Post Thanks / Like

Nelly`s Nightmare Vacation: Part 2 ? Nightmare Becomes a Dream

Part 2 ? Nightmare Becomes a Dream

So, after 18 hours of trying to clean everything exposed to the outside elements, I thought Nelly was ready for a good polishing. I decided to do the roof first as it had the least amount of tar oils to begin with.

I used my Flex 3401 and Menzerna Final Polish on a Lake Country white CCS pad (Nelly had a full polish only a couple months prior) set at speed 4.5. Here is the white pad after doing what I thought was a clean roof (and cleaned once on-the-fly!):

Anyway, it was done and so was I ? cleaned the pad and called it a looong day.

Time to do the front facia and hood?started with a couple new pieces of blue Clay Magic (I love that stuff).

CM Clay on 1/2 of facia.

CM clay from the hood.

Yuk ? this after all of the washing I had done!

Time to polish the hood. Same set up: Flex 3401 / Menz FP on LC CCS white, set at 4.5, one on-the-fly cleaning.

I hand polished all of the small / thin areas using Menz FP on a white hand polishing pad (1 inch wide lips in facia and trunk area, door sills, under the side mirrors, rolled quarter panel metal in wheel wells, underside of hood and trunk.

I finished the day by polishing the roof and hood with Wolfgang`s Paintwork Polish Enhancer applied with the Flex 3401 using a gray LC flat pad at speed setting 3.5. I was pleased with the results ? sorry, no pic (it was getting dark and I was tired).

Now for the fun part ? sealing the roof and hood. My first order of Blackfire Wet Diamond arrived Friday afternoon (to replace the Meg`s NXT I had used for years).

I used a gold hand applicator to apply it to tight areas that the LC Gold pad wouldn`t reach without over lapping uncleaned panels or where the Flex backing plate wouldn`t reach.

I finished with a CL Gold pad on the Flex 3401, speed setting 2.0, three leg star pattern.

What a joy to use this combination! The BFWD went on very smoothly and super thin ? it took very little to do each panel (two recharges each). I removed the polish after 20 minutes, by hand, using a dense MF cloth ? it came off easier than any product I have used to date. The finish after one application was slick and wet looking, even on a white car.

One coat of BFWD. This is a good shot to use for comparisions. The coated roof is at the bottom of the image, a rear dark-tint window in the center and the clean (but not sealed) trunk lid at the top. Except for the orange peel finish on the roof and dark glass (which acts like the black mast on a TV screen), the single coat of BFWD reflection is impressive.

The next morning I applied a second layer using the same method?it made a noticeable improvement which even my wife could distinguish! I think it is almost stunning.

Over the next couple days and into next weekend I`ll polish the rest of Nelly and apply two layers of BFWD (can`t do it all at once during the week `cause I have a job!).

Next Sunday I hope to top off with a coat of Fuzion (which I really like on Nelly). I`ll post completed pics in a week or so.

Thanks for reading my long posts.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice detail, very wet looking. very informative write-up....Well Done Mate :hurray:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks - I`ll post better pics next week when Nelly is done...but dang that BFWD is impressive stuff!

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it worked out for you
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great work on Nelly, looks very wet:drool5:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Thread Information