Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t that stuff(Slop...Urrrh,I mean Armor All) cause loads of dust to be attracted to it :doh:

I have always just hosed it down and then use a soft tire brush dipped in my bucket I use for engines/jams/wheels. Its a mixture of Dawn and Purple Power.Afterwards rinse thouroughly :sarge

Mercedes Benz has 1 of the best Hood Pads going. That is, untill it gets old and brittle. Then its just a big ole mess

Sometimes, Replacement is the answer and very doable even for a novice :soldier:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Doesn`t that stuff(Slop...Urrrh,I mean Armor All) cause loads of dust to be attracted to it :doh:
    The simple answer. No. After a few hours, dry to the touch.

Many people think that AA Tire Foam attracts dust. I can`t explain it, but it just doesn`t. A lot of people say that Zaino attracts dust too, but I have found the opposite to be true.:wink:

I started using this method on my 2001 Grand Prix, 9 years ago. My son now owns that car and he continues to spray the pad with AATF every couple months, wipes with an old towel and it looks as good today as it did when I drove it home new.:cornut:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info on this subject. Always wondered how to make the pad look good without harming it. Best of all, when you`re done with the pad, you can use the rest of the AATF like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EvOv-h7InY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbigcog View Post
    Best of all, when you`re done with the pad, you can use the rest of the AATF like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EvOv-h7InY
    Yow! One drawback to YouTube, every jamok with a video camera is now an expert instructor of something. I`m surprised he didn`t use it on the windows too :yawn:

TL <--- heading to the garage to video AATF on my motorcycle seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info on this subject. Always wondered how to make the pad look good without harming it. Best of all, when you`re done with the pad, you can use the rest of the AATF like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EvOv-h7InY
    Not sure I would tire foam the interior of any vechile???

Interesting first post by the way.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoZ71 View Post
    Not sure I would tire foam the interior of any vechile???

Interesting first post by the way.
    Haha... Yeah, some guys get carried away with the Tire Foam! Next they`ll be foaming the whole car and telling us that it protects the finish!!!
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    Haha... Yeah, some guys get carried away with the Tire Foam! Next they`ll be foaming the whole car and telling us that it protects the finish!!!
    You mean it doesn`t?!? :doh::doh::doh::doh:

TL <--- was gonna AATF the house next

Post Thanks / Like
    Does spraying Armor-All on the pad classify as "Cleaning" or is it more of a cover-up :doh:

Post Thanks / Like
    Does spraying Armor-All on the pad classify as "Cleaning" or is it more of a cover-up :doh:
    Some Tire Foams do have cleaning ability, I know Meguiars Tire Foam does. Not sure about Armor All Tire Foam but I think Bill mentioned somwhere in this thread that most tire foams do in fact have cleaning ability.

I do agree with Bill when he says that this seems to be the only solution for underhood pads. Everything else I have tried has simply not worked. I will keep using this method as it works great and the customer loves the underhood pad looking like new. :hurray:
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoZ71 View Post
    Some Tire Foams do have cleaning ability, I know Meguiars Tire Foam does. Not sure about Armor All Tire Foam but I think Bill mentioned somwhere in this thread that most tire foams do in fact have cleaning ability.

I do agree with Bill when he says that this seems to be the only solution for underhood pads. Everything else I have tried has simply not worked. I will keep using this method as it works great and"the customer is happy" :hurray:
    I suppose at the end of the day thats all that matters ^ :

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes & Yes!

AATF has both cleaning power and masking characteristics.

The problem is, if you scrub the pad hard enough to get it really CLEAN, it deteriorates the "fabric" or whatever it is... it just shreds.

So you have to be gentle on it or it will rip to shreds.

So I spray the foam, scrub lightly with a soft tire brush, wipe "dry" with an old bath towel and, as Nick stated, the customer is happy!:biggrin:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool *ArmorAll Tire Foam Does Work/;O]*

Hello All/
    Well,last Thursday,I finally tried Bill`s recommendation about the Tire Foam
    on the wife`s 2005 Eclipse Hood Liner.I did what he said,and it came out like new.../:wizard:/ancing Dot:.
    The only thing I didn`t do was use my Soft Tire Brush,to help work it in.I forgot,:toetap05:.BUT,it came out 99.9/10% fantastic.
    I love it,and will do my 1998/Saturn SC/2 when it comes back from a paint job.Just wanted to let the Guys know
    and a *Special Thanx To Bill* for that great tip.Very Impressed.Take Care.
    Best Regards/
    Raymond
    *It`s Nice To Be Important* But It`s *More Important To Be Nice*[Quote from a Very Dear Friend & Ex~Boss:*Mr.Joseph Minieri*] R.I.P.Always/
    May God Bless & Keep *Our Troops Safe/ 24~7*/:angel:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Raymond... well thanks for the nice endorsement of the "Luster-Method"!! :

I kind of discovered it by accident. I was cleaning an engine compartment and I was using AATF on the rubber hoses, then wiping them to a nice sheen.

I spotted some "chalky" white residue on the hood pad and thought: "Maybe I just give that a shot of FOAM!"

Worked. :thumbup::thumbup:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile *Kudos*

Hey Raymond... well thanks for the nice endorsement of the "Luster-Method"!! :

I kind of discovered it by accident. I was cleaning an engine compartment and I was using AATF on the rubber hoses, then wiping them to a nice sheen.

I spotted some "chalky" white residue on the hood pad and thought: "Maybe I just give that a shot of FOAM!"

Worked. :thumbup::thumbup:
    ****************^^^^^^^^^^^^^****************
    Mornin` Bill/
    I`m glad you *Endorsed* it...lol./.I`ve tried a couple of other
    things in the past,but either didn`t work or ruined the Pad.
    It definately helps add to the cleanliness of the Engine compartment.
    Thanx Again/:Car smiley:Have a Nice WeekEnd.
    Regards/
    Raymond
    *It`s Nice To Be Important* But It`s *More Important To Be Nice*[Quote from a Very Dear Friend & Ex~Boss:*Mr.Joseph Minieri*] R.I.P.Always/
    May God Bless & Keep *Our Troops Safe/ 24~7*/:angel:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Here`s another one a little out of the box...just remove it.
    I`m with this idea. Mines been removed for years with no ill effects. Had a new hood (only to switch hood styles) put on the car over a year ago and had the inside of the hood painted, cleared and polished as good as the outside just because I don`t use the liner. No problems with it either. Also, the plastic drip tray on the inside of the new hood rests really close to the hot supercharger when the hood is closed. It takes the engine heat without warping or melting. I imagine mine gets hotter than a stock one too since I turn the supercharger faster with a smaller pulley and run headers (factory manifolds have a ton of heat shielding on them). Unless there`s an engine fire, I think the paint will be fine. But lets not mention engine fires in a Grand Prix. :doh:

Mirrors are removed for flight.

No problem! I used to hang out with a guy who used Tire Foam for EVERYTHING! And I quote: "You won`t believe how much cleaning power AA Tire Foam has."

He would soak a dirty engine with Tire Foam and when he wiped it off..... looked brand new!
    Jeff? I bolded "used to" because if Jeff is who you were referring too, you guys should get together again. You two were always comedic genius together. haha

The guy in the vid.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information