Thread: Clear bra...

Post Thanks / Like

Clear bra...

not the one you`re thinking of

Do you guys find it harder to detail around or on the clear bra itself?
    Would you have it installed on your car for the extra protection?

I just looked at my front end of my black car and oh man.. millions of tiny chips
    Thus, wondering if it is worth doing the clear bra on the next new car ????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m thinking of doing it to mine.
    Just use painters tape to keep wax out of seem and your good to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely worth it on the next new car! Now that I`ve done it myself, I can`t imagine any of my future vehicles not having one.
    So many products to try, not enough cars to try `em on...

TOGWT
    I would rather install / periodically replace a `clear bra` than drive a vehicle with lots of marks on its front, until I do paint chip repairs

Next vehicle Maserati Quattroporte (if birthday wishes come true) I`m going to have a (removable) full vinyl wrap installed

Post Thanks / Like

Have not heard about the full body vinyl wrap.

How much does it costs roughly and what company does that?
    More info would be great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOGWT
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonyn View Post
    How much does it costs roughly and what company does that?
    More info would be great.
    As I don`t recommend anything I`ve never tried as soon as its done I`ll let you know. I`ve seen this guys work (but only photographs thus far) it looks good - will keep you updated

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m removing mine. I don`t like detiling around it, and my car is so loaded with chips and pitting beyond the film that it just seems pointless. Might as well keep a unifrm apperance right?

IMO I`d rather repaint the hood and fenders than install the film on my car again.
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I`m removing mine. I don`t like detiling around it, and my car is so loaded with chips and pitting beyond the film that it just seems pointless. Might as well keep a unifrm apperance right?

IMO I`d rather repaint the hood and fenders than install the film on my car again.
    That was alwasy a concern of mine with respect to a clear bra. I thought that if I got tagged with large enough debris it might cut through the clear bra, which seems awfully thin.
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    IME comparing films by touch, the Ventureshield film feels thicker and seems more elastic than 3M ClearBra film. IME comparing films by looks, I think the 3M film is a little less noticeable, but that may be because I`m comparing it to the Ventureshield on my car; I know exactly where the edges are and what panels are covered. I went with Ventureshield over 3M and have no regrets. Even my sideview mirrors have the film on them...no worries about having to polish those suckers and tape all around them.
    So many products to try, not enough cars to try `em on...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    That was alwasy a concern of mine with respect to a clear bra. I thought that if I got tagged with large enough debris it might cut through the clear bra, which seems awfully thin.
    Oh I haven`t had anything cut through the film...I was saying that my hood after the 18" of clear bra is hammered with chips! The paint on my Acura is by far the worst I have ever had as far as chipping goes.

I think your Lexus woud be much better!
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post

I would agree with you on that.I just walked over to our Jaguar shop and was looking at a 2007 Xk conv super charged goes goes for close to 100 grand .They put a bra on it which makes the paint look like it has a huge amount of orange peel so much that when you look at it in the sun it`s even cloudy looking .I didn`t take my camera to work today if the car is still here on Tuesday will take some pictures.Pictures is the only true way to explain how bad it looks.This has convinced me not to put one on my vette .
    Adam

TOGWT
    Like all things I think it has a lot to do with the skill / experience of the installer (15% product, 85% installation)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Like all things I think it has a lot to do with the skill / experience of the installer (15% product, 85% installation)
    Bingo!

I have had several bras on several cars. The Ventureshield stuff that is out there now is far and away better than anything else out there. If installed properly, and taken care of, its almost completely invisible.

Many people have bad impressions of paint protection films because of inferior product or installs. I`ve had both on my cars in the past and really learned a ton. It`s just like with detailing products, the film and experience of those using it just keeps getting better and better, but there are still some hack job installs and products out there.

D!
    D!Tail Guru
    TSGAutoCare
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Thread Information