use mine outside quite regularly and am extremely pleased with it. No problems. Look into one. As for the car needing to be clean, just use a quality quick detailer and you will have no problems. Laters. Zaino is probably fine but Klasse is something that I would also look into. There are so many satisfied users of this product here. Laters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take your time! You can buy the best products money can buy , but if you don`t take your time and learn how to use them correctly , they will not do you any good. It will take some time to learn how to use the products. We all have our way of doing things , and and so will you. We all have our favorite products , and so will you. Use what you think will be the best for for you. Good luck
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of good advice.

The other brad said that one of the limitations was that he did not have a lot of time. I think this rules out keeping a top coat of wax on the car. Given that, its either AIO and SG, or Zaino. I happen to like the Z, because you can layer it, and, as DK says, the Z7 wash helps replenish the Z2/Z5, postponing the need to do new coats of Z2/Z5, but, as most of us say, you cannot go wrong with either.

To re-enforce what DetailKing said, Z does not take that long AND there is NO elbow grease involved. Easy on, easy off.

As to drying, it depends on your climate. I would guess you would not have much of a problem most anywhere here in the US, during the summer. Of course, you could be in a more humid climate. But, as DK says, just make sure to apply thin coats, and, as another poster said, you can do the interior, tires, etc. while the Z dries. During the summer, in a dry climate, it should dry real fast. Speaking of interiors, as soon as I get a new car, I like to apply protectants to the interior BEFORE it gets dirty. I Scotchguard all fabric and carpets immediately. It works better on virginly clean materials. Apply suitable protectants to the vinyl, etc. all before they get their initial dirtiness. If you have leather, condition it.

I think that it is essential to use a car cover if you have no garage. DK`s point on putting a dirty cover on a car is well taken. Don and Showroom`s solutions match mine. If you keep the car covered except when it is in motion, then, depending on your climate, it is not going to get very dirty, especially during the summer.

This is controversial, and I can only do it because the car is kept undercover for 22-23 hours a day, but I LIGHTLY run a California duster over it (shaking out the Duster between every two strokes), then do a QD, every evening, right before putting the cover on. The cover therefore gets put on a clean car. To be safe, rinse the cover while it is in place on the car once a week (leave it on to dry) and I wash the cover periodically, as needed.

Lastly, the first advice you were given on telling the dealer to do nothing is correct. However, you must go two steps further. Send him a fax, email, or letter, immediately, putting your instructions in writing. Then, a few hours before he is supposed to get the car, CALL and repeat the instructions and make sure that YOU talk to the actual person who would be ordering/not ordering the car to be washed. This may sound overly paranoid, but people forget and the person you talk to could get distracted, etc. and your instruction could never be relayed. And, my friends on this site are correct, there is a likelihood the dealer will swirl the paint if they prep the car. Mine did.

Tell him to prep the interior, but not to touch the paint, at all. Nothing. He will have trouble believeing this and will tend to think you really don`t mean it. Tell you want it to have the road dirt on it. Tell him why. You have to tell him that if the car is clean, you will not take delivery.

[Edited by darbh on 08-18-2001 at 10:46 AM]

Post Thanks / Like
    darbh and others,

I feel like I opened a can of worms with this thread. All of which is EXCELLENT! You folks are chock full of info that would have taken me YEARS to come up with. So for that I want to say THANKS!

I am going to see my dealer today because apparently the car was supposed to be here this week but is not. Yesterday he informed me that it missed the boat and is still sitting on the dock in Japan. Major bummer indeed. So I am going to try to do some investigation into facilitating a dealer trade. I`m desparate to pick up a new car. I can`t wait any longer. I hope all understand.

Okay now back to the thread issue- (aside over)

I would hate for all this info to disappear in the archive. Perhaps our esteemed moderator (hint hint) could write up a new car/newbie FAQ incorporating all these comments? Just a thought but I did a search for "new car" and came up with nothing and this is good stuff.

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    What is a good leather conditioner and how often do you apply it?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The Pinnacle leather conditioner is good but very pricey. Others that are favorites here are Lexol, Zaino leather conditioner and of course the Eagle One leather conditioner. There are quite a few advocates of this latter product. Its very inexpensive and you can find it at many local stores. It softens up the seats very well and leaves a very nice scent. The only problem minimal problem with this and the Zaino conditioner is that it does leave the seats a bit slippery for a few days. Not a big thing but slightly annoying. So try using a moistened towel afterwards to help minimize this effect. Laters.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use Eagle One Leather Conditioner about 3 times a year. I use Eagle One Leather cleaner and 303 Aerospace once every 4-5 weeks.

Many other people had sucess with Zaino, Pinnacle, and Leatherique.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wipe the leather down with a soft MF towel, lightly dampened with distilled water, every couple weeks. I lightly condition the leather with Zaino conditioner every month to two months. I use the Zaino cleaner on the leather every four-six months.

Keeping the leather conditioned is important. As to the conditioner, TraderAlex1 on Edmunds.com says that the auto leather makers ("tanners") have tested all the national brands, extensively, and have found them all to be basically OK. He suggests to use what you like.

An idea has been circulating that you should not use products containing oils on modern auto leathers. All modern auto leathers have a "top coat" applied by the tanners per the auto maker`s specifications. The top coat is designed to accomplish various purposes, protect the leather, etc. The idea is that products containing oils will break down the top coat.

TraderAlex1 posts on Edmunds.com. He is a dealer is hides. I asked him about this. TradeAlex1 wrote a long piece in response, politely refuting the idea. http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/We...2@.ee99490/450 He has pointed out that 1. hides come from animals and they naturally have oils and fats in them (fats, which exist in hides, are simply oils that are solid at room temperature) 2. products containing oil -- which many national brands do -- have been tested by the tanners and they are OK. In fact, one of the big three tanners, Eagle Ottawa, sells a product, Tanners Preserve, that has oil.

Be aware, however, that certain oils, particularly straight oils like mink oil or neatsfoot oils, can perminantly darken the leather, and not always in a consistent manner. So, although I use mink oil on leather goods I make (as a hobby) those leathers are vegetable dyed and they are black to begin with. I would never use straight mink oil on light leather or modern auto leather, particularly if it was a light color leather. I guess you could use it on black, but, man, you`d have to let it sit awhile -- maybe a few days -- to let it soak in throughly. I`d go with a blended product, a leather conditioner.

TraderAlex1 says that while it is not horrible to use a combination cleaner/conditioner, it is better to use seperate products.

A big enemy of the leather is light, particularly UV, which is one reason why 303 protectant is popular on this site. Keeping your car garaged and covered when it is out of a garage is one of the best things you can do for the leather (and the car). This is also a reason to tint the windows (to cut down on the light and UV).

Lastly, NEVER use saddle soap on modern auto leather. Saddle soap does work on saddle leather, which is vegetable tanned. Most modern leather is chrome tanned and saddle soap does not work well with it. Use a leather cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good thought out post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also think about getting your hands on some 303 for your vinyl.

Enjoy your RSX-S...i test drove one the other day and im still drooling over it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Don. Given your seniority, and the wisdom of your posts, I appreciate your acknowledgement.

Post Thanks / Like
    im a big fan of the Griots Garage interior cleaner for all the surfaces, leather included, then using 303 to protect and preserve the leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    The RSX-S is a blast. The car is just a hoot from 3500 to the redline. The first 500 miles are going to be real tough keeping my foot off of the accelerator. I`m excited because I pick up the car on Thursday. This just means that this will be the LONGEST WEEK OF MY LIFE

Anyway, picked up the eagle 1 leather conditioner, 3 foam applicators, a new wash mit, and some miracle towels from Pep Boys. They were having a sale on these towels like 5 bucks a piece. I`m going to give them a whirl and then if they don`t do the job, I`ll pick up some better quality ones.

What about a bug and tar remover? any ideas?

And while I`m at it, my wife`s vents smell of something terrible. I think that a fungus is starting to grow in there. Any ideas on how to get the smell out?

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    The A/C vent maybe mold and mildew, do a search of this forum and you are bound to find a thread on removing this smell. Ozium is regarded as something that will remove this smell from the vents.

As for bug and tar remover, I have no experince with them because the typical paint cleanser removed the bugs and tar I deal with. I have heard good things about that Pinnacle tar and bug sponge and Porsche Tech Equipment bug and tar remover (but mostly for bugs.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information