Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Body Solvent=

I bought a gallon jug of this ,thinking it might be as good or close to tarminator.
    WRRRRRROOONNNNNGGGGG.
    Big let down.
    But using tarminator can get kinda expensive.You see I do a lot of cars that the folkes won`t get washed but maybe once every three or four months.The tar and bugs are purty bad,and the body solvent is purty much useless.
    Am needing something that works that won`t break the bank.
    Am thinking bout trying bug squash by poor boys.
    Anybody got any suggestions.
    Wish you could get tarminator in a five gallon bucket

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the product correctly?

how long are you letting it dwell on the surface?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NIBBLER View Post

Wish you could get tarminator in a five gallon bucket
    No but you can buy it by the case directly from the Stoner website... (5 gallons is LOT of Tarminator!!!!!)
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure why the body solvent isnt working for him though

how did you apply it or work it in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Kerosene. It`s cheap... car dealers use it all the time. Won`t harm the paint and it will cut the tar.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    About the only product from Megs I don`t care for. Try Tardis.

Post Thanks / Like
    I let it sit for a minute or so.
    I use it full strength.I have sprayed it on before I wet the vehicle ,after I wet the vehicle.Its does ok on light tar stains but the heavier places it does not cut it.I go behind it with tarminator and watch it melt.
    I did two cars a couple weeks ago that hadnot been washed in over a year. Bad wasnot the word for it.I like a challenge ,but dang people.

Post Thanks / Like
    A petroleum based degreaser don`t bit so hard on bugs, for that you will need a alkalie degreaser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NIBBLER View Post

I bought a gallon jug of this ,thinking it might be as good or close to tarminator.
    WRRRRRROOONNNNNGGGGG.
    Big let down.
    But using tarminator can get kinda expensive.You see I do a lot of cars that the folkes won`t get washed but maybe once every three or four months.The tar and bugs are purty bad,and the body solvent is purty much useless.
    Am needing something that works that won`t break the bank.
    Am thinking bout trying bug squash by poor boys.
    Anybody got any suggestions.
    Hi-Temp Prep Wash......
    CG Grime Reaper.....
    HT Tar Remover......

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t think you could use grime reaper on paint?
    I would love the hi temp,but don`t have access to one yet.

I am thinking bout buying a five gallon jug of the tarminator though.

Post Thanks / Like
    NIBBLER I didn`t think you could use grime reaper on paint?
    I would love the hi temp,but don`t have access to one yet.

I am thinking bout buying a five gallon jug of the tarminator though.

Disreagrd the comment about I don`t have access yet.Was on a ozone expedition.
    Am checking it out now

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried the kerosene route and it really makes a stinky mess, have you tried the pinnacle bug and tar scrubber, I get great results with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I ordered

A dozen cans of tarminator.I also used the bug squash from poor boys.It did a little better on tar ,but it did great on bugs.
    Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    VXR Marc off DetailingWorld mentioned that it`s rubbish. If you need a strong wash, Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss or Citrus Wash clear will be your choices. Work very well, clean well, and best of all - cost efficient, @$19 a gallon.

TOGWT
    Solvents

There are three main types;
    1. Oxygenated Solvents- alcohols, glycol ethers, ketones, esters, and glycol ether esters. Oxygenated solvents are synthesized from other chemicals to form the desired solvent. Those solvents are typically of a high purity with specifications ranging from 99.0% to 99.9% purity.

2. Hydrocarbon Solvents (Petroleum Distillates) - aliphatic (include methane, propane, and kerosene, they are flammable and may be explosively flammable).

3. Aromatic hydrocarbons- which are the most toxic compounds found in petroleum products and include such substances as para-xylene (Benzene, Toluene, Ethyl benzene, and Xylene), which are all volatile organic compounds (VOC)

Notes- when using solvents always use Nitrile medical gloves (usually the blue or purple ones) if you are going to be using them for any length of time.

Solvents are used for chemical cleaning, and as a carrier system, it also makes products workable and to provide spread ability, as is the case with Carnauba wax, which in its natural state is rock hard.

The low surface tension of silicones is sometimes added to solvents to improve the wetting ability and to improve the surface contact.

Solvents require an aerobic cure (exposure to air) to allow them to evaporate (outgas); some solvents contain formaldehyde, which dissolves both natural rubber and synthetic compounds, and some contain petroleum distillates specifically hydrocarbon and oxygenated solvents, which represent most of the total organic solvents used.

Organic solvents can be classified by chemical structure, for example water is a solvent, but is inorganic. Solvents provide solubility for the other ingredients, dependent upon the type of solvent used will determine the product`s drying time.

Use a safe solvent; Anhydrous Isopropyl alcohol , Isoamyl acetate(Banana oil) or d-Limonene (citrus based) that does not contain any harmful components (Butyl, Heptanes or Xylene or hydrocarbon aliphatic solvents) With all cleaning products (especially solvents) always test a small inconspicuous area first to ensure it won`t discolour, stain or etch the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material

After the paint surface has been subjected to a chemical cleaning its protective layer (s) have been removed and the paint surface left without protection, so it is very important that a wax or polymer protection be applied immediately.

MSDS
    Read the manufacturers application instructions and then obtain and read the MSDS sheet to ascertain the chemicals used, although it should be said that an MSDS is a document that contains details of the hazards associated with a particular chemical and provides information regarding its safe use. The MSDS is required to state the chemical`s risks, safety and impact on the environment.

Environmental Commitment- always dispose of all non-biodegradable materials from your vehicle cleaning in a responsible manner

Thread Information