Post Thanks / Like

WHats your glass cleaning process?

Hello everyone,

what is your process for glass cleaning? On customer cars that are not well kept I notice that even after I wash the glass during the wash and clean them with my favorite, NXT Glass Cleaner and a microfiber that the glass still has water spots.

Anyone ever compound and buff out glass. I usually clay the glass then go to glass cleaner but those tiny water spots on certain lighting still appear.

What do you guys do, M105 it

Seriously though, what works for you?
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nick...

For interior and exterior glass, I use Sprayway Glass Cleaner with a low-lint MF towel. Sprayway is streak free and does a great job.

For water spots on glass I use one of three products either by hand, or for extremely stubborn "etched" spots, PC with Orange Pad.

1. One Grand Special Touch. Specifically developed for water spots. (by hand)

2. Barkeeper`s Friend. (by hand)

3. Zaino Clear-View Glass Polish. (PC/Orange Pad)
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

TOGWT
    There are two categories of ?water spots?-

1) Stage One Corrosion

[: defined as a surface with light to moderate corrosion damage to the paint surface]

(Stage One Corrosion) alkaline watermarks consist of calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) both of which are basic (alkaline pH 10) that alight on the surface; ultra violet (heat) radiation (UVR) will leave a white ?water mark?, the minute crystals bond to the surface, they will not wash off as they are insoluble and if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark, remove surface deposits with detailer?s clay and an acetic acid pH 2.0 (vinegar) to naturalise the alkaline

2) Stage Two Corrosion

[: definition when the dirt/corrosion deposits are no longer on the surface but have started to break down the molecular structure, leaving an etched or white haze on the surface after the stain has been removed, with moderate to serious paint damage]

Below surface (etched) acidic watermarks - are caused by an aggressive alkaline or an acidic solution (acid rain, bird excrement or industrial fallout) causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark. Unlike water spots which typically have a white outline of the spot, acid rain etching is smaller and you can see the damage in the clear coat.

Etched acid rain spots are one of the most difficult paint defects to remove so be patient as it will probably take more then one attempt to remove them. Acid spots require an abrasive polish to level the surface (some stubborn marks may require wet sanding) and an alkaline solution to neutralize them, simply rinsing a vehicle with deionised water or tap water activates / reactivates the acid concentrates.

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles ? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.

Post Thanks / Like

Glitz!

My routine window cleaning consists of cleaning with Glitz in roughly a 5-1 ratio, (give or take a smidge) and Scott paper towel, which leaves no residue. Then I clean again and wipe with a microfiber towel using Glitz again, which seems to clean up anything that might be left. Klasse AIO on the side and rear windows...and once a year I apply Aquapel to the windshield, which is really great rain repellant, and makes bugs easy to wipe off during the summer. Sometimes, on the windshield a wet microfiber towel is all it takes to get a clean windshield given the Aquapel treatment.

Interestingly, an aircraft technician friend of mine could not get the "haze" off the inside of his windows using Bounty paper towels and windex. Let me demonstrate with Glitz and Scott paper towels I say... You can guess the rest of the story...he was amazed and thrilled..

Post Thanks / Like
    Where does one find Glitz, besides Australia? I checked some of the detailing product online stores and did not find it. Maybe Lowes or a hardware chain? Any feedback appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not own a rotary, but if I did, I would definitely try out Meguiar`s M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me it`s Prima Clarity and a Paradise Glass Cleaning cloth. I`ve tried most of the rest of the biggies like stoners, sprayaway, and others and I have found nothing that works as well as this combo.

If I am completely out of this, my next choice would be Meguiar`s Detailer Line Glass Cleaner. It will streak a little more than the Clarity though, so I have to double check a lot.

The Clarity is almost wipe on, wipe off. It rocks!

As far as polishing, I`ll have to check out that article on the Meg`s stuff and others. Haven`t needed to do that yet.

D!
    D!Tail Guru
    TSGAutoCare
    Salt Lake City, Utah

TOGWT
    [Glass is extremely hard and I don`t believe any `etched` marks or scratches are going to be removed by hand. Water mineral deposits can often be removed but not actual etching, not even close.

Usually to remove scratching from glass requires a cernium oxide abrasive and a lot of pressure.

Here is a review I did of the Lake Country glass polishing kit, I believe autogeek sells this product under the diamondnite (sp?) name.]
    TH0001
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...scratches.html

Thread Information