Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone ever apply AIO with the terry covered pads? Thought this may give a more aggressive surface versus foam. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would tend to think that the MF pads would be just as absorbant as the terry. You have found them to differ? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Never another aluminum hood, acorn damage

Well the dw parked under a oak tree at work-in fairness I never would have thought about it either-and the results are ugly.
    There must be 25 very noticeable dings caused by acorns, and very small ones at that, and if I had not had to remove about a dozen from the corners of the hood I may never have realized what did the damage.

Its an `07 Subaru Forester, Sports XT, this unbelieveable car has the WRX engine, and an aluminum hood with scoop. I never thought much about the disadvantages of aluminum for the hood, or rather the disadvantage of thin aluminum used for the hood...

Getting pictures is going to be tough but I will give it a try tomorrow afternoon.

What the heck is going to happen in a hail storm?

Would anyone venture a guess if the clear bra material over the entire hood would add enough impact resistance to help in the future?

And to top it all off, we have a $500 deductable.

Spread the word, aluminum is trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Director > And I thought this was another Aacorn debacle.....:yawn:

Yea you don`t have to tell me, last year I had 2-40 and 60 year old walnut trees taken down. During the fall they would drop bombs One of my neighbors was over here crying about it > Boo Hoo

Me and trees have "NEVER" been freinds, Had 1 fall on my car 1 time and total it......kinda funny lookin back on it now

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that really stinks! Acorns can be just as damaging (if not more) than hail.

I always keep things like these in mind when parking. I never park near trees, grass (sprinklers/landscapers FTL), shopping carts, or anyone else! :cursing:

Post Thanks / Like
    My dd is a Ford Taurus Wagon. I wondered what happened to the whole roof. Sure enough it`s the acorns.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain I drive my car for business, and sometinmes I have no choice as to where I park. I got a ding or two from those damn acorns while I was in a meeting with a customer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any good PDR people in your area? If so that would be my first suggestion! My PDR here in Omaha does fantastic work. I have only seen him chip paint on one dent, it was on my fathers Benz. he had a huge dent, from a guy doing a hit and run in the airport. It was on the front fender, right over the body line. The chip he caused was probably half the size of a dime. He of course fixed it for free, did a fantastic job painting it. you would never be able to tell!

He charged 380 bucks to do the whole car. There was probably 50+ minor door dings throughout the entire vehicle. Did a superb job! So PDR would definitely be the first choice in this.

As far as the bra goes, It probably wouldn`t hurt to try. I would suggest the clear bra that is sprayed onto the finish. It is a ton more durable than the 3m stuff. Plus It will not yellow over time. If you want the details on it I can call my paint store tomorrow and get the web address sent to you. It is terrific stuff!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    PDR is a good idea. I got a small dent in an aluminum hood a couple of years ago. The PDR guy took it out in minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    mikey, tnks. I thought that with the number of dents that the dent dr`s would be out of the question, but I will look into it-am curious as to whether or not aluminum is more/less difficult than steel to work with.

If you do come across that web site please post it, I was not aware of a spray on product.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is funny is that my girls RL had an aluminum hood, and after $9500 in hail damage, the hood was no where near as bad as the roof or trunk...
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

One Trick Pony
    Post Thanks / Like
    just think... it could be worse... we have big pine cones
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    ~Vince Lombardi

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7_iLP8D48E

ArmorCoat makes it. The above video is from some TV show and gives you a good idea of what it can do for you. I talked to my local paint guys and they had a couple test panels in there showroom. I took my key and drug it down the panel with armorcoat and it didnt do a damn thing to it! It is pretty damn tough stuff. Plus any good paint guy could lay it down with no issues. Plus it will never yellow.

heres the website:
    http://armorcoatusa.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    This has been a record year for acorns. We have one large oak that has blanketed the yard, driveway and sidewalks with acorns since late summer. They just keep coming. I filled 1/2 a trash can with them just cleaning off the driveway for Halloween, so that the trick or treaters would not be skating over a layer of these little wooden ball bearings. I`ve fallen a couple of times just trying to walk over them.

My Benz has an aluminum hood and deck lid, so it stays in the garage unless I`m driving it. The one car that sits outside gets moved to the one corner of the driveway where the acorns do not fall directly on it.

At one time, I heard there was some kind of treatment the tree guys can do to an oak tree to stop acorn formation, but I`ll have to research this again before I can claim it as fact.

I am grateful, however, that it`s not a walnut tree!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will look into the armorcoat product, tnks for the heads up mikey.

Wonder how the stuff is removed in the event a panel has to be painted?

Thread Information